There are 221 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by SaksV:
I dunno y'all...I think Crabs is borderline elite. Not totally...there are times when he doesn't read coverages as an elite receiver should, but he does pretty much everything else very very very well. When our play-calling has been on point, and Kap isn't making it obvious how much he wants to get it to #15, then Crabs has big games... If that makes any sense

Gotta catch game winners if you want to be elite....

Not just game winner, buts also, they won't be perfect passes. Any competent receiver should be able to catch a perfectly thrown ball. A special one makes the play when it isn't perfectly thrown. I still like Crabtree and I want him here long term, but I'm beginning to accept who he is as a receiver.

me to... you want to make the bucks,, you make that catch.. really pissed me off that we worked so hard to over come all the mistakes and then crabs can not haul it in,
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
I dunno y'all...I think Crabs is borderline elite. Not totally...there are times when he doesn't read coverages as an elite receiver should, but he does pretty much everything else very very very well. When our play-calling has been on point, and Kap isn't making it obvious how much he wants to get it to #15, then Crabs has big games... If that makes any sense

Gotta catch game winners if you want to be elite....

Not just game winner, buts also, they won't be perfect passes. Any competent receiver should be able to catch a perfectly thrown ball. A special one makes the play when it isn't perfectly thrown. I still like Crabtree and I want him here long term, but I'm beginning to accept who he is as a receiver.

True...hence the word "borderline".
As far as making tough catches are concerned, I don't think Crabtree lacks in this department. If you're asking him to catch passes that are tipped away (meaning, he didn't even get a chance to touch the ball) then that's unreasonable IMO.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
I think he'll be gone after this season. They know it, which is just one reason we brought so many WR's in. Lloyd isn't an answer though, not for a long term no 1 or 2 WR. Boldin is aging and will be gone/downhill after 2015. Johnson was a great pickup but we should have drafted a bigger WR earlier in the draft to replace Crabs. Need to do that in the next draft. Tall/strong/big with leaping ability and wide catch radius. Good route runner, decent speed. Doesn't necessarily have to be 6-6.

Kap needs WR's who can bring in fastballs and guys who can take in contested balls and who can jump above defenders. Short/quick WR's, with Kaps style, wont work out IMO. He doesn't throw players open or throw lob passes. They have to be able to fight for the ball, jump for the ball...bring the fastball ball in with great hands. Like Boldin. A taller Boldin would be perfect.
[ Edited by Phil on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
I think he'll be gone after this season. They know it, which is just one reason we brought so many WR's in. Lloyd isn't an answer though, not for a long term no 1 or 2 WR. Boldin is aging and will be gone/downhill after 2015. Johnson was a great pickup but we should have drafted a bigger WR earlier in the draft to replace Crabs. Need to do that in the next draft. Tall/strong/big with leaping ability and wide catch radius. Good route runner, decent speed. Doesn't necessarily have to be 6-6.

I disagree. It's one thing to say we should've drafted a certain player. I wanted Jordan Matthews. However, which player are you willing to give up so we could've had that bigger receiver? We needed a slot corner, I didn't think Carlos Hyde was a need at the time, but because or injuries and quitters, I'm glad we did take him. The only possibility is in the third round where we took two lineman, but taking them then means we are prepared to move on from Mike Iupati which will allow us to take a receiver earlier if we do let Michael Crabtree walk. For 2014, we are fine.
  • Phil
  • Veteran

I disagree. It's one thing to say we should've drafted a certain player. I wanted Jordan Matthews. However, which player are you willing to give up so we could've had that bigger receiver? We needed a slot corner, I didn't think Carlos Hyde was a need at the time, but because or injuries and quitters, I'm glad we did take him. The only possibility is in the third round where we took two lineman, but taking them then means we are prepared to move on from Mike Iupati which will allow us to take a receiver earlier if we do let Michael Crabtree walk. For 2014, we are fine.

We could have done a number of things to grab a WR in the second round. Didn't need Borland and probably wont in the future. The Brandon Thomas pick was questionable, how has that strategy worked out? What injured players have we picked who are on field making a difference? Hyde, yes, we didn't need another RB either but with Hunters injury thank god we did. Ward? We should have picked a true CB in the first. Ellington? Should have gone after a WR in the second. The 7th through 12'th picks...Lynch is the only one who stands out and he has a limited skill set. We could have used a couple of those picks, with a third to move up with other picks. Water under the bridge now.

We could have done a number of things to grab a WR in the second round. Didn't need Borland and probably wont in the future. The Brandon Thomas pick was questionable, how has that strategy worked out? What injured players have we picked who are on field making a difference? Hyde, yes, we didn't need another RB either but with Hunters injury thank god we did. Ward? We should have picked a true CB in the first. Ellington? Should have gone after a WR in the second. The 7th through 12'th picks...Lynch is the only one who stands out and he has a limited skill set. We could have used a couple of those picks, with a third to move up with other picks. Water under the bridge now.

Now you've lost me. Trashing the whole draft after 2 weeks?
  • Phil
  • Veteran

Questioning 2 or 3 picks? Ya. Trashing the whole draft? No. (insert patronizing emoji)

Questioning 2 or 3 picks? Ya. Trashing the whole draft? No. (insert patronizing emoji)

W/E you still have nothing to base that on. Most of these guys have shown incredibly promising signs all off season but 1 bad game... no one bad quarter... SMH

This is exactly what I was thinking. I was going to ask how did the poster how did they come to know so much?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Last 5 games vs. AZ

30 receptions
456 yrds
91.2 yrds per game
4 TD

Is Crabtree ever going to be 100% healthy? He better ball out this weekend if we're without Vernon Davis. Same for Stevie Johnson. You know Boldin will come to play.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Sep 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Last 5 games vs. AZ

30 receptions
456 yrds
91.2 yrds per game
4 TD

Boldin's career average against AZ: 107 yds
Still arooooound
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rammer:
Still arooooound

LOL....Punjabi gangstas. This can't be real.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by rammer:
Still arooooound

LOL....Punjabi gangstas. This can't be real.

The link didn't work, but what was it? Lol
Share 49ersWebzone