There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Name one good defense he has gameplanned well against? In a game where you were like "wow, he really figured how to pick these guys apart?" Beyond the seriously overrated Chicago defense, it hasn't happened, the 49ers racked up an absurd number of yards against weak defenses but consistently had the same issues against better defenses. He has never shown that he grasps exactly how to attack a team's weaknesses, he goes with whatever his gameplan is and if his gameplan doesn't work, well, that's just too bad. Just like yesterday, he seemed determined to have them pass the ball, regardless of what Indy was doing or what was available, he doesn't seem to see the forest through the trees, he draws up a gameplan and if the defense is prepared for it, he really hasn't shown any ability to adjust to that.

You can keep making excuses for him, there were plenty of Ravens fans making excuses for Cam Cameron as well, but I sincerely feel the 49ers can do far better with their playcalling and the results of his limitations are becoming pretty evident for all to see.

I agree that he does not seem to adjust well to take what opposing defenses leave. This has been especially true these past two games.

The best way to attack a defense that puts 8 in the box is to pass the ball. However, with the limited WR situation, it has been almost impossible to throw it down the field. The obvious area that has been open is the 6-10 yard zone immediately beyond the LOS, just behind the LBs. This is an area that Alex Smith took advantage of often but Roman/Kaepernick never seem to see. It is almost like HaRo made the decision to go with CK because he can drive the ball down the field with his cannon but to use something that Alex did would be a regression in their minds. They seem determined to prove that "their" way is the best and that does not include anything that Smith did.

They need to go back and look as some Montana and Young film. Heck, go look at what Peyton did last night. Hitting those short zones really loosens up a defense. In these last two games, the Alex Smith approach would have made a difference given what the defenses were doing. Let's see if they have learned anything come Thursday night.
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree that he does not seem to adjust well to take what opposing defenses leave. This has been especially true these past two games.

The best way to attack a defense that puts 8 in the box is to pass the ball. However, with the limited WR situation, it has been almost impossible to throw it down the field. The obvious area that has been open is the 6-10 yard zone immediately beyond the LOS, just behind the LBs. This is an area that Alex Smith took advantage of often but Roman/Kaepernick never seem to see. It is almost like HaRo made the decision to go with CK because he can drive the ball down the field with his cannon but to use something that Alex did would be a regression in their minds. They seem determined to prove that "their" way is the best and that does not include anything that Smith did.

They need to go back and look as some Montana and Young film. Heck, go look at what Peyton did last night. Hitting those short zones really loosens up a defense. In these last two games, the Alex Smith approach would have made a difference given what the defenses were doing. Let's see if they have learned anything come Thursday night.

WTF? The QB not being able to get the ball anywhere near a WR is probably a bigger problem.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
WTF? The QB not being able to get the ball anywhere near a WR is probably a bigger problem.

Not disagreeing with you just wondering what you think has caused this. Its not like Kap hasn't been hitting small window precision throws before. He did it last season repeatedly. I honestly don't know what is going on. I know our WR aren't scaring anyone but something is different with Kap or with how teams game plan for him or possibly both. The real question will be whether or not he and the coaches adjust. I'll be at the game Thursday night so I would imagine we'll see zero changes this week.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Not disagreeing with you just wondering what you think has caused this. Its not like Kap hasn't been hitting small window precision throws before. He did it last season repeatedly. I honestly don't know what is going on. I know our WR aren't scaring anyone but something is different with Kap or with how teams game plan for him or possibly both. The real question will be whether or not he and the coaches adjust. I'll be at the game Thursday night so I would imagine we'll see zero changes this week.

Thats what baffles me as well. He can make all the throws .Can keep the chains moving and has shown that. Is it the game plan/scheme??
I'm a Hawk fan, but have watched all the Niner games this year and this is what I think is going on.
1. Kaep isn't trusting his eyes. I've seen him pass on several open receivers because he hesitates, giving the D time to close the window.
2. CB's are jamming your receivers at the line throwing off the QB/WR timing. They need to run bubble screens with Davis to get the D on their heels.
3. Gore is looking a little sluggish and doesn't scare anybody. Opposing teams aren't concerned with him breaking a big run, so they don't need to crash the box, which frees up the backers.
4 J. Smith looks like age is finally catching up to him, He has been getting pushed around on run plays and isn't the human wrecking ball he once was.

My two cents.

Yes, that is a big part of the problem. However, the fact the pass patterns have been high school simple has made it almost impossible for receivers to get open.

Get back to some short zones. Use bunch formations, rubs, drags and the like to help them get free.

Right now the best solution would be to have Alex Smith back but since that isn't an option, teach CK to do what Alex did so well...if he can.

Yes, that is a big part of the problem. However, the fact the pass patterns have been high school simple has made it almost impossible for receivers to get open.

Get back to some short zones. Use bunch formations, rubs, drags and the like to help them get free.

Right now the best solution would be to have Alex Smith back but since that isn't an option, teach CK to do what Alex did so well...if he can.

I'm sorry, but ya'll have gone batsh*t nuts.

I liked Alex as much or more than the next guy, but this reactionary response to two down games is freakin' over the top nuts. Ya'll need to RELAX. Its THIS kinda BS that gives Niner fans a bad reputation as bandwagoneers

Nobody is getting open. THATs the problem. WRs can't get separation and teams are taking away Kaps running lanes. He'll adapt...just like he has to every other thing that teams have done to him.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by sharkhawk:
I'm a Hawk fan, but have watched all the Niner games this year and this is what I think is going on.
1. Kaep isn't trusting his eyes. I've seen him pass on several open receivers because he hesitates, giving the D time to close the window.
2. CB's are jamming your receivers at the line throwing off the QB/WR timing. They need to run bubble screens with Davis to get the D on their heels.
3. Gore is looking a little sluggish and doesn't scare anybody. Opposing teams aren't concerned with him breaking a big run, so they don't need to crash the box, which frees up the backers.
4 J. Smith looks like age is finally catching up to him, He has been getting pushed around on run plays and isn't the human wrecking ball he once was.

My two cents.

Good post. All valid points but I disagree with #3 completely. Teams ARE loading the box against us. Frank is just fine its definitely between Kap and the WR's. Seattle loaded the box against us and had 9 guys in there at times. Teams still respect Gore I guarantee it. Obviously we all figured our beat up WR core would struggle against the Hawks but against the Colts? This is what everyone is a bit miffed at.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I liked Alex as much or more than the next guy, but this reactionary response to two down games is freakin' over the top nuts. Ya'll need to RELAX. Its THIS kinda BS that gives Niner fans a bad reputation as bandwagoneers

Nobody is getting open. THATs the problem. WRs can't get separation and teams are taking away Kaps running lanes. He'll adapt...just like he has to every other thing that teams have done to him.

Marvin, look, all he's saying is this: He just wants CK to play with some of the mentality Alex did when WRs were getting helplessly blanketed at times, taking the outlets and gaining as much positive yardage as he could while not committing costly mistakes to hurt the team, and keeping us in the game. We're getting frustrated because he hasn't been playing heady football in the past couple of weeks and you'd like to see improvement after a bad performance instead of more of the same problems.

CK is hesitating on his reads so when he decides to throw, he has not been accurate because it's late or he's tried to scramble and is then throwing off balance. When you have one on one coverage over the top, that's the time to give your guy a shot to win a battle for the ball.

Let's hope it's better on Thursday.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM ]
He missed KW on his second pass. Wide open. Could have been a TD.

Stop living in lala land and come back to reality.

Here is Kaps first pass of the game. KW is wide open 5 yards beyond the sticks. Kap's pass is late and 5 yards off target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbqpBndbQs&t=9m30s
[ Edited by 9erReign on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM ]

Here is Kaps first pass of the game. KW is wide open 5 yards beyond the sticks. Kap's pass is late and 5 yards off target.

LOL. That's one play. What about the ~25 other pass attempts? It's a 2 hour vid. Keep watching.

What about Phil Simms constantly repeating "nobody is open" all throughout the broadcast?
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by sharkhawk:

My two cents.

Good post. All valid points but I disagree with #3 completely. Teams ARE loading the box against us. Frank is just fine its definitely between Kap and the WR's. Seattle loaded the box against us and had 9 guys in there at times. Teams still respect Gore I guarantee it. Obviously we all figured our beat up WR core would struggle against the Hawks but against the Colts? This is what everyone is a bit miffed at.

Good objective post Hawk...I actually lie in the middle of this one. Teams aren't stacking 8-9 in the box to stop Gore, they are doing that to force pressure (quick reads/throws) from CK "while" jamming the WR's at the LOS knowing full well we won't have time to go deep (not that we would anyway). They also do this to contain CK and what few read-option plays we run or any off-tackle runs by Hunter. In short, we're completely boxed in. When Gore was hitting on all cylinders back in the day, they never feared his runs off tackle nor his break-away speed BUT knew he'd slowly bleed you to death inside the tackles with an occasional break-away. Therefore defenders would stack 8-10 guys even between the tackles and run blitz, stuffing Gore and putting immediate pressure on Alex who was forced to run for his life immediately. It works. To counter, there is a gaping hole behind the DL and S's right down the middle of the field (easiest throw for a QB) that could be exploited in a few hundred ways but even more with our personnel (McDonald and VD). Throw in some slants, flares and curls to this area with Gore, Hunter and James (or Miller) and this area would be more exploited than a sweat shop!
Niners looked totally uninspired against the Colts. I was expecting them to come out really strong after Seahawks beat down. The play calling against the Colts was terrible. Abandoned the run when it was working, no shots downfield, no screen plays.

Not much to hang your hat on for 49ers after this debacle.

Seriously. You are going to come at me with 1 freakin play? Should I dig up Alex Smith "highlights"?

Kap didn't play well. He missed a few passes. It happens. Calling for Alex right now is NUTS. Makes me start to agree with what fans of other teams say about our fanbase.

SMH.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM ]