LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

We need a true nose tackle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The deal was that the 49ers were daring Dallas to run, they sold out to stop the pass and did so quite intelligently. Yes, they got yards on the ground, but what was the end result? I do think the run defense needs work certainly, the whole defense needs work but they did what they set out to do in terms of controlling the Cowboy's passing offense.

Under no stretch of the imagination can you say we "controlled" the dallas passing game. No pressure, very few pd. letting them drive 79 yards to be bailed out by a willis miracle cannot be consided in any way shape or form execution of a successful strategy. I was stunned. We looked helpless.
We're going to get f**king torched by the Saints and Broncons... Their QB's arent BONE heads like ROMO
run D looked not as strong as the previous few seasons even with running out of a nickle. Not having Aldon,Navorro, and Dorsey hurt, but at least we know they will be back this year barring any setbacks. A few of the Cowboys possessions in the second half were aided by really piss poor officiating.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
First of all, Dallas has a GREAT O-line. Second, their running back is very good too. Third, Williams isn't on the field every play. Fourth, Williams isn't the only one responsible for keeping guys off the linebackers. Fifth, neither Dorsey nor Williams are classic, two-gap NT's.

That's right about first. And second. Anybody can see that in Dallas' last three drafts, that they would improve on the oline. BUT, aren't we supposed to have some sort of decent defensive line to combat those talented young olinemen? I seem to remember a 49ers dominant Dline in the not-too-distant past, so you even argueing for Dallas' "great oline" tells me you concede that theyre better than our dline. The ONLY reason theyre better than us is we don't have the correct personnel out there..., and you refer to that exactly in your 'fifth' point. That's exactly what wrong and why we cant stack up against Dallas. It seems like people don't remember when we would hold teams--any team to 2.3 yards rushing and opponents would become one-dimensional against us before the game would even start.

And three: Of course Williams or any other 3-4 NT wouldn't be on the field every play, but a true NT would make the down and distance much more manageable for us to get off the field earlier, kind of like 2nd and 8, instead of 2nd and 3. You cant argue any of that.

When you lose Aldon and NaVorro, you have to step it up in other spots to slow the run, but unfortunately, Dorsey has been lost too. And that hurts, but I can guarantee that when Dorsey comes back, hes taking that #1 spot back in the middle because he does a much better job in anchoring than anyone else in there.

Until we upgrade this position, you will see this continue to be a problem, maybe the number one problem in hindering us from success. Watch
By the way, tip of the hat to aaron lynch who had a nice pressure on romo to help him self destruct. thought brooks did not look ready to play tonight.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Under no stretch of the imagination can you say we "controlled" the dallas passing game. No pressure, very few pd. letting them drive 79 yards to be bailed out by a willis miracle cannot be consided in any way shape or form execution of a successful strategy. I was stunned. We looked helpless.

Sure they did. Dallas had some nice drives but in the second half the defense, even with the backup corner's in, settled down and mostly stuffed them. The defense did decently, they have room to improve but they did keep the ball out of the hands of playmakers such as Witten and Bryant for the most part. Its something to improve upon for sure.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
That's right about first. And second. Anybody can see that in Dallas' last three drafts, that they would improve on the oline. BUT, aren't we supposed to have some sort of decent defensive line to combat those talented young olinemen? I seem to remember a 49ers dominant Dline in the not-too-distant past, so you even argueing for Dallas' "great oline" tells me you concede that theyre better than our dline. The ONLY reason theyre better than us is we don't have the correct personnel out there..., and you refer to that exactly in your 'fifth' point. That's exactly what wrong and why we cant stack up against Dallas. It seems like people don't remember when we would hold teams--any team to 2.3 yards rushing and opponents would become one-dimensional against us before the game would even start.

And three: Of course Williams or any other 3-4 NT wouldn't be on the field every play, but a true NT would make the down and distance much more manageable for us to get off the field earlier, kind of like 2nd and 8, instead of 2nd and 3. You cant argue any of that.

When you lose Aldon and NaVorro, you have to step it up in other spots to slow the run, but unfortunately, Dorsey has been lost too. And that hurts, but I can guarantee that when Dorsey comes back, hes taking that #1 spot back in the middle because he does a much better job in anchoring than anyone else in there.

Until we upgrade this position, you will see this continue to be a problem, maybe the number one problem in hindering us from success. Watch

The reality is that the 49ers did upgrade the position. Dorsey played like one of the best NT's in the NFL last season. He did a great job, nobody could have predicted that he'd get injured and I feel that Williams is still rounding back into shape/.
Sure they did. Dallas had some nice drives but in the second half the defense, even with the backup corner's in, settled down and mostly stuffed them. The defense did decently, they have room to improve but they did keep the ball out of the hands of playmakers such as Witten and Bryant for the most part. Its something to improve upon for sure.

The first half. The first half was disastrous everywhere but on the scoreboard. I think our secondary played well actually. But the front seven s*cked. we got pushed all over the field -- except for cowboy. I don't know what to say.
The deal was that the 49ers were daring Dallas to run, they sold out to stop the pass and did so quite intelligently. Yes, they got yards on the ground, but what was the end result? I do think the run defense needs work certainly, the whole defense needs work but they did what they set out to do in terms of controlling the Cowboy's passing offense.

But Phoenix, don't you believe that hypothetically, say Dallas didn't self-destruct in the beginning of the game with the four turnovers, and if they continued to keep D. Murray on the field with a balanced attack, then the running of the football by Dallas could have caused us some trouble? Maybe even some end-of-game drama, I hate to say it?

We were losing in the trenches bad.
Never been impressed Williams although I do think he's a solid back up player. He's kind of just there but I see no discernible impact as a player from him.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
First of all, Dallas has a GREAT O-line. Second, their running back is very good too. Third, Williams isn't on the field every play. Fourth, Williams isn't the only one responsible for keeping guys off the linebackers. Fifth, neither Dorsey nor Williams are classic, two-gap NT's.

Sometimes you need to give the opponent a little credit. The Dallas line was blocking everybody. McDonald was getting pushed around a lot, even Justin Smith was getting blocked.
Ian Williams wasn't Reggie White, but I watched every play he was in. He wasn't perfect, but the ONLY time we stopped Murray was when Williams was in the game. For example, on the first fumble by Scuta, Williams shut down the middle, forcing Murray to get sandwiched on the outsite.
On the INT by Reid. Romo forced the throw because Williams flashed a scare of pressure up the middle.

Perhaps we do need a true nose tackle, but that is a separate point. If we are going to blame Williams, we have to also blame McDonald, Justin Smith, and Dobbs for also getting blocked.

I would say TJE might have actually been the most physical presence on the line today.

Wilhoite just isn't that good of a player in-line. Borland would be better; he is a more physical presence, and wouldn't have surrendered as many long runs.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Never been impressed Williams although I do think he's a solid back up player. He's kind of just there but I see no discernible impact as a player from him.

Ray mcdonald was the invisible man too.
Originally posted by T-9ers:

Ray mcdonald was the invisible man too.

Exactly. NOBODY else was stopping the run either, but of course, "blame the new guy" and completely ignore the play of everybody else.
But Phoenix, don't you believe that hypothetically, say Dallas didn't self-destruct in the beginning of the game with the four turnovers, and if they continued to keep D. Murray on the field with a balanced attack, then the running of the football by Dallas could have caused us some trouble? Maybe even some end-of-game drama, I hate to say it?

We were losing in the trenches bad.

Don't be apolgetic. We overplayed the pass really bad and got destroyed against the run. If it wasn't for the turnovers, we would have struggled to stay in it. We had the ball 93 seconds in the first quarter.
The first half. The first half was disastrous everywhere but on the scoreboard. I think our secondary played well actually. But the front seven s*cked. we got pushed all over the field -- except for cowboy. I don't know what to say.

The first half was disastrous and the 49ers still held them to 3 points. That's the bottom line, you can play coulda/shoulda/woulda all night long but on the scoreboard, the 49ers kept a pretty good offense down for the most part.
Share 49ersWebzone