There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Thanks again for the summary. I agree on most points but disagree on Roman. A good coach will figure out how to allow his players to be effective. Roman has seen his receivers get shut down two weeks in a row and rather than adjusting the routes and patterns, he keeps pouring out the same old vanilla and the opponents are stomping it in the dirt.

Today we moaned about how losing Vernon Davis was the kiss of death. Well, that turned out to be a part of it but it needn't be. Last Thursday night we watched Andy Reid's team start a game with the 1st AND 2nd string TEs out of action, yet he managed to put in patterns that allowed Alex Smith to keep drives alive on 3rd down throwing to a TE that nobody even knew before that game. THAT is good coaching. Sitting around crying because VD couldn't play is not.
Lol all the same people freaking out will completely forget these last 2 games once we destroy the Rams.

#bandwagonfans
I believe Har-man are enamoured with number and variety of formations and plays they can produce instead of finding something that works and sticking with it until the opponent stops it.

If this was Bill Walsh - he would keep doing something over and over again until they stop it or do something else with the same look to fake the opponent.

With Kaep, Harman has a shinny toy that they can't stop playing with. Too close to trees to see the forest.

The OBJECT of the game is to win. NOT to show all the fancy things they can do.

When was Kaep successful (even in the SB)... when he just have one (maybe 2 reads) and he lets it fly or runs.
The fade in the end is not a good play for him. He has to put touch on the ball and have timing. What the hell? he can gun it like 100mph.
Its ironic that he goes for the fade while the other QB throws a dart to VD in the previous year's big game.

Harman has to make it simple for Kaep

Limit reads to 1 or 2
No Changing plays in the line (This alone wil save us time outs and penalties).
Read 1, 2 let it rip
not there just run to get 1st down.

Hell he can throw a sideline 10 yard out pattern to a covered WR and it would a great chance of being completed.
He would throw it so fast that I don't think it would be interecepted.

Keep it simple - there is no shame in that - Thats what they did to Elway when he was first starting.

The less he thinks the better he will be.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Gore 11/82. Hunter and Gore combined for 4 carries in the second half.

Gore is just fine.

Thats just sad. What are Harbagh and Roman thinking.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Lets stop looking at his career numbers and focus on now...

53 completions
94 attempts
54.57 pct
689 yards
3 TD's
4 INTS
8 Sacks
2 Fumbles
64.5 rating

That's fair...just did it because I am trying to get a full 16 game look in week 9. I do it every week (and also did it with Alex) and I had no complaints when he was great after week 1.

New year, time to track his current numbers. So far they are bad, very bad.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
  • We have faced 3 playoff opponents to start the season
  • Culliver, Crabtree, Manningham and James all injured to start the season, followed by Vernon Davis, Ian Williams.
  • That is two of Kap's top 4 targers missing from the offense, and 3/4 today.
  • One of these games was an automatic loss, as no one goes up to Seattle and beats the Seahawks.

There have been a lot of things going against us to start the season. Now, Aldon and Willis might be out for an extended period of time. AND we're going to St. Louis to take on the Rams on a shortened week. Things aren't looking good now, but not much more can go wrong at this point. I hate to blame it on the football gods bending us over and giving it to us raw, but we've had s**t luck so far.

I'm not gonna sit here and say things are going to get better because for all we know Kap could get a concussion next week and Justin Smith could tear an ACL. I'm just saying this 1-2 record does not represent how good this team is.

We have the softest part of our schedule coming up in a couple weeks, and that's hopefully when we'll be getting back most of our players from injury. It's a long season.
You summarized most of my thoughts. Are first 5 games are ridiculous. Green Bay, Seattle and Colts. 3 playoff teams. Now the NFL has scheduled us the Rams on a short week and we didn't beat last year and then we get another playoff team in the Texans. We could easily be 1-4. This will be a rough season. It already has been and it's only week 3. Losing Crabs and VD were Kaeps biggest targets that he had a connection with. Aldon is off the deep end and Injuries and penalties are overflowing.

It just feels like the team doesn't have any swagger, no identity. Living off of last years fame.

Plenty of things to gripe about right now but there were 3 things that irked me.

1. The first play: Whitners hit. These new rules are making football stupid. Awesome hit by Whitner. He was already coming in and his head or shoulder would have hit Bradshaws body. Bradshaw lowered his head so we got helmet to helmet. I don't see how that's Whitners fault. A RB can lead with their helmet but a defender can't go low?

2. The play right before Viniteri's 2nd FG. Is that not Intentional Grounding? Maybe I'm confused... Luck wasn't out of the tackles, he didn't throw it back to the line of scrimmage and the ball was at the feet of a lineman? Maybe i'm missing something.... That would have pushed that FG back and maybe given better field position.

3. The PI calls. Many times there is jersey's being grabbed, but why can't we do that crap and Seattle lives and dies with the jersey tugs?? Maybe we just need to be more physical in the first 5 yards and show thats our style??? All the penalties just seem unlike San Fran.
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
Lol all the same people freaking out will completely forget these last 2 games once we destroy the Rams.

#bandwagonfans

who cares about beating good teams when we can pound crappy teams.....

Originally posted by dj43:
Thanks again for the summary. I agree on most points but disagree on Roman. A good coach will figure out how to allow his players to be effective. Roman has seen his receivers get shut down two weeks in a row and rather than adjusting the routes and patterns, he keeps pouring out the same old vanilla and the opponents are stomping it in the dirt.

Today we moaned about how losing Vernon Davis was the kiss of death. Well, that turned out to be a part of it but it needn't be. Last Thursday night we watched Andy Reid's team start a game with the 1st AND 2nd string TEs out of action, yet he managed to put in patterns that allowed Alex Smith to keep drives alive on 3rd down throwing to a TE that nobody even knew before that game. THAT is good coaching. Sitting around crying because VD couldn't play is not.

Excellent point
This short week is a good time to get back to basics offensively, defensively and on special teams. Players and coaches. Too full of themselves all around. Frankly, except for that one powerful drive, they have looked worse than the competition in all departments and in every way, including coaching.

Let CK play his natural game. There is nothing magical about staying in the pocket when your skills are outside that confined space.

53 completions
94 attempts
54.57 pct
689 yards
3 TD's
4 INTS
8 Sacks
2 Fumbles
64.5 rating

Good point...we should look at before and after teams figured our schemes out

53 completions
94 attempts
54.57 pct
689 yards
3 TD's
4 INTS
8 Sacks
2 Fumbles
64.5 rating

Well said. Last year is over, it's what you've done this year. I think too much was made of him too early. He needs time to develop, and he needs good WRs.
I was despondent for a week after our loss to Seattle. Emotionally, I feel like throwing in the towel on the season. Like most of the posters on this board, I want to find someone or something to blame. It makes me feel better to think I know what the problem is. However, is it possible that we are over analyzing what's really happening, and refuse to accept the obvious answer? In short, with the exception of Boldin, we have ZERO offensive weapons. Kap has plenty of time, but there are clearly no obvious options.

Think back to the big games Kap had last year, Chicago, NE, ATL and several others. He had a lot of big plays using Crabs, Davis and at times, Moss. None of those guys are currently available. What I've seen the last two weeks is a QB desperately looking for his big play WR/TE. In doing so, he's completely ignoring the gimme's underneath. Last year that was a very welcome contrast to the previous QB, particularly because there was usually someone open. This year he looks almost foolish, holding the ball for what seems like forever, waiting for someone to get open, but they don't.

IMHO, Kap and the coaching staff are currently in denial about their WR/TE talent and what they can and can't do. If/when they except the reality for what it is, we will change our game plan drastically. Dare I say pre Kap style?

In other words, we just need to adjust until we get healthy. Don't discount the fact that Gore's a year older and we don't have Davis, Crabs or Ham. This O would look totally different.

BTW, why do we let our rookie receivers end on a sour note? I think Patton had one target for a drop and then we don't go back to him. We did the same thing with AJ last year. It can't be good to send those guys home with the taste of failure.
By the way. whatever happened to that phrase

"Throw the WR open"

[ Edited by TDNiners on Sep 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by TDNiners:
By the way. whatever happened to that phrase

"Throw the WR open"

They turn into picks because you're throwing to s**tty receivers that cant or don't know how to fight for the ball.
https