LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

New offense vs Old offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I agree. The reason why Kaep could run it better is because he can hit on those deeper passes, but we do not need to make that our offense.

We need to run a power run based WCO with the occasional deep shots. Kap doesn't even look at a receiver unless he's at least ten yards down the field. I saw a few times backs and TE open in the flat but Kap won't throw it. We're not keeping the Defense honest and we're not utilizing or strong oline which was built to pound the ball.

Our offense was built to fit a particular offensive philosophy but we're not adhering to that philosophy. It's pretty simple, but Roman thinks he's extra smart and it's backfiring at a 5 ppg rate right now.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erempire:
I swear Kap looks like Jeff George out there. The entire freaking game plan is for him to launch these homeruns. We need to get back to our short passing game and our running game.

Gore was beasting and then it was gone.

To be honest, I dont think Kap can run a traditional offense under center. That's why Roman is calling these options because it's easy on Kap.

He did it in the Bears game last year to perfection, so I don't see why he can't. He was making reads, calling audibles, checking down, it was amazing. On their one touchdown drive today, every play except one was from under center. He can do it.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I swear Kap looks like Jeff George out there. The entire freaking game plan is for him to launch these homeruns. We need to get back to our short passing game and our running game.

To be honest, I dont think Kap can run a traditional offense under center. That's why Roman is calling these options because it's easy on Kap.

He did it in the Bears game last year to perfection, so I don't see why he can't. He was making reads, calling audibles, checking down, it was amazing. On their one touchdown drive today, every play except one was from under center. He can do it.

He ran a traditional offense all last regular season until the playoffs.. He can run a traditional offense. The most success we had today against the Colts was when he was under center handing the ball off and throwing from play action. Not this cute pistol read option b******t.
Originally posted by Antix:
Yeah. Roman needs to pretend Smith is still the QB.

Exactly, our defense needs a break. I'm positive Kaepernick can run that same offense much better because he's a better downfield thrower. But, for now, there's lot of film out there on Kap, and this is the NFL. The league has realize, we are not a run first team anymore and thus have adjusted. Nothing to keep D's honest like a good old smash mouth running game.
Funny how things jump off a cliff when a super talented receiver (Crabtree) goes down with an injury.

I think this coaching unit is completely in the dark about what to do with this offense right now.

They could increase the dump offs and screens and defenses would adjust to that too, but there still wouldn't be anyone open.

The only reason we beat up GB is their secondary stunk.

Only Boldin muscling for the ball and Davis open 8 times a game about 20 yards down field is working on occasion, but Kaep is under pressure because they are stacking the box wide daring us to run or dump off.

They don't think we can go down field and are pressuring everything else and are right.

If they don't employ some completely new philosophies and plays into the offense it will be too late by the time Crabtree gets back on the field and has a few games going.

Bunch formations, slants, double tight ends on the same side, reverses, jumbo with a Dlineman as the fullback even on first down just to soften them up and get 4 yards and a cloud of dust, fullback out of the backfield, run multiple receivers in the same zone and clear space for a tight end to release and plant for a catch like they used to do with Brent Jones, pull 4 linemen with a fullback blocking for Gore to one side like they used to do with Rathman and Craig and that line.

This coaching staff better wake up quick.
This is actually great advice. Go back to that Bears game last year, Kaep played EXACTLY like Smith, except with a better arm and more foot speed. Harbaugh and Roman need to simplify the reads and game plan, and get back to power running. Exposing your QB this much is idiocy, especially when he's so young. Need to slowly build up his confidence.

Its really all we need to do. It's so simple. Kap could run the "Smith" offense better than Smith because he has the physical tools. But Roman is too in love with Kaps physical tools and it's fcked up the offense. Just dust off the old playbook and scale things back. Hopefully he gets the message.

you need more than physical tools...there is a mental side to playing qb, which smith was excellent at, ie presnap reads, audibling to the right play (it seems to me you don't hear kaepernick saying let it roll or kill kill kill near as much smith did..

did you notice too that every time they run gore outside they picked up big chunks of yards (refuting grant cohn's theory that gore's legs are shot because they didn't run him outside in the 1st 2 games)...yet they never ran a pitch outside, that I recall, in the 2nd half
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Funny how things jump off a cliff when a super talented receiver (Crabtree) goes down with an injury.

I think this coaching unit is completely in the dark about what to do with this offense right now.

They could increase the dump offs and screens and defenses would adjust to that too, but there still wouldn't be anyone open.

The only reason we beat up GB is their secondary stunk.

Only Boldin muscling for the ball and Davis open 8 times a game about 20 yards down field is working on occasion, but Kaep is under pressure because they are stacking the box wide daring us to run or dump off.

They don't think we can go down field and are pressuring everything else and are right.

If they don't employ some completely new philosophies and plays into the offense it will be too late by the time Crabtree gets back on the field and has a few games going.

Bunch formations, slants, double tight ends on the same side, reverses, jumbo with a Dlineman as the fullback even on first down just to soften them up and get 4 yards and a cloud of dust, fullback out of the backfield, run multiple receivers in the same zone and clear space for a tight end to release and plant for a catch like they used to do with Brent Jones, pull 4 linemen with a fullback blocking for Gore to one side like they used to do with Rathman and Craig and that line.

This coaching staff better wake up quick.

On point.
This whole new offense stinks of Mangini
Old offense = better.

New offense = suck.

Old QB gets wins = 3 - 0.

New QB flashy and athletic = 1 - 2.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Old offense = better.

New offense = suck.

Old QB has weapons who suited up.

New QB has dry cupboard.

Old QBs TEAM faced one .500 team from last season and two cellar dwellars.

New QBs TEAM faced 3 11-5 playoff TEAMS from last season.

Casual fan attributes wins and losses to strictly QB play.

Intelligent fan does not.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM ]
Yeah. Roman needs to pretend Smith is still the QB.

But can Kaepernick run Smith-style offense? Remember: last year Smith was standing on the sideline giving advice to Kaepernick. Much different story this year.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Anyone notice Goodwin snaps the ball at his knees when he's not under center? I noticed a lot of low snaps I feel Kaep is bending to get the snap killing a tenth of a second of response time. Am I imagining this or anyone else see this.
Old offense = better.

New offense = suck.

Kaep in the old offense. What's your point?

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Old offense = better.

New offense = suck.

Old QB has weapons who suited up.

New QB has dry cupboard.

Old QBs TEAM faced one .500 team from last season and two cellar dwellars.

New QBs TEAM faced 3 11-5 playoff TEAMS from last season.

Casual fan attributes wins and losses to strictly QB play.

Intelligent fan does not.

Thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone