There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Not to mention just about every ex-scout I've seen on twitter whos looked at the game film.

This. I blame the WR's partly, but I also blame the playcalling for not finding ways to scheme these guys open. New England for example does significantly more with even lesser receivers, now whether they are actually catching those passes is another issue altogether but McDaniel is finding ways for a bunch of rookies and scrubs to flash open, to get a step or two on the defensive backs, primarily through scheme. Harbaugh and Roman need to work on that, whether its getting McDonald open or Boldin or Patton or Williams, there's no secondary in the NFL that can continually shut down everyone, something has to give but as of yet, this offense hasn't been able to do so.

Regardless of the reasoning, Kaepernick is not being given any open targets to throw to, not sure how people can blame that on him, there's been simply nothing there.

If Kap doesn't have open target then he needs to make an excurive decision and get the hell out of there quickly and manufacture yards himself, go back to the coach and tell him nobody is open and let's run it down their throats.

But no, he strode there not using his ability or brain.

He has open receivers, he just doesn't see them, sees them late and can't make an accurate throw.

There were only a couple of times I saw that and one was a big one where he missed Patten in the endzone. Either way, his ass needs to report to Harbaugh and tell him to run it down their throats because the pass isn't working. Either that or take off and run it sooner into the clock.
Seriously. You are going to come at me with 1 freakin play? Should I dig up Alex Smith "highlights"?

Kap didn't play well. He missed a few passes. It happens. Calling for Alex right now is NUTS. Makes me start to agree with what fans of other teams say about our fanbase.

SMH.

Dont get discouraged with the fan base bro, remember its the first back to back loss we've had in a long time. People are losing there minds right now.
He has open receivers, he just doesn't see them, sees them late and can't make an accurate throw.

Very rarely. Basically, this is what is happening, teams are taking away Boldin and trying to stop VD, they are leaving Kyle Williams alone with single man coverage and saying "go for it, we're not scurred." There needs to be a competent receiver across from Boldin who CAN get separation. Williams is not that guy, I'd be quite happy to see him fully replaced by Moore or Patton and give them some opportunities to see what they can do. At some point it comes down to the WR simply beating the defensive back and seeing as the wide receiver already knows exactly where they need to go, the advantage is in their favor. Yet Williams has not taken advantage of that and I don't see the point of continually giving him snaps, let's see what Moore and Patton can do with more playing time.
Not to mention just about every ex-scout I've seen on twitter whos looked at the game film.

This. I blame the WR's partly, but I also blame the playcalling for not finding ways to scheme these guys open. New England for example does significantly more with even lesser receivers, now whether they are actually catching those passes is another issue altogether but McDaniel is finding ways for a bunch of rookies and scrubs to flash open, to get a step or two on the defensive backs, primarily through scheme. Harbaugh and Roman need to work on that, whether its getting McDonald open or Boldin or Patton or Williams, there's no secondary in the NFL that can continually shut down everyone, something has to give but as of yet, this offense hasn't been able to do so.

Regardless of the reasoning, Kaepernick is not being given any open targets to throw to, not sure how people can blame that on him, there's been simply nothing there.

If Kap doesn't have open target then he needs to make an excurive decision and get the hell out of there quickly and manufacture yards himself, go back to the coach and tell him nobody is open and let's run it down their throats.

thats not what the experts are saying.
Originally posted by susweel:

thats not what the experts are saying.

Look at it this way, at least he's not in his 8th year and still not throwing to open receivers.
Originally posted by Marvin49: LOL... So....he's a bad coordinator because he hasn't racked up huge yards against good defenses? Ya know...good defenses tend to not get exposed. You know that right? If they are good defenses they are good because NOBODY gets big yards on them. Thats why they are good. The idea is to find a way to beat those stingy defenses

And Roman is still looking for it. In fact now, his playcalling is starting to make shaky defenses look elite. Indy came in ranked 27th against the run and the 49ers made them look like the old time Baltimore Ravens.

Green Bay finished 11th. Niners have beat them 3 times in a row.

Ask any Green Bay fan if you think their team has a "good" defense. One of the worst secondary's in the NFL, and a defensive coordinator in Capers who has clearly lost his touch and shows even worse strategy and gameplanning than Roman does.

The only other team they played last year in the top 10 was Seattle. That was a series split.

That's put it rather nicely don't you think, considering the 49ers offense has been curb-stomped twice in a row now by Seattle.

In 2011, they beat the best defense in the NFL in the Pittsburg Steelers.

Mind you of course that was with Rapeburger playing on one leg and turning the ball over. That was still the same Steeler defense that got lit up by Tebow a few weeks later.

They also beat the 7th ranked Bengals and the 9th ranked Seahawks twice.

One of those Seahawks games was literally due to Ted Ginn and Ted Ginn alone. Roman has yet to put together any sort of concise gameplan against Seattle that has been effective in his entire tenure with the team. In fact, he's been getting worse as the last two games have shown.

