LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
When deep routes aren't getting open, you have to start trying the following:

1. UTILIZE your outlets in the flats and in the middle of the field.

2. Make use of your fast WRs on WR screens and crossing routes and/or "PICK" plays that are designed to create some room.

3. Commit to the run game. If necessary, spread the field and force the opposing team to cover a 4-wide set and run out of that. If the defense runs a zone read or zone blitz, give CK a run-pass option and allow him to tuck and run if the defense bails in coverage instead of blitzing. If they DO blitz, have him hit the hot read IMMEDIATELY for a big gain.

It's NOT rocket science. The reason the lack of success is SO INFURIATING is because the solution seems SO OBVIOUS right now but we continue to smash our skulls into a brick wall doing the idiotic thing by continuing to do the opposite of what is working.

This! WR's can't get open when they run one or two straight-line routes all game and many of them are deep or all to one side of the field.

There are so many things that I just can't sit here and really believe an NFL coaching staff doesn't possibly recognize. I mean, they HAVE to know this right? If they don't, that's a serious problem. If they do, and they're not fixing it... Well, that is STILL a SERIOUS problem. I mean, WTFrrrrick?

There are so many options. Running out of 4 WR sets is a great idea when you've got a QB struggling with the zone blitzes. You have pump n' go/slant and go options if they drop into zone coverage too. Linebacker drops back, CK pump fakes, linebacker bites, WR runs free downfield.

Get this fixed. NOW.

OTC, come on, we can't possibly know more than the coaches...they know 5000 times what we know. We're just supposed to TRUST them. LOL. This is why one should analyze their own games and come up with their OWN conclusions. I've been noting these issues for years here esp. regarded Roman and his anti-WCO, er "college offense."

On a more serious note, I hope the coaches have their own coaches-only meeting. I hope Harbaugh has the balls to cut his losses if we lose to the Rams and it's another direct result of play calling (incorrect personel usage), poor game plan coming in and poor in-game adjustments.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
When deep routes aren't getting open, you have to start trying the following:

1. UTILIZE your outlets in the flats and in the middle of the field.

2. Make use of your fast WRs on WR screens and crossing routes and/or "PICK" plays that are designed to create some room.

3. Commit to the run game. If necessary, spread the field and force the opposing team to cover a 4-wide set and run out of that. If the defense runs a zone read or zone blitz, give CK a run-pass option and allow him to tuck and run if the defense bails in coverage instead of blitzing. If they DO blitz, have him hit the hot read IMMEDIATELY for a big gain.

It's NOT rocket science. The reason the lack of success is SO INFURIATING is because the solution seems SO OBVIOUS right now but we continue to smash our skulls into a brick wall doing the idiotic thing by continuing to do the opposite of what is working.
Well said. Thank you.
Totally agree OTC!
  • thl408
The Colts repeatedly showed blitz only to peel off into coverage. It think the stacked box causes Kap to go to the pass play. This makes defending the run super easy - just show run blitz and Kap will audible to the pass. Then drop 7 into coverage against the sub par WRs and we now have a QB with happy feet and no open targets.

Kap is still a young buck when it comes to quarterbacking. Putting the gameplan in his hands is premature regardless of what he showed us last season.
tell you this much from watching the from being at the game..... when the hell did niner fans turn into raider fans! I can't wait until SC!. Seriously I can never bring my son & daughter to a niner game at the stick this year. such a joke
I really don't know what's going on but holy friggin' crap does it seem like the refs are actually trying to call everything on us that is even close to being a penalty even if it's not.

Maybe because Harbaugh b***hes at them all game long. No I think a lot of it depends on the crew and their judgement. Just sucks that one ref would call it and the next wouldn't. Would be nice if it was consistent for each crew. At the very least should be consistent in 1 game which some times it isn't. I thought most of them called on Brown and company were fouls but then in other games for us or other teams have seen stuff like that not called. I think it's kind of like a strike zone in baseball. Every umps is a little different you just have to hope they call it fair for both team. If you are going to give a little off the edge then do it for both teams not just one. Meaning if you are going to call it tight on one team for holding/pi you better do it for the other and in some games doesn't seem to work that way. Not saying that's the reason we lost because we have so many things to work on. I will say that first 15 yard penalty was a bad call and hurt us but think the ref didn't see it clearly. To me if you can't clearly see it keep the flag in your pocket.
OTC, I agree and it was funny (well sad) how against Seattle when they were stuffing the run and we passed we said hey let's put 1 or 2 WRs out there and see if we can get a completion. Well obviously they got jammed all night long. Should have had 2 TEs and 3-4 WRs out there to help our chances and then as that started to help us get completions could have ran out of that due to the defense backing off a bit. I think some of those plays we were running jumbo with 1 wr at our own 20 or 30 in non short yardage situations. Who the f is calling the plays, Singletary?

Also, seen more of it in the Colts game but get Kap back under center with play action or out in shotgun. Spread the field if the run isn't working and get that going then run out of that as the defense will be backed up. By the way has anyone seen any 3 or 5 step drops by Kap from under center lately? No quick throws, no slants... seems like all 7 step drops.

NCommand, the coaches know more than any of us by far but I think they get too cute or just outsmart themselves some times. In some cases it's an ego that clouds judgement. I think Roman is a heck of an offensive mind but isn't the best play caller... meaning he struggles to pick the right plays at times. Which is why some times he looks like a genius and other games he looks like Singletary if he was an OC.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
OTC, I agree and it was funny (well sad) how against Seattle when they were stuffing the run and we passed we said hey let's put 1 or 2 WRs out there and see if we can get a completion. Well obviously they got jammed all night long. Should have had 2 TEs and 3-4 WRs out there to help our chances and then as that started to help us get completions could have ran out of that due to the defense backing off a bit. I think some of those plays we were running jumbo with 1 wr at our own 20 or 30 in non short yardage situations. Who the f is calling the plays, Singletary?

Also, seen more of it in the Colts game but get Kap back under center with play action or out in shotgun. Spread the field if the run isn't working and get that going then run out of that as the defense will be backed up. By the way has anyone seen any 3 or 5 step drops by Kap from under center lately? No quick throws, no slants... seems like all 7 step drops

everything seems to be deep..i cant believe there hasn't been any adjusments
My main thought;

WE AREN'T THE SAME TEAM....

Going all the way back to when the switch was made at QB last season. We all noticed our squad changing. Maybe some of us just didn't pay attention. excluding the playoffs, because that's just another beast of its own.

But in regards to our club, with Kaep, we were already leaning towards more passing. Being that he could make all of the throws more accurately than the last QB.

He also, could make something out of nothing with his skillset. when nothing is there, create yardage with his feet. had the great scrambling ability that when the plays break down, he can zip it in there to the open man without hesitation, and with accuracy, and no 1. fit the ball into tight spaces even if the man is covered cuz he has that type of accuracy.

This loss isn't all on Kaep, just as i used to say years ago, its a team game. And the Qb can either help or hurt. And for the past two weeks, he hurt more than he helped. It's still way too early to give up or throw in the towel type of talk.

I just haven't seen that Kaep spark, that mindframe after his first few games of last year, of, "they cant stop me", and "i told them i was a force to be reckoned with". I see more deer in the headlight looks lately, and honestly fellas, maybe its like we said, he has only started what 10 games. I mean maybe this is his "sophomore slump".... I just know if we lose this game on Thursday, then I may panic just a bit. Not yet tho, but just a bit.

Ahh what the hell...Go Niners, and lets kill them Rams....
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Did you watch the game. 11 for 82 something like 8 for 70 yards in the first half. Frank is just fine he just needs the ball.

Yes... you are bang on here. I would love to see the stat line, but Gore rushing when CK is up under center. Gore must have about 5 yds/carry out of those formations. He was torching the Colts yesterday until they flat out abandoned the run.

They gotta start hitting the quick slants and things. The 9ers receivers are being as badly held as the 9ers DBs are getting flagged, but the ball isn't in the air and the receivers aren't getting the benefit of the doubt. It's becoming clear that Kaep likes his receivers open and does not fire the ball to locations based on timing. The WRs aren't helping things by gaining much separation, but ALL receivers are open when they hit their breaks, but the ball doesn't come out until he sees the opening rather than anticipating the route.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
My main thought;

WE AREN'T THE SAME TEAM....

Going all the way back to when the switch was made at QB last season. We all noticed our squad changing. Maybe some of us just didn't pay attention. excluding the playoffs, because that's just another beast of its own.

But in regards to our club, with Kaep, we were already leaning towards more passing. Being that he could make all of the throws more accurately than the last QB.

He also, could make something out of nothing with his skillset. when nothing is there, create yardage with his feet. had the great scrambling ability that when the plays break down, he can zip it in there to the open man without hesitation, and with accuracy, and no 1. fit the ball into tight spaces even if the man is covered cuz he has that type of accuracy.

This loss isn't all on Kaep, just as i used to say years ago, its a team game. And the Qb can either help or hurt. And for the past two weeks, he hurt more than he helped. It's still way too early to give up or throw in the towel type of talk.

I just haven't seen that Kaep spark, that mindframe after his first few games of last year, of, "they cant stop me", and "i told them i was a force to be reckoned with". I see more deer in the headlight looks lately, and honestly fellas, maybe its like we said, he has only started what 10 games. I mean maybe this is his "sophomore slump".... I just know if we lose this game on Thursday, then I may panic just a bit. Not yet tho, but just a bit.

Ahh what the hell...Go Niners, and lets kill them Rams....

"We aren't the same team" is correct. They are missing Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Vernon Davis, and Delanie Walker. Damn straight they aren't the same team.

I like Anquan Boldin as much as the next guy, but he can't be the ONLY guy.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM ]
I really don't know what's going on but holy friggin' crap does it seem like the refs are actually trying to call everything on us that is even close to being a penalty even if it's not.

Maybe because Harbaugh b***hes at them all game long. No I think a lot of it depends on the crew and their judgement. Just sucks that one ref would call it and the next wouldn't. Would be nice if it was consistent for each crew. At the very least should be consistent in 1 game which some times it isn't. I thought most of them called on Brown and company were fouls but then in other games for us or other teams have seen stuff like that not called. I think it's kind of like a strike zone in baseball. Every umps is a little different you just have to hope they call it fair for both team. If you are going to give a little off the edge then do it for both teams not just one. Meaning if you are going to call it tight on one team for holding/pi you better do it for the other and in some games doesn't seem to work that way. Not saying that's the reason we lost because we have so many things to work on. I will say that first 15 yard penalty was a bad call and hurt us but think the ref didn't see it clearly. To me if you can't clearly see it keep the flag in your pocket.

I think it's because Harbaugh does himself NO favors and constantly is griping to referees and berating them. Wouldn't you want to be chums with the guys that can help sway a game?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
everything seems to be deep..i cant believe there hasn't been any adjusments

OTC, I agree and it was funny (well sad) how against Seattle when they were stuffing the run and we passed we said hey let's put 1 or 2 WRs out there and see if we can get a completion. Well obviously they got jammed all night long. Should have had 2 TEs and 3-4 WRs out there to help our chances and then as that started to help us get completions could have ran out of that due to the defense backing off a bit. I think some of those plays we were running jumbo with 1 wr at our own 20 or 30 in non short yardage situations. Who the f is calling the plays, Singletary

I really don't get it either.

Maybe because Harbaugh b***hes at them all game long.

Sometimes I do start to wonder about that.
Originally posted by Micky6:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Did you watch the game. 11 for 82 something like 8 for 70 yards in the first half. Frank is just fine he just needs the ball.

Yes... you are bang on here. I would love to see the stat line, but Gore rushing when CK is up under center. Gore must have about 5 yds/carry out of those formations. He was torching the Colts yesterday until they flat out abandoned the run.

They gotta start hitting the quick slants and things. The 9ers receivers are being as badly held as the 9ers DBs are getting flagged, but the ball isn't in the air and the receivers aren't getting the benefit of the doubt. It's becoming clear that Kaep likes his receivers open and does not fire the ball to locations based on timing. The WRs aren't helping things by gaining much separation, but ALL receivers are open when they hit their breaks, but the ball doesn't come out until he sees the opening rather than anticipating the route.

Spot on...although I'm geniuinely struggling trying to even remember a single slant pattern...a staple of the WCO. CK has such a strong arm, he's never had to throw in anticipation of a breaking WR or throwing him open. He just waits until his man is open and then fires it in there. This is why we rarely see RAC also. Now defenders are waiting for the simple curl route or press and stop and knock the pass away, INT it or the DL are timing their jumps to knock it down better.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]
We as fans are agonizing over this stuff after each loss but where the hell are the coaches and players? We aren't hearing of any meetings or crisis sessions, analysis or plans, nothing that shows us that they take it seriously and are working to address it. Extra frustrating that we have a short week to address it when any glaring issues and long range planning should have been done during the off season. I keep hearing that our coaches are too good, players too talented to continue to fail but not buying it this week. Bad game plans, bad penalties, bad execution, these are things we spend millions of dollars on coaches to prevent and address.
Share 49ersWebzone