LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LVJay:
This tender foot diva will benefit under better offense, period (our STINKS)

I could see him going to the Patriots and giving Brady a legitimate WR to throw to.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LVJay:
This tender foot diva will benefit under better offense, period (our STINKS)

I could see him going to the Patriots and giving Brady a legitimate WR to throw to.
i feel like that, but with the whole team
Crabtree is tough to evaluate. He had a season where he was getting so much separation, making plays, and put up some decent numbers.

It seems now he isn't getting separation, and he's not doing anything impactful.

Why? Scheme? Routes? Ability? Quarterback?
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Crabtree is tough to evaluate. He had a season where he was getting so much separation, making plays, and put up some decent numbers.

It seems now he isn't getting separation, and he's not doing anything impactful.

All of the above I would say

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Crabs best season was also the season we had our best receiving core (under harbaugh) in terms of balance. Crabs got so much yac partly due to skill, but in my opinion, more so because we could stretch the defense in all manners.

Randy moss commanded double teams at times and drew defenders out. Vernon and Walker could stretch the field horizontally and vertically. We even had Manningham partly through the season who could be a threat anywhere.

This completely opened up the intermediate part of the field for him. He has the size/power to break a few tackles once/if he gets some momentum. And with the way we stretched the defense he was able to do just that.

Now in 2014 we have absolutely no deep threat. All our receivers pretty much share a similar skill set and our one player with speed mailed it in long ago. Defenses are no longer being pulled out of those intermediate areas of the field. If he catches the ball either he's tackled immediately or since defenders are already playing closer, he can't get up to speed to pull off any nice moves for some YAC.

Crabs is a good receiver. He has great hands (despite this season) and is an excellent route runner. He'd put up some great numbers in the right system. 2012 was an example of that. But I don't think he's a number one receiver. A true number 1 shouldn't have to have everything be right around him to excel. Hes on the cusp of it.

He's a hard guy to judge though. Crabs wasn't stellar prior to 2012. 2013 he was injured and seems to have been rushed back. 2014 most everyone should get a pass. Way too many factors that went wrong to judge anyone.

I wouldn't be mad if we let him go nor would I mind if we kept him for the cheap. I may prefer letting him walk unless it was some super cheap prove it deal. I far prefer Stevie's skills of getting open and Stevie has been just as sure handed as crabs was. Boldin is a far better 3rd down option even at his current age. Crabs is like a mix of those two. He can do all that both of them do but I feel that Stevie and Boldin excel in their particular area. I'd be more inclined tobsee Patton, Ellington, or even a FA or rookie fill his spot to add some speed to this receiving core.

Probably schemes. The receivers are not facing the quarterback on routes, and never knows when Kap is being chased down. This is happening a lot since the OLine has been awful, and not giving Kap time and for the play to develop. Can't throw to a receiver that isn't looking.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Dec 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Probably schemes. The receivers are not facing the quarterback on routes, and never knows when Kap is being chased down. This is happening a lot since the OLine has been awful, and not giving Kap time and for the play to develop. Can't throw to a receiver that isn't looking.

I think schemes are the major culprit.

I also think he isn't as good as we initially thought.

Have zero problems saying Adios!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm sure somebody will offer him the world (Raiders, Jags, Titans, etc.). I liked him while he was here -- always entertaining to watch. But my guess is we won't value him as much as another team may.

Luckily, we have a Patton and Ellington that have shown some potential, along with Boldin for another year. And who knows what Stevie Johnson can provide. Also, we have a great shot to bring in a top red zone or speed WR in the draft.

We'll be alright.
  • dj43

I believe there are numerous other teams that will look at what he did before this whole offensive mess came down and will recognize the guy has talent.

It will be interesting to see his approach if Baalke hires a solid offensive-minded coach along with an experienced (Tom Moore/Tom Clements) level QB coach. If that happens, Crabtree may be talked into staying at an affordable price. If not, he is gone. He knows he cannot reach his potential with Kaepernick playing like he has the past two seasons. MC must first be convinced he will have a QB that can get him the ball with regularity before he will even consider coming back for an extended period of time.

Even if he does agree to stay, I would expect him to have a clause in the contract that allows him to leave after a season if the QB situation is not resolved.
The sad part is it's taken 'til the end of this season for Crabtree to state he needs to catch more passes and score more TD's. No kidding, Michael. You've hurt your FA chances to land a big contract by under-achieving this season. And, you've contributed to the offensive failures of your team. I really don't know if Baalke wants to re-sign Michael or not...based on this year's performance, maybe not. We'll see. Every offensive player needs to give themselves a hard look this off-season and focus on the things that led to prior successes and where they can improve further.

cant wait til this assclown is off the team. all he does is b***h and moan. overrated as f**k. this year is good for one thing, trimming the fat and getting rid of some players who dont need/want to be here.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I think it's documented on here how much I want Crabtree to stay on this team and continue to grow.

He's our Keenan McCardell, we just need a Jimmy Smith.
Originally posted by SaksV:
I think it's documented on here how much I want Crabtree to stay on this team and continue to grow.

He's our Keenan McCardell, we just need a Jimmy Smith.

I think he's our JJ Stokes
Remember when he held out for the first 4 games because he believed he was worth more money? haha what a joke......
  • dj43
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The sad part is it's taken 'til the end of this season for Crabtree to state he needs to catch more passes and score more TD's. No kidding, Michael. You've hurt your FA chances to land a big contract by under-achieving this season. And, you've contributed to the offensive failures of your team. I really don't know if Baalke wants to re-sign Michael or not...based on this year's performance, maybe not. We'll see. Every offensive player needs to give themselves a hard look this off-season and focus on the things that led to prior successes and where they can improve further.

I disagree somewhat with your overall point of laying a good part of this at Crabtree's feet.

We have a one read quarterback, a point that virtually every pro observer has noted. That first read is almost always Boldin. Rarely does CK come off that read to go to another receiving, particularly when that requires him to go to the opposite side of the field, or even back to the middle. The offense is designed to push the ball down the field, outside the hash. The result is that if the Anointed Receiver is not open, CK either pulls it down and runs or takes a sack all too often.

I believe it will take quite an expert to train/teach Kaepernick to be the kind of pocket-passing, read-the-defense quarterback that can best utilize Crabtree's best skills. That won't be easy, IMO. Consequently, I would not be surprised to see him leave.

He would fit with Tony Romo but the combination of Romo's back issues and Bryant's attitude might cause him to look elsewhere.

Gary Kubiak's offense in Baltimore would fit him well. Flacco seems to read it well much of the time. Torrey Smith would be excellent deep cover.

If Green Bay decides not to sign Randall Cobb, there would be money for Crabs there. Rodgers would love him.

If KC gets a speed guy in the draft, Crabtree would love the way Alex Smith has spread the ball around there. Reid has plenty of plays that would fit him.

There are a couple other places he could land but those are some that came to mind.
Share 49ersWebzone