There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Quick Thoughts

We get a lot of bad PI calls and calls in general against us. like 50/50 calls, im wondering if refs just really dislike Harbs always questioning their job and really blasting the SB refs for not calling the hold on Crabs(which never gets called late in games.) I honestly don't think yelling at refs has helped our cause, cause on eevry questionable could be/could not be PI play we get the flag, yet i see other teams in other games and our opponents hold our WR's jersey, bump and run coverage while locking up our guys shoulder pads well after 5 yards etc.

But that doesn;t even begin to address our problems, i was just thinking about people talking about how penalized we were. I think the webzone consensus is we need to run more, the wham blocks and tackle pulls worked so well out of the I formation today! I was s**tting my pants after that drive, i thought we were back,.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I was watching the middle of the defense today, and it got demolished. The D-line did nothing to help the LB's make plays, well except for Justin Smith who they held most of the time. Sopoaga is gone yes, but when he was here, I noticed no team could run up the middle on the 9ers defense. Something has got to be done.

We drafted two guys that could have helped on the DL, but both are on IR and who knows if they'll come back this season. The staff can be second guessed on drafting 3 injured players.

This is huge to me, our D line got blocked pretty well today, and that disgusted me. But we spent several draft picks on hurt players which imo could all turn out to be solid players, but in the here and now with Williams down it does nothing to help us. Our D line has not been elite like 2011. Our O line has its problems it seems now too. But we could use Carradine here soon, i hope the risk of picking them pays off.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I find it so hard to believe that he's regressed so much, though. He was looking off receivers last year... even in his first start. He was calling audibles EVERY play in that Falcons game when we were done 17-0. I've seen touch passes from the kid. I just think he's mentally messed up right now.

Just about sums it up right there. With these two back to back embarrassments it doesn't look pretty going into next week playing against the Rams, who always put up a fight. I thought an a** whoopin in Seattle would wake us up, but CLEARLY, we have an offensive execution problem and the time has already come to put blame on Kaep, the dude isn't perfect, and is also missing key receivers, and boy do I wish Crabs could just come back already.

So receiver separation huh? Well I think our way to counter that issue is to draw some quicker plays, shorter drop backs, 3 steps, not so much 5 because defensive lineman are ready to feast on Kaep now that they've seen we're exposed. The run game did work early on, and that was good to see despite everything that came after. Don't let those INTs get into your heads guys, that last one Kaep threw was just the indicator of the luck we're having right now, and so I think drawing up quicker plays where Kaep can get his timing down with the WR's we have is like the only key (besides running the ball) to getting his confidence back up.

It won't be easy, especially since everybody is gonna be looking to take us out, I can't imagine how motivated teams are gonna be after seeing how Luck just ripped us apart and the defense was obviously deadbeat tired. The defense will get its stops once our offense gets going IMO and this won't happen in a flash in my eyes (as much as I want it to), it'll come eventually.

The problem I have right now as well is that Kaep CAN drop back and throw the ball, but the rumors that he relies on his power more than trying to be accurate is ABSOLUTELY right, I just didn't notice that before. So that is a fundamental he can surely practice and maintain, but the main thing right now is to get his confidence up, because his success will lead to the success of the defense and this team if that hasn't been established already. I got faith, but man if our receivers could come back any quicker...
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I find it so hard to believe that he's regressed so much, though. He was looking off receivers last year... even in his first start. He was calling audibles EVERY play in that Falcons game when we were done 17-0. I've seen touch passes from the kid. I just think he's mentally messed up right now.

Just about sums it up right there. With these two back to back embarrassments it doesn't look pretty going into next week playing against the Rams, who always put up a fight. I thought an a** whoopin in Seattle would wake us up, but CLEARLY, we have an offensive execution problem and the time has already come to put blame on Kaep, the dude isn't perfect, and is also missing key receivers, and boy do I wish Crabs could just come back already.

So receiver separation huh? Well I think our way to counter that issue is to draw some quicker plays, shorter drop backs, 3 steps, not so much 5 because defensive lineman are ready to feast on Kaep now that they've seen we're exposed. The run game did work early on, and that was good to see despite everything that came after. Don't let those INTs get into your heads guys, that last one Kaep threw was just the indicator of the luck we're having right now, and so I think drawing up quicker plays where Kaep can get his timing down with the WR's we have is like the only key (besides running the ball) to getting his confidence back up.

It won't be easy, especially since everybody is gonna be looking to take us out, I can't imagine how motivated teams are gonna be after seeing how Luck just ripped us apart and the defense was obviously deadbeat tired. The defense will get its stops once our offense gets going IMO and this won't happen in a flash in my eyes (as much as I want it to), it'll come eventually.

The problem I have right now as well is that Kaep CAN drop back and throw the ball, but the rumors that he relies on his power more than trying to be accurate is ABSOLUTELY right, I just didn't notice that before. So that is a fundamental he can surely practice and maintain, but the main thing right now is to get his confidence up, because his success will lead to the success of the defense and this team if that hasn't been established already. I got faith, but man if our receivers could come back any quicker...

Completely agree. The Seattle game did something to him mentally. He's just not on his game, kind of rattled, out of sync. Maybe it all came to easy for him and now he's hitting a big slump. Thank God we have Harbaugh. If there is anyone who can help him through this it's the QB Whisperer. This isn't easy to watch, but I'm going to enjoy seeing how this team and particularly the coaching staff responds to this level of adversity.
To me there is blame to go around everywhere,but ultimately it starts with the FO..Starting with the AJ Jenkins draft class..pretty wasted draft actually.That draft class would be stepping up this season instead who is even on the field from that draft..James ??? For the most part the FO has drafted fairly well but missing out on a entire draft I believe is catching up now.. Then letting the anchors of of the d-line get away I couldn't understand letting RJF get away after the niners groomed him from a 7th rd pick to a decent player that brought attitude thats now missing...
Kaep these last 3 games has looked skittish and completely unsure of himself .I know,, in the green bay game he lit it up but even in that game there were times he ran the play clock out calling way to many audibles and shifts. plus there are times if he would just commit to the run and run the dam ball he would of kept more then a few drives going. Running is one of his strengths as a QB so to see him not take off is puzzling.
Just a quick thought did all that playboy crap in the off season ,photo shoots here and there along with all the hype that was written about him make him think he is the niners and that he has to carry the team..carrying to much pressure maybe ??
I don't really want to make any analysis on the receivers..roman should game plan for what he has,,run picks, wr screens short quick slants, something other then what he has been..
Penalties ..killing us.for sure there's been some horrible calls by the refs, but that happens to every team. Coach needs to bring what can be controlled in order...
I'm sure there is more to say but this is way more then I ever like to type ..but I had to vent after watching that game
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
They've been having trouble since the 4th qtr two weeks ago vs. GB...they shut down Lacy entire first half, most of 3rd qtr, but in the 4th qtr he was going for 5 yds a pop. And now two straight weeks of giving up 170+ yds on the ground. And there are people who are saying the 49ers defense is fine. Yeah, you can point fingers at the offense, and it's true the last two games they haven't done d*** to help the D, and there's been some tough penalties go against them, but to me that's just an unwillingness to look at this defense in an honest light...they just are not getting it done.

They are tired near the end of the game due to the offense's ineptitude.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
They've been having trouble since the 4th qtr two weeks ago vs. GB...they shut down Lacy entire first half, most of 3rd qtr, but in the 4th qtr he was going for 5 yds a pop. And now two straight weeks of giving up 170+ yds on the ground. And there are people who are saying the 49ers defense is fine. Yeah, you can point fingers at the offense, and it's true the last two games they haven't done d*** to help the D, and there's been some tough penalties go against them, but to me that's just an unwillingness to look at this defense in an honest light...they just are not getting it done.

They are tired near the end of the game due to the offense's ineptitude.

That's not exactly true...Seattle had >100 yds rushing in the 1st half, Colts had ~65. I'm not denying the defense is getting worn down as games get into the 3rd/4th qtrs...as I've pointed out, even though the stats won't show GB had a great day running the ball, the fact is their OL/Lacy started to beat the Niner DL in the 4th qtr. And the 49ers ineptitude on offense the past 2 games hasn't helped. But it's more than just "they're tired".

Again, the 49ers have spent a good portion of these 3 games in the nickel, and in the 49ers scheme that usually means no NT, 7 in the box with a CB (Rogers) being one, and safeties 15 yds off the LOS. I honestly don't know if this is the same nickel alignment they've used the entire Fangio tenure, but obviously in the past they had good enough DL play to keep Willis/Bowman from being mauled by Center/Guards. They were good enough to make this challenge and win...teams still couldn't run on them. Now it's not the case, and it will continue if nothing changes in scheme and/or personnel.
Someone made an excellent post in another thread and I just wanted to reiterate his thoughts. Basically, the last two weeks Seattle and Indy have been running the ball effectively, but it's mainly out of 3 receiver sets. When we're forced into our Nickel package, we take our nose tackle out of the game and we drop a linebacker for an extra DB. And in Fangio's defense our safeties play REALLY deep. We're left with a weak run defense in this package and if a team is really serious about running the ball (not the Packers) then eventually they'll shred us. Our team relies so much on the success and effort of our front seven. And we rarely help them out with substituting or blitzing which makes it even that much harder on them.

Another thing I noticed about Kaepernick, even going back to last year, is that when he does scramble out of the pocket it's almost exclusively to his left side. I've never understood this. It's so hard to throw on the run when you have to flip your hips and throw across your body. He'd be so much more effective if he ran right. Not to rag on Kap any more, but there was a play in the game that basically summarized his confidence, or lack thereof, as of right now. It was a completion to Bruce Miller up the sideline. Really easy read and throw. The problem I had was that Miller is actually the second option on that throw. It's a Hi/Lo read, and a receiver (McDonald I think) was streaking on a corner route in man coverage. Would have been a big gainer. But Kap was so shaken that he didn't even bother and took the easy route.