LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
oh yeah, crabtree...he was that boss from texas tech. whatever happened to him?
Crabtree probally brings up that New England game still. His best performance as a pro.
I love that we drafted crabtree. I was very excited and thought he'd be top 10 WR in history...

But he looks slow. He really struggles to get open even against mediocre defensive backs...he makes great catches sometimes but he hasn't beaten anyone deep ever unless they fall down or get tripped up...
I usually never agree with Grant Cohn, but he wrote a piece recently and he said that Crabtree has run one good route this year, and I have to agree. That TD was a thing of beauty but other than that he's been average at best and the numbers reflect that.

He may end up with the Niners again (at a discount) unless some desperate team overpays for him or he has a killer second half of the season.
I just traded Deandre Hopkins for Michael Crabtree in my fantasy league. The 49er fan in me is hoping that he starts to really turn it on in the second half of the season so we can string together a bunch of wins and because he's trying to get paid! Don't let me down Crabs.. If you do, I'll just start the rookies Cooks or Beckham as my second WR.
Originally posted by trogdor:
I usually never agree with Grant Cohn, but he wrote a piece recently and he said that Crabtree has run one good route this year, and I have to agree. That TD was a thing of beauty but other than that he's been average at best and the numbers reflect that.

He may end up with the Niners again (at a discount) unless some desperate team overpays for him or he has a killer second half of the season.

Dang, maybe Shