There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by DBSYM:
Good afternoon everybody. If anyone would like to see a replay of yesterdays depressing game I have it up on the 2013 playlist.

2013 Regular Season Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE_tPYRLiHNiW_sBvu3sutiag0godwzx

Direct link to game in HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbqpBndbQs

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Right...because in the past Roman has been completely rigid, would never alter his gameplan and that is evidensed by long losing streaks. They would just keep doing the same thing over and over again and they would just keep losing because he has no idea what he's doing. Wait...

Name one good defense he has gameplanned well against? In a game where you were like "wow, he really figured how to pick these guys apart?" Beyond the seriously overrated Chicago defense, it hasn't happened, the 49ers racked up an absurd number of yards against weak defenses but consistently had the same issues against better defenses. He has never shown that he grasps exactly how to attack a team's weaknesses, he goes with whatever his gameplan is and if his gameplan doesn't work, well, that's just too bad. Just like yesterday, he seemed determined to have them pass the ball, regardless of what Indy was doing or what was available, he doesn't seem to see the forest through the trees, he draws up a gameplan and if the defense is prepared for it, he really hasn't shown any ability to adjust to that.

You can keep making excuses for him, there were plenty of Ravens fans making excuses for Cam Cameron as well, but I sincerely feel the 49ers can do far better with their playcalling and the results of his limitations are becoming pretty evident for all to see.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM ]

5) Season Lost?: Of course not. 1-2 is a tough thing to fight back from particularly with so much drama and injuries. This is going to be a tough season. That much is clear. Nothing is going to come easy this year. Seattle has a 2 game lead on the division but lets be real...nobody had any expectations that tey wouldn't beat Carolina or Jacksonville.

I was sort of thinking that Carolina would take them out, might have had that one penciled in as a loss somewhere 10AM, road game, against an underrated defense. Then of course I had high hopes of seeing the Niners embarrass them in person, knowing perfectly well that it rarely happens. Worst game I have ever paid money to see no doubt about it. So, instead of the Hags being 1-2, WE are. Too add insult, the Hags are 3-0. Frigging 2 games back in only 3 weeks of football.

CRAP.

Season isn't over though, not by a longshot. It is a long season.
Originally posted by Jt8786:
Originally posted by DBSYM:
Good afternoon everybody. If anyone would like to see a replay of yesterdays depressing game I have it up on the 2013 playlist.

2013 Regular Season Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE_tPYRLiHNiW_sBvu3sutiag0godwzx

Direct link to game in HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbqpBndbQs

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

That is awesome that it is up there, but I cannot for the life of me think of a reason that I would want to watch it again. In expectations of a Niner Revenge Slam of the Colts, I recorded it to DVR, to PC AND to DVD.. Was going to do it all year. Wasted a good Sony DVD on that one.

Totally subscribing to that channel though... just not for THIS week
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Right...because in the past Roman has been completely rigid, would never alter his gameplan and that is evidensed by long losing streaks. They would just keep doing the same thing over and over again and they would just keep losing because he has no idea what he's doing. Wait...

Name one good defense he has gameplanned well against? In a game where you were like "wow, he really figured how to pick these guys apart?" Beyond the seriously overrated Chicago defense, it hasn't happened, the 49ers racked up an absurd number of yards against weak defenses but consistently had the same issues against better defenses. He has never shown that he grasps exactly how to attack a team's weaknesses, he goes with whatever his gameplan is and if his gameplan doesn't work, well, that's just too bad. Just like yesterday, he seemed determined to have them pass the ball, regardless of what Indy was doing or what was available, he doesn't seem to see the forest through the trees, he draws up a gameplan and if the defense is prepared for it, he really hasn't shown any ability to adjust to that.

You can keep making excuses for him, there were plenty of Ravens fans making excuses for Cam Cameron as well, but I sincerely feel the 49ers can do far better with their playcalling and the results of his limitations are becoming pretty evident for all to see.

LOL...

So....he's a bad coordinator because he hasn't racked up huge yards against good defenses?

Ya know...good defenses tend to not get exposed. You know that right? If they are good defenses they are good because NOBODY gets big yards on them. Thats why they are good.

The idea is to find a way to beat those stingy defenses.

That overrated Bears D finished 5th last year in yards allowed. Niners beat them. Green Bay finished 11th. Niners have beat them 3 times in a row.

The only other team they played last year in the top 10 was Seattle. That was a series split.

In 2011, they beat the best defense in the NFL in the Pittsburg Steelers. They also beat the 7th ranked Bengals and the 9th ranked Seahawks twice.

If your standard is "he's bad because he has never exposed a top 10 D for tons of yards" then you are setting him up to fail in this analysis. Then of course you discount the team they DID expose because it's convenient for your argument.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by reasonable1:
4) Gore/Hunter: I think it's time to start looking at a harsh reality. I love Frank and I'm not saying he's done...but I think it's time to start giving Kendall Hunter a larger workload. Hunter just has so much more youth and energy in those legs. Frank is IMO the best RB in 49ers history and Kendall isn't as good as Frank was in his prime, but he just might be at this point in Franks career. I also think this may just be Franks last season in SF. Next year its going to be a battle between Kendall, LaMichael, and Marcus Lattimore. I'd expect a running back by committee approach...and I think that's going to start THIS year. I hate even thinking this...but I think Franks days as the Bell Cow are done.

Maybe you missed Gore ripping off runs left and right with the QB under center.

Dude needs a better gameplan...not younger legs. Gore is fine. Roman is not.

I do agree we need to do more QB under center, not only for the running game, but to also help with the passing game. I really think we need some WR, TE or RB screens to help this offense out!
Gore has no burst? Go watch his runs again. Looks fresh. Nice to have Hunter back though. If Roman/Harbaugh pull their heads out this could be a beautiful run game again.
  • GORO
  • Veteran

I really have to agree that Roman has not shown to be able to compete in a chess match against some of the better Defensive teams. I also would like to add that the WR coach has not done anything to show that he is worth retaining. Ted Ginn whom was never a good all around wide out was never sent on isolation deep routes under Roman or the wr coach now he is in Carolina making these plays he has made everywhere else but in SF.

And the special team coach has yet to find a returner that will scare opposing teams. Look at the Ravens whose offense sucks they win because of a defensive td and a special team td, how do they win like this all the time and sf cannot get a turnover or return td in a game.
CIA mind tricks lulz
Your point would make more sense if the offense hadn't looked like this previously. Go back to the Minnesota game last season, the two Rams games, the game against Seattle, the start of the Superbowl. Stop blaming Mangini, this offense has looked flat more often than I can count and you can always depend on Roman to go after a defense's strengths and not their weaknesses. Look at the Rams last season, playing 10 yards off the WR...........wow, are we going to get some quick hitters, slants, screens...etc? f**k no, deep shots downfield that didn't materialize. Yesterday you're playing at home, against one of the worst run-defending teams in the NFL, what do you do? Completely get away from the run.

People need to stop making excuses for Roman. Nobody doubts that he's bright, nobody doubt that he's an encyclopedia of football knowledge, the issue is preparing properly for a defense, going after their weaknesses, making in-game adjustments, have the chess-players ability to look 5 moves ahead at what the defense is trying to do, Roman has none of that.

Im not trying to say your wrong and Im right, or trying to argue a fact that our staff has or doesnt have a problem. But everything in your final sentence to me sounds exactly like the description of a offensive consultants job other than the in game adjustments which I put on Roman because we have seen him use adjustments mid game and work well for us. "With the 49ers, Mangini will break down opposing defenses as an advance scout and will aid Harbaugh in developing game plans each week." per ESPN. Now I'm not sure if its lack of film for some of these teams due to it being early in the season, one of the staff being individually dumb or combination of them all, but for the past two weeks we've come out looking unprepared for the defense we are facing, making little to no (or even the wrong) adjustments, and with very little offensive gameplans. Almost as if our playbook has been deleted or shrunk.
My thoughts after week 3:

[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49: LOL... So....he's a bad coordinator because he hasn't racked up huge yards against good defenses? Ya know...good defenses tend to not get exposed. You know that right? If they are good defenses they are good because NOBODY gets big yards on them. Thats why they are good. The idea is to find a way to beat those stingy defenses

And Roman is still looking for it. In fact now, his playcalling is starting to make shaky defenses look elite. Indy came in ranked 27th against the run and the 49ers made them look like the old time Baltimore Ravens.

Green Bay finished 11th. Niners have beat them 3 times in a row.

Ask any Green Bay fan if you think their team has a "good" defense. One of the worst secondary's in the NFL, and a defensive coordinator in Capers who has clearly lost his touch and shows even worse strategy and gameplanning than Roman does.

The only other team they played last year in the top 10 was Seattle. That was a series split.

That's put it rather nicely don't you think, considering the 49ers offense has been curb-stomped twice in a row now by Seattle.

In 2011, they beat the best defense in the NFL in the Pittsburg Steelers.

Mind you of course that was with Rapeburger playing on one leg and turning the ball over. That was still the same Steeler defense that got lit up by Tebow a few weeks later.

They also beat the 7th ranked Bengals and the 9th ranked Seahawks twice.

One of those Seahawks games was literally due to Ted Ginn and Ted Ginn alone. Roman has yet to put together any sort of concise gameplan against Seattle that has been effective in his entire tenure with the team. In fact, he's been getting worse as the last two games have shown.

If your standard is "he's bad because he has never exposed a top 10 D for tons of yards" then you are setting him up to fail in this analysis. Then of course you discount the team they DID expose because it's convenient for your argument.

No, my standard is consistent playcalling that attacks a defense's weaknesses, I see the opposite, a guy who goes after a defense's strengths, doesn't challenge them, doesn't force them out of their comfort zone, exactly what happened with Seattle. As I've said again and again, Roman draws up a gameplan, quite often its the wrong one and when it is, oh well, he hasn't shown the ability to adjust it in any real meaningful way. When something is actually WORKING, he outsmarts himself and goes away from it like we saw against Indy yesterday. He looks like a college game running coordinator, a guy with a ton of great ideas but limited in strategy and decision-making. In terms of chess match between a defensive and offensive coordinator, I don't trust him to win out against any opposing coordinators other than Dom Capers, exactly why this offense often looks like the other team knows the playbook and exactly what will be called at any given moment.
Originally posted by Marvin49: LOL... So....he's a bad coordinator because he hasn't racked up huge yards against good defenses? Ya know...good defenses tend to not get exposed. You know that right? If they are good defenses they are good because NOBODY gets big yards on them. Thats why they are good. The idea is to find a way to beat those stingy defenses

And Roman is still looking for it. In fact now, his playcalling is starting to make shaky defenses look elite. Indy came in ranked 27th against the run and the 49ers made them look like the old time Baltimore Ravens.

Green Bay finished 11th. Niners have beat them 3 times in a row.

Ask any Green Bay fan if you think their team has a "good" defense. One of the worst secondary's in the NFL, and a defensive coordinator in Capers who has clearly lost his touch and shows even worse strategy and gameplanning than Roman does.

That's put it rather nicely don't you think, considering the 49ers offense has been curb-stomped twice in a row now by Seattle.

In 2011, they beat the best defense in the NFL in the Pittsburg Steelers.

Mind you of course that was with Rapeburger playing on one leg and turning the ball over. That was still the same Steeler defense that got lit up by Tebow a few weeks later.

They also beat the 7th ranked Bengals and the 9th ranked Seahawks twice.

One of those Seahawks games was literally due to Ted Ginn and Ted Ginn alone. Roman has yet to put together any sort of concise gameplan against Seattle that has been effective in his entire tenure with the team. In fact, he's been getting worse as the last two games have shown.

No, my standard is consistent playcalling that attacks a defense's weaknesses, I see the opposite, a guy who goes after a defense's strengths, doesn't challenge them, doesn't force them out of their comfort zone, exactly what happened with Seattle. As I've said again and again, Roman draws up a gameplan, quite often its the wrong one and when it is, oh well, he hasn't shown the ability to adjust it in any real meaningful way. When something is actually WORKING, he outsmarts himself and goes away from it like we saw against Indy yesterday. He looks like a college game running coordinator, a guy with a ton of great ideas but limited in strategy and decision-making. In terms of chess match between a defensive and offensive coordinator, I don't trust him to win out against any opposing coordinators other than Dom Capers, exactly why this offense often looks like the other team knows the playbook and exactly what will be called at any given moment.

Sigh.

You asked a question. I answered it. Now you explain away every response that doesn't fit your premise.

Conversation is pointless.
I don't think many people would argue the Colts were a top Defense, however I don't care about yards it's the points that worryt me. We haven't looked like we've even troubled Seattle or Indy and that's the concern.