If your standard is "he's bad because he has never exposed a top 10 D for tons of yards" then you are setting him up to fail in this analysis. Then of course you discount the team they DID expose because it's convenient for your argument.

No, my standard is consistent playcalling that attacks a defense's weaknesses, I see the opposite, a guy who goes after a defense's strengths, doesn't challenge them, doesn't force them out of their comfort zone, exactly what happened with Seattle. As I've said again and again, Roman draws up a gameplan, quite often its the wrong one and when it is, oh well, he hasn't shown the ability to adjust it in any real meaningful way. When something is actually WORKING, he outsmarts himself and goes away from it like we saw against Indy yesterday. He looks like a college game running coordinator, a guy with a ton of great ideas but limited in strategy and decision-making. In terms of chess match between a defensive and offensive coordinator, I don't trust him to win out against any opposing coordinators other than Dom Capers, exactly why this offense often looks like the other team knows the playbook and exactly what will be called at any given moment.

This should be clear by now. He is innovative but not a chess player. I don't think he understands the complexities of the pro level offense-defense chess game to respond to good defenses. The results of the last two weeks make it clear. No intermediate stuff behind the linebackers. How about out in the flats behind the safeties that keep cheating up to stop the run/option. How about more swing passes. How about more bunch formations when your WR are getting manhandled one on one. He goes from one approach to another when things don't work but he doesn't seem to be able to clearly see what the defense is handing us. Franky I hope some team makes him a HC at the end of the year.
Originally posted by sharkhawk:
I'm a Hawk fan, but have watched all the Niner games this year and this is what I think is going on.
1. Kaep isn't trusting his eyes. I've seen him pass on several open receivers because he hesitates, giving the D time to close the window.
2. CB's are jamming your receivers at the line throwing off the QB/WR timing. They need to run bubble screens with Davis to get the D on their heels.
3. Gore is looking a little sluggish and doesn't scare anybody. Opposing teams aren't concerned with him breaking a big run, so they don't need to crash the box, which frees up the backers.
4 J. Smith looks like age is finally catching up to him, He has been getting pushed around on run plays and isn't the human wrecking ball he once was.

My two cents.

Some astute observations from a non-fan. Thanks. I have been noticing that about Justin but have been afraid to admit it to myself. Last year he provided the lanes that Aldon zoomed through. Not happening that way this year. Also he's not collapsing the pocket. Bubble screens is a very good idea and sitting down the TE in the zone behind the linebackers. Gore can still find some holes but he just has no zip at the second level. Last year...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by sharkhawk:
I'm a Hawk fan, but have watched all the Niner games this year and this is what I think is going on.
1. Kaep isn't trusting his eyes. I've seen him pass on several open receivers because he hesitates, giving the D time to close the window.
2. CB's are jamming your receivers at the line throwing off the QB/WR timing. They need to run bubble screens with Davis to get the D on their heels.
3. Gore is looking a little sluggish and doesn't scare anybody. Opposing teams aren't concerned with him breaking a big run, so they don't need to crash the box, which frees up the backers.
4 J. Smith looks like age is finally catching up to him, He has been getting pushed around on run plays and isn't the human wrecking ball he once was.

My two cents.

Good post. All valid points but I disagree with #3 completely. Teams ARE loading the box against us. Frank is just fine its definitely between Kap and the WR's. Seattle loaded the box against us and had 9 guys in there at times. Teams still respect Gore I guarantee it. Obviously we all figured our beat up WR core would struggle against the Hawks but against the Colts? This is what everyone is a bit miffed at.

Good objective post Hawk...I actually lie in the middle of this one. Teams aren't stacking 8-9 in the box to stop Gore, they are doing that to force pressure (quick reads/throws) from CK "while" jamming the WR's at the LOS knowing full well we won't have time to go deep (not that we would anyway). They also do this to contain CK and what few read-option plays we run or any off-tackle runs by Hunter. In short, we're completely boxed in. When Gore was hitting on all cylinders back in the day, they never feared his runs off tackle nor his break-away speed BUT knew he'd slowly bleed you to death inside the tackles with an occasional break-away. Therefore defenders would stack 8-10 guys even between the tackles and run blitz, stuffing Gore and putting immediate pressure on Alex who was forced to run for his life immediately. It works. To counter, there is a gaping hole behind the DL and S's right down the middle of the field (easiest throw for a QB) that could be exploited in a few hundred ways but even more with our personnel (McDonald and VD). Throw in some slants, flares and curls to this area with Gore, Hunter and James (or Miller) and this area would be more exploited than a sweat shop!

How many times have we seen Brady, Manning or Brees carve up a defense that put on heavy pressure by doing just what you are saying. This is traditonal WCO, and Kap just hasn't mastered this. I sincerely hope they are working on this or we are in trouble.