LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Franchise his non elite butt!!!
is michael crabtree #elite?
I may be wrong, but I don't think he's ever been top-10 in any stat so that means he's not elite. He's good, but if he expects top-10 receiver money, you would expect him to be top 10 in something.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. LOL. People overrate him massively on the WZ. He had 1 healthy and very productive season ever. 1 season............. in all the years he has played. He's usually holding out or walking around in a boot or has a bad achilles. Plus he is not that fast. He was on a 6 year contract so he will be about 28 when it's up. You could franchise tag him one year and he would make it until 29. After that SEE YA!

Being healthy IS PART of the equation. People on the WZ always pretend like it is not. But it is. And Crabtree is not healthy. He had 1 productive season ever. He's not worth elite money. Franchise tag him one year and let him go after that if need be. We need a younger and faster WR.

Now Crabtree is not worthless. He has a skill set. He's just slow, injured and our QB really tends to stare him down. He may be forced to look at the whole field without Crabtree which would be good for his growth process.

I will have to agree with San Diego on this one. Crabtree is good but not great. Being the best WR on the Niners doesn't necessarily mean he is "elite" in terms of the whole league. I think the Niners will treat him like any other free agent they have had to sign in the past. Baalke and the team will come up with a number and a contract length they are comfortable with and say "take it or leave it". If he plays the full season and has a great year, he will get paid well by the Niners. If not, it's his time to hit the open market.

P.S. May 8th cannot come soon enough. We will see exactly how the front office and coaching staff feel about our currrent WR's.
This is Crabtree's last year. His replacement will be drafted this year. I also think that Boldin's replacement in 2 years will be drafted this year, as well. I have Beckham and Bryant in my mock draft with Patton developing into our "go to" receiver in 2 years. He understands how to get open.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by baltien:
While I agree that Crabtree isn't elite (yet), unfortunately that means very little when it comes to contract negotiations.

As it stands now, the case could be made that he's "better" (or more productive, if you prefer) than Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin and Dwayne Bowe--three of the top-five highest paid receivers in the league (based on average annual salary). And FWIW, I can see him very easily outperforming all of those guys this upcoming season. Should that happen, he and his agent are going to have a very good case that yes worth top-five money. And if we don't pay it to him (which isn't likely in my opinion), then someone else will.

Just the way it works.

it doesn't work that way

if this was the case, every player in the nfl would bring up every former player that got payed a big contract and everybody would be making 10mil+ a year...wallace, bowe, and even harvin, got payed on production. if crabtree goes out this year puts up 10+ TDs and 1200+ yards, than he might see that kind of money. if he doesn't produce at a high level, the FA market will dictate his price. if crabtree would've been a FA right now, i doubt he would see anything more than 6mil a year, and with his injury history, for a max 3 years.
yeah my fear is that if he does land that big contract that he might slip back into that mediocre lifestyle of playing when its convenient.
come on guys... i mean really? you kno that Crabtree is at least top 10 in the NFL... dude is a beast and does not go down easy
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
come on guys... i mean really? you kno that Crabtree is at least top 10 in the NFL... dude is a beast and does not go down easy

Debate able .......
Dude needs to give us some elite play first.He can walk for free n get it somewhere else.

Hopefully we draft someone who can fill that spot in the future if elite pay is his demand.
Guy is going to want Wallace, Harvin money at 12/yr and probably settle for just over 10. Remember the cap is going up and some team will be dumb enough to pay him that. Look what the Browns did with Whitner and they already had a better, younger safety that they let go for less.

I thought the Redskins got a deal in D. Jackson at 8/yr.

His great hands can't be denied and he's proven to bail Kap out on less than perfect throws, but I wouldn't give him crazy money.

It would probably help Kaps development if he didn't have Crabtree to over focus on.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
His great hands can't be denied and he's proven to bail Kap out on less than perfect throws, but I wouldn't give him crazy money.

It would probably help Kaps development if he didn't have Crabtree to over focus on.

Agree.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

Debate able .......

when he is healthy he can be but is a concern
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Guy is going to want Wallace, Harvin money at 12/yr and probably settle for just over 10. Remember the cap is going up and some team will be dumb enough to pay him that. Look what the Browns did with Whitner and they already had a better, younger safety that they let go for less.

I thought the Redskins got a deal in D. Jackson at 8/yr.

Agree with this.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I consider Michael Crabtree an Elite Wide Receiver...but I'm not the one cuttin his check.
[ Edited by SaksV on Apr 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone