There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We can't stop the run..

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Our once proud strength of the defense is no more. We let all of our NT's go and now we're paying for it big time. The secondary had always been questionable now with the front 7 struggling with the run we may be in for a long season.. Also doesn't help that the offense has gone MIA..

LOL. You seriously think that 2011 defense was sustainable long term? That was a HISTORIC defense.

Defense is fine. Get the offense to help them out and they will look better, but regardless of that they have played well this season thus far. Are they the same defense of 2011? No. But that wasnt sustainable long term anyways.

Giving up 170+ yds rushing is never a good thing, regardless of how pathetic the 49ers offense has been...and Niners have done it 2 games in a row. The "warning sign" was there in the opener vs. GB, when they shut down Lacy for 3 qtrs, but then in the 4th he and the GB OL started to wear on the 49ers. Yes, Aaron Rodgers, but still Packers only had 21 mins TOP and scored 4 TDs. Last week, D held Wilson in check, but Lynch/Turbin gouged the 49ers between the tackles. Today, Luck didn't have a monster day, but again, the run defense was not good.

And the common denominator in a lot of this is the 49ers are often in nickel coverage, 7 in the box and one of them is Rogers, even when facing 2 TEs, and safeties typically 15 yds deep. I think that combined with the lack of plug to anchor the middle of the DL are playing just as much a role as a non-productive 49ers offense.

I'm not expecting the 2011 defense, but I'd settle for the 2012 one up until halftime of the Pats game.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Our once proud strength of the defense is no more. We let all of our NT's go and now we're paying for it big time. The secondary had always been questionable now with the front 7 struggling with the run we may be in for a long season.. Also doesn't help that the offense has gone MIA..

LOL. You seriously think that 2011 defense was sustainable long term? That was a HISTORIC defense.

Defense is fine. Get the offense to help them out and they will look better, but regardless of that they have played well this season thus far. Are they the same defense of 2011? No. But that wasnt sustainable long term anyways.

Giving up 170+ yds rushing is never a good thing, regardless of how pathetic the 49ers offense has been...and Niners have done it 2 games in a row. The "warning sign" was there in the opener vs. GB, when they shut down Lacy for 3 qtrs, but then in the 4th he and the GB OL started to wear on the 49ers. Yes, Aaron Rodgers, but still Packers only had 21 mins TOP and scored 4 TDs. Last week, D held Wilson in check, but Lynch/Turbin gouged the 49ers between the tackles. Today, Luck didn't have a monster day, but again, the run defense was not good.

And the common denominator in a lot of this is the 49ers are often in nickel coverage, 7 in the box and one of them is Rogers, even when facing 2 TEs, and safeties typically 15 yds deep. I think that combined with the lack of plug to anchor the middle of the DL are playing just as much a role as a non-productive 49ers offense.

I'm not expecting the 2011 defense, but I'd settle for the 2012 one up until halftime of the Pats game.

Exactly. When niners go nickel the front 4 is getting killed. Playing 4 de's isn't cutting it. They need some more beef with the 4 man front.
There isn't a defense in the NFL who can hold up to a constant barrage because the offense can't even get a 1st down.

It isn't complicated, it was the same thing we saw when Alex Smith played this crappy. It doesn't matter how talented the defense is if they're back on the field in less than 3 minutes because the offense can't move the ball.
D struggling = Kaps fault
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
But, but, but I thought we don't need a NT because it isn't important...

this
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

crap time of possession....D gets tired....Kaps fault bud
Originally posted by jreff22:

How the f is that not apparent? The D had the door open for Kap until halfway through the 4th.

On the first few drives? not really
I understand that Kap has blame... but so does the Oline, play calling WRS...just saying
Two weeks in a row a run around left end (right defensive end) killed the 9ers. I don't recall that happening last year...ever! I understand the need to take chances at times but to lose contain is so unlike the disciplined niner defense!
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

How the f is that not apparent? The D had the door open for Kap until halfway through the 4th.

Pretty much the exact same thing two weeks in a row. The defense kept the team in the game but eventually in the 4th QTR they just got so tired that they couldn't get off the field and started getting frustrated and made dumb penalties.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Pretty much the exact same thing two weeks in a row. The defense kept the team in the game but eventually in the 4th QTR they just got so tired that they couldn't get off the field and started getting frustrated and made dumb penalties.

basically

both these games were close until the 4th

psychologically how do you think that affects the defense holding a team to limited anything and your offense does absolutely nothing.

176 yards because they rushed it and rushed it

i keep telling people

we lose when the team runs our game plan on US

ball control and run

and in those games... we do the opposite. we pass all day long.

it's the most idiotic thing i can think of
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We can stop the run, but Harbonehead can't stop Greg RoBlow from outsmarting himself
We can't stop the run

when we play defense THE WHOLE GAME.
The game was only 13-7 until the last 7 minutes of the game.

NINERS FIRST 8 POSSESIONS

PUNT

TD

PUNT

PUNT

HALF

PUNT

PUNT

PUNT