LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

We need a true nose tackle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dial and Williams should be good for NT Dial was a MONSTER today
Did dial get snaps at NT? I thought he was playing end
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Did dial get snaps at NT? I thought he was playing end

I saw him mostly playing end. Maybe he played a few snaps on the nose, but I'm not sure.

What I did see was him taking on double teams, shedding blocks, and making plays. There's a large void at NT, and I'm hoping Dial gets a shot there.
double post
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM ]
Daniel McCullers has been solid for the Steelers in training camp but space on their roster is pretty limited and he really has to beat out a couple guys to make it. If he doesn't make the roster, he might be worth a look coming off the waiver wire.
Word.
If ICE is still a FA, I would give him a shot. He knows the system. He is low risk.
I wouldn't give up on Purcell...he's got the right kind of thick body you want at NT. If healthy, Williams will be the guy, but he's iffy at this point. Will he be ready for the regular season...let's hope so, but no guarantees. Also need to remember there will be some good vets cut...it happens every preseason. Baalke will jump on one if he feels he can help the team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Daniel McCullers has been solid for the Steelers in training camp but space on their roster is pretty limited and he really has to beat out a couple guys to make it. If he doesn't make the roster, he might be worth a look coming off the waiver wire.

This would be ideal but hes probably guaranteed a roster spot I would think with him being a rookie

If they are worried about Dial's height/leverage at NT then it would be the same for McCullers. He doesn't excel in leverage and he's almost 6'7".

Originally posted by Ray_Dogg:

If they are worried about Dial's height/leverage at NT then it would be the same for McCullers. He doesn't excel in leverage and he's almost 6'7".

But McCullers is more in the mold of a Casey Hampton where hes just thicker as well as tall. Dial is a lean 318 whos also learning the 5 tech which i think hed be best suited for.
We need to give Casey Hampton a call
I'm a big fan of Quinton Dial, but I have a feeling we should have Ian Williams back some point soon.

I'd be down for that as McCullers should be stout and not really able to be pushed around, but I think we tend to lean towards guys that are quite a bit more athletic than McCullers at nose.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wouldn't give up on Purcell...he's got the right kind of thick body you want at NT. If healthy, Williams will be the guy, but he's iffy at this point. Will he be ready for the regular season...let's hope so, but no guarantees. Also need to remember there will be some good vets cut...it happens every preseason. Baalke will jump on one if he feels he can help the team.

The scouting reports I've read say he isn't very powerful or particularly explosive. He got overpowered in the Ravens game. I think he might spend one more year on the PS and if he doesn't get more stout and powerful at the point of attack - I'm pretty sure he'll be gone by next year.
Share 49ersWebzone