LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
The Colts repeatedly showed blitz only to peel off into coverage. It think the stacked box causes Kap to go to the pass play. This makes defending the run super easy - just show run blitz and Kap will audible to the pass. Then drop 7 into coverage against the sub par WRs and we now have a QB with happy feet and no open targets.

Kap is still a young buck when it comes to quarterbacking. Putting the gameplan in his hands is premature regardless of what he showed us last season.

Where CK still lags behind the former QB is the mental game. Smith's analytic nature enabled him to know exactly what to do pre and post-snap depending on the what the defense was doing. I think CK is only making partial reads.

Seasoned vets would look at the defense showing blitz and do one of the following:

1) If in the gun, check into a run/pass option play. If the defense peels back, give Gore the ball. If they rush, pull the ball out and fire to the hot read.

2) Check into pass with deep routes and out routes to open the middle of the field, with the idea in mind of running if the blitzers fall back and turn their backs to run with the receivers.

3) Check into a specific run play that counters a blitz, directing the blitz pickups and blocking assignments accordingly (I'm not sure he's anywhere near to mastering this yet).
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Never thought we be 1-2 after three games. Roman is going to have to come up with a better game plan or he will never get a head coaching job. My wife said that Kaep and Jim need to stop making commercials and concentrate on football.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
The Colts repeatedly showed blitz only to peel off into coverage. It think the stacked box causes Kap to go to the pass play. This makes defending the run super easy - just show run blitz and Kap will audible to the pass. Then drop 7 into coverage against the sub par WRs and we now have a QB with happy feet and no open targets.

Kap is still a young buck when it comes to quarterbacking. Putting the gameplan in his hands is premature regardless of what he showed us last season.

Where CK still lags behind the former QB is the mental game. Smith's analytic nature enabled him to know exactly what to do pre and post-snap depending on the what the defense was doing. I think CK is only making partial reads.

Seasoned vets would look at the defense showing blitz and do one of the following:

1) If in the gun, check into a run/pass option play. If the defense peels back, give Gore the ball. If they rush, pull the ball out and fire to the hot read.

2) Check into pass with deep routes and out routes to open the middle of the field, with the idea in mind of running if the blitzers fall back and turn their backs to run with the receivers.

3) Check into a specific run play that counters a blitz, directing the blitz pickups and blocking assignments accordingly (I'm not sure he's anywhere near to mastering this yet).

Whats up OTC, definitely feel where your coming from. I also wonder this too. One thing i do remember mentioned... after I think the GB game, maybe
Seattle, where coach or someone said they are gonna shorten the playbook. I wish I could remember when it was.

Also, I wonder like the last Qb, is Kaep also given a few plays and allowed to audible into those plays. A few times over the past couple of weeks, it seemed like he'd read the defense, change it to a running play, then Gore gets stuffed. I've seen him what looks like an audible quite a few times in the games. I wonder if its just useless jargon like Peyton does every once in a while, or is he actually checking out of the plays 100%.
Originally posted by GORO:
Never thought we be 1-2 after three games. Roman is going to have to come up with a better game plan or he will never get a head coaching job. My wife said that Kaep and Jim need to stop making commercials and concentrate on football.

Really? I was nervous that this would be EXACTLY where we were...tho I thought those losses might be to GB and Seattle.
Originally posted by GORO:

You know, my co-workers are Giants, Colts, and Bronco's fans, and trust me I heard this all day today. Some were even talking about the Flacco commercial. So my reply was, "At least our starting QB is in commercials", to which they respond, he hasn't won anything yet to be in them. Oh well, they'll all be eating crow when we hopefully get back to the Sb this year.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Really? I was nervous that this would be EXACTLY where we were...tho I thought those losses might be to GB and Seattle.

The first two years under Harbaugh the team has done very well and won more games during these tough portions of their schedule. Under Harbaugh team never lost two in row till yesterday, so I thought we would be 2-1 at this point. Colts had six starters out and could not stop the run, yet they won because of good coaching and making more plays.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
You know, my co-workers are Giants, Colts, and Bronco's fans, and trust me I heard this all day today. Some were even talking about the Flacco commercial. So my reply was, "At least our starting QB is in commercials", to which they respond, he hasn't won anything yet to be in them. Oh well, they'll all be eating crow when we hopefully get back to the Sb this year.

If they do not beat the rams and Texans we may not even make the play offs but were about to find out what this team is made of. Hope you are right and we get the last laugh.
My theory.

Due to Dahl informing us about our "tells" and bringing in Mangini, I think we made our offense more complicated in terms of OL assignments. Last 2 years, we were basic but could have been predictable. This year, our OL looks off and it could be because we made things more complicated.

Also, last year, prior to the THUR game, Gore barely played.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM ]
Whether people may want to believe it or not Roman is actually a great coordinater, even get Gores stamp of approval, I really think the issue may possibly be adding a staff positiin we didnt need in the first place, Manigini was hired as the offensive consultant to help he offense and roman read and diagnose the defense, but our offense seems like it has got no real consultation because every defensive play made against them has seemed like a surprise to the offense. I really think Mangini is dead weight and not pulling his own on the staff. He is the only real addition to the staff in the offseason, those calling for romans job need to think about this, romans play calling got us to the playoffs and great winning records over the past two seasons. We have now beat the read option to death, overused the pistol formation and were our game plan for the offense is consistantly go nowhere fast. Over the last two years we have used many new formations and didnt overuse them now all of a suddon were going to beat one single formation and a trick play to death, this is not typical or roman, harbaugh or our offense. The coaches do have a freddie p aoft in there ear and his name is eric mangini. We didnt need an offensive consultant and imo we are better off without him.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
OK...

...so I've had some time to think about it now.

...and I'm leaning more toward there being a serious issue with playcalling. Earthshattering, right? There is a personnel issue as well as I have been saying all along, but two things can be equally true.

What the 49ers are doing right now would work if they still had Crab, Vernon, and Delanie. They don't. Insistance on still trying to be that intermediate to deep pass team with heavy play action doesn't work when those guys out there simply aren't getting open. Again...I'm not breaking new ground here. I guess you could say I'm slowly being converted.

I really like Vance McDonald but he simply is a different type of player than Delanie. McDonald may end up being a better player...who knows...but he will ALWAYS be a DIFFERENT player. Delanie was a THREAT to get down the field even if he couldn't catch the ball. Vernon is always a threat down the field and I think we are really seeing how good Crab is and how much we need to keep him once he's back. It wasn't just the scheme that allowed him to get open last year. He really was that good.

The offense played perfectly into Kaps strengths as a passer last year. The offense as it sits right now does not. Can that change? Yes. Kap will get better. The players out there in pass patterns will improve and they will get some guys back. The question is whether it will be too late by then.

The niners do need to run the ball more. This game could have been won had they done so, but that isn't the only answer here. As we saw vs GB and vs Seattle, the run game can be shut down if a team devotes itself to doing so. The answer to fixing all this is to adjust the thinking in the pass game and stop trying to be the dynamic downfield team we saw in the playoffs last year...at least until we get some horses back.

Of course....run the ball. No question. It all starts with that...but we can't just say "run the ball more" and expect that to resolve all of the teams problems.

I think I posted in the week 2 thread on what you're saying and I think we're ( ) right - I think we are not game planning for the personnel we have, whatever gameplan Roman goes for he has to make it something our personnel can execute and what we lack is pace or strength to beat the jam on man coverage.

I think Vance McDonald will be better but we should use him like NO use Jimmy Graham and NE uses Gronk, but as you say Roman is scheming him like he is DW.

I also think our o-line has not been good and I am tempted to point the finger at Goodwin - he's not getting out on run blocking and seems to be letting a fair bit of pressure through the middle. I am not sure how he beat out Kilgore in camp because he was injured for most of it, but our personnel decisions seem really weird - I don't think Moore had to fight for his position either.

Alex Smith is laughing his ass off in KC
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:

Mark my words....KC will come crashing back to earth.

This is no indictment on Alex....just sayin I expect them to finish around 8-8 or 9-7.

This is no indictment on Alex....just sayin I expect them to finish around 8-8 or 9-7.

That's very possible, but that Chief team reminds me a lot of the 2011 Niners. Top notch D, great RB with receiving skills, questionable WR quality, team built on defense, clock control, field position, and not turning it over. Their QB makes the smart, safe play every time unless the situation is desperate, and it works for them.

Compared to the 2013 niners, I like their D line and secondary better, I like their receiver group better, I like their RB better, and so far in 2013 I like their QB better. The 49ers should have the better LB core and the better O-line, and better upside at QB.

If you had to bet right now, Niners vs chiefs total wins, who would you really want to put money on?
  • dj43

If they can stay healthy, I see them winning at least 10, perhaps as many as 12. That defense is lethal and the offense is learning.

WINS
Giants
Titans
Raiders x2
Browns
Bills
Redskins
Chargers

LOSES
Texans
Colts
Broncos x2
Chargers

They could beat the Chargers twice but perhaps lose to the Redskins in their place. All that puts them at 11 or 12 wins. It would be one of the biggest turn arounds in history but that is a talented team that just needed a good QB and coach.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:

That's very possible, but that Chief team reminds me a lot of the 2011 Niners. Top notch D, great RB with receiving skills, questionable WR quality, team built on defense, clock control, field position, and not turning it over. Their QB makes the smart, safe play every time unless the situation is desperate, and it works for them.

Compared to the 2013 niners, I like their D line and secondary better, I like their receiver group better, I like their RB better, and so far in 2013 I like their QB better. The 49ers should have the better LB core and the better O-line, and better upside at QB.

If you had to bet right now, Niners vs chiefs total wins, who would you really want to put money on?

SF.

Not even close.

Look...this opening 5 game stretch was always going to be a challenge. There are ALOT of games left and many, many opportunities to improve. We will also be getting a number of guys back.

KC had had a good start to the season. Good for them. I am not about to put the 2011 49ers label on them tho. They were never as bad as their record last year.
Share 49ersWebzone