There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Marvin remember when I said last week that its not only the scheme but personnel?

again this week, with Vernon out for the game, we made a choice of activating a new player...a FB..supposedly for special teams sake...although I don't know who on special teams he replaced this week.

We already struggled with both Boldin and Vernon last week....so you would think with Vernon not out there we would struggle more. So why not add an offensive weapon like Baldwin who adds size and speed if anything else....a threat to the outside maybe.

or if Vernon is not going to be out there, and we are going to need to move McDonald to Vernon's spot...which leaves McDonald's old spot to Celek...well, why didn't we activate Chris Harper to spell Walker/McDonald's role....while again McDonald is replacing Vernon.

we have a 6'5 220lb 33 year old Vet WR running down field covering punts.....he is also taking up an active roster spot, that could go to a receiver who could help the offense.

I really don't know what the coaches are doing anymore.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM ]
the simple fact this team has had a lot success the last two years and they are simply not as hungry as the were.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Did you watch the game. 11 for 82 something like 8 for 70 yards in the first half. Frank is just fine he just needs the ball.

ROFL i know right? Marvin you usually nail it but I'm scratching my head at this post game thread this time.

Read my response above

I did, I stick to what I said.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
LOL.

I guess I should have stated it differently.

Frank wasn't the problem in this game....but I think Hunter needs the ball more. Much more burst in his step. Frank had a good day today on limited carries and should probably have gotten the ball more in the second half.

Sorry...after rereading it sounds differently than I had intended.

Hunter didn't really look good today, besides the TD run, so not sure where you get he needs the ball more. Frank still has it, but he cant run the ball if they aren't handing it off to him.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Marvin remember when I said last week that its not only the scheme but personal.

again this week, with Vernon out for the game, we made a choice of activating a new player...a FB..supposedly for special teams sake...although I don't know who on special teams he replaced this week.

We already struggled with both Boldin and Vernon last week....so you would think with Vernon not out there we would struggle more. So why not add an offensive weapon like Baldwin who adds size and speed if anything else....a threat to the outside maybe.

or if Vernon is not going to be out there, and we are going to need to move McDonald to Vernon's spot...which leaves McDonald's old spot to Celek...well, why didn't we activate Chris Harper to spell Walker/McDonald's role....while again McDonald is replacing Vernon.

we have a 6'5 220lb 33 year old Vet WR running down field covering punts.....he is also taking up an active roster spot, that could go to a receiver who could help the offense.

I really don't know what the coaches are doing anymore.

OR

We could've just kept MarQuise Gray...who was very impressive in the preseason.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
OR

We cut or traded guys we should have kept I guess.
Originally posted by rondoman:
OR

for a while now.
OR

for a while now.

Not really...it was Soap's time to move on

RJF got 22 million dollars...Niners said no thank you

Walker got 18 million...once again no thank you

Goldson got 40 million...a huge no thank you

The only player I believe we gave up on too early was Alex...and I stand by that.
Originally posted by Jcool:
LOL.

I guess I should have stated it differently.

Frank wasn't the problem in this game....but I think Hunter needs the ball more. Much more burst in his step. Frank had a good day today on limited carries and should probably have gotten the ball more in the second half.

Sorry...after rereading it sounds differently than I had intended.

Hunter didn't really look good today, besides the TD run, so not sure where you get he needs the ball more. Frank still has it, but he cant run the ball if they aren't handing it off to him.

Well, Hunter was kinda busy getting hit in the backfield.

Lets put it this way...I'd LOVE to be wrong and I'd like to see Frank play forever at a high level...I just don't think it's gonna happen. He had some nice runs today.

IMO opinion tho, I think Hunter needs more carries. I'm sure peeps here are gonna disagree and jump all over me...but that's how I see it.
Originally posted by susweel:
the simple fact this team has had a lot success the last two years and they are simply not as hungry as the were.

And the receivers suck. Plus Kap needs to keep on growing. He's not great at reading the defense yet.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well, Hunter was kinda busy getting hit in the backfield.

Lets put it this way...I'd LOVE to be wrong and I'd like to see Frank play forever at a high level...I just don't think it's gonna happen. He had some nice runs today.

IMO opinion tho, I think Hunter needs more carries. I'm sure peeps here are gonna disagree and jump all over me...but that's how I see it.

Kind of proved by point... Gore was gashing the Colts in the first half. Hunter was being stuffed in the backfield. Now why should Gore give up the limited carries for a guy not cutting it so far this year? Now is Gore going to play at a high level forever, of course not. But he has yet to show a decline in production so why limited him because well someday he might not be as good so might as well start now.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Kind of proved by point... Gore was gashing the Colts in the first half. Hunter was being stuffed in the backfield. Now why should Gore give up the limited carries for a guy not cutting it so far this year? Now is Gore going to play at a high level forever, of course not. But he has yet to show a decline in production so why limited him because well someday he might not be as good so might as well start now.

In defense of Hunter, when he is in the game Roman tends to call these slow-developing misdirection runs from the pistol. Defenses are getting instant penetration into the backfield as they are no longer paralyzed by the fake. They know exactly what to do after studying it this off-season. Hunter doesn't have a chance on some of these runs.

Frank's vision and footwork looked really good today. He should continue to be the guy. But Hunter is more physically explosive and hits the hole faster.
One silver lining - GB & ATL (superbowl contenders) are 1-2 same as us.
OR

for a while now.

Not really...it was Soap's time to move on

RJF got 22 million dollars...Niners said no thank you

Walker got 18 million...once again no thank you

Goldson got 40 million...a huge no thank you

The only player I believe we gave up on too early was Alex...and I stand by that.

not talking about salary cap decisions.

Gray
Cam Johnson (Seattle stacks up on pass rushers and it has payed off for them with their other injuries...we on the other had keep Special team "Aces")
Ginn- for special teams and speed on the outside

wish we could've speedsters who could get separation just with their speed or threat of their speed... Owusu or Ricardo Lockette.... again we are struggling to get separation...most of our receivers don't have elite speed..... it would be nice to have at least one guy who might stretch the field.
Frank was a beast today. He might not have top speed or acceleration but that has never been his game. He fought for every yard. The colts just started stacking the box when they realized they could play man to man on our WRs and not need help.