There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need a true nose tackle

Originally posted by xcfan:
michael carter's daughter is available. she's built just like him.

Would bang.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
You guys who think we're ok with where we are on the dline with the players we have (including EVEN I.Williams, Dorsey, TJE, Dobbs AND Dial) need to realize by week 15, J. SMITH AND McDonald are going to be ran into the f**king ground

I guess the only option at this point is for one of us to start devouring steaks and ribs, put velcro on our feet, get our @$$ out there and see how immovable we can be. Time for the fanbase to take control of this situation

On a serious note, what you say is absolutely true.
At this point, I'm fine with Purcell and Jerod-Eddie. 49ers don't have a choice anyways. Essentially, its all about getting through these next two games, after that, reinforcements will arrive, Dial and Carradine will add fresh legs to the DL, Dorsey should be back, the situation will look a heck of a lot better at that point.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Truth be told, NT is a need for this team. It's just not the biggest problem nor the one I am most concerned about at the moment. I agree with you that if the offense could do a halfway decent job, this conversation about the nose tackle wouldn't even be taking place. We have what we've always had, a serviceable player in the middle, which was good enough for us to be a top 5 defense last year. The only difference is we have an offense that can't even get us 17 to 20 points a game which is good enough for a win with a defense as good as ours has been the last 2 seasons.

I agree, it's not the biggest need, although that comes down to semantics and personal preference. That said, we had good offensive production against the Cards and with TJE in at NT (laughable), we were run on for 109 yards (5.2 a carry). So yes, we DO need help at the NT position. The Cards had what, 16 total yards rushing against the Hawks? While we can get by using a bunch of DE's in the NT role, when we do play a power running team or a team centered on running, we could see some more collapses in the 4Q. More importantly, right now, Smith is hurt (shoulder), Dorsey (don't exoect him back for weeks - hamstrings are tricky), Williams (lost for the season) and McDonald (torn tricept) is also hurt. Nobody here wants to see TJE starting at NT or even PS player Purcell. I'd take a non-conditioned Dial over either (somewat kidding). If I'm the Titans, I play down hill all game long with a running-back-committee. Let's pray Dial and Carradine can somehow, someway, get up to speed VERY quickly!

I agree with all of the above. My post was back in September though before Dorsey was hurt. Not sure if Ian Williams was still playing then. But yes, we are very vulnerable in the middle. I think any team that is trying to beat the 49ers should run right at them. I will say there is one lesson that could be learned from this. I do like Baalke getting highly rated talent in lower rounds because of injurry, but I think this will be the last time we double dip in the same area (drafting two guys that both play defensive line) with plans to sit them. It's one thing to sit/redshirt one running back, or a receiver, linebacker, etc. Its an entirely different thing to do that to two guys that play the same position group.

I still would like a great run stuffing nose tackle in the mold of Gilbert Brown. Someone to put out there when we face teams with backs like Marshawn Lynch.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
If Dial can play like Gilbert Brown we got steal in the 5th.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by xcfan:
michael carter's daughter is available. she's built just like him.

Would bang.

She's actually not too bad looking, but at 5'9" 256 pounds she'd crack your head like a walnut in those vice grip thighs of hers

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
She's actually not too bad looking, but at 5'9" 256 pounds she'd crack your head like a walnut in those vice grip thighs of hers

What a way to go.
Pick that 6'8" 360 lb. guy from TN Volunteers.....
Fangio doesnt play his NT head to head with the center. The NT is playing the outside shoulder of the center. Its called the 1 tec or shade. He wants the NT to explode into the A gap and influence the RB from the get go. This job is more suited.for a DT like Williams, Dorsey, and Dial. Strong and explosive guys capable of holding a double team and rushing the passer when singled. We dont have a big ugly logger because fangios personnel/scheme doesnt calll for one. Maybe he doesnt use one because he doesnt have one. Maybe he doesnt have one because doesnt need one. Personally i think a guy like dorsey does very well. Hes really good at bursting off the snap and beating his guy. This force the rb outside where he meets more trouble. I think will be just fine with what we got. We have dorsey and williams next year and Dial for 4.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Bryant Young is available

Not a true two-gap NT but he would be "the man" again next to Justin Smith in a 4-man DL formation! Even today. LOL

Could you imagine those two foos working side by side during their prime?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Just think we passed up on Vince Wolfork for Rashaun Woods. Ugh....
Originally posted by mayo49:

I drafted Red Bryant for us in my 9er only mocks. Then again, I also was going to pick Alan Branch in the top 20 but that was then, this is now, and my draft skills are progressing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by mayo49:

I drafted Red Bryant for us in my 9er only mocks. Then again, I also was going to pick Alan Branch in the top 20 but that was then, this is now, and my draft skills are progressing.

Lol, didn't Branch end up going undrafted? I was pretty high on him, too.
Perhaps it's providential the 9ers do not use a true NT, as an injury would leave them out of luck with their subs. Purcell is considered undersized, Dial was a role player at Alabama, used all over the line, Carradine seems suited for DE in the 3/4, not NT. So Fangiio may be a genius in creating a line that is undersized by NFL standards for a 3/4. Purcell worked mostly at NT during TC, so at least he knows the position.

Will Fangio dial up more Bowman (or Willis) blitzing to keep the offense honest? That might be an unintended benefit...love Bowman's tenacity!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM ]
i like what we have right now. dorsey has shown that he can be a play maker from the position. im sure with more reps and practice, he will get better with his technique. and we'll have decent depth there. it could be a issue though, but right now the NT position hasn't really been a problem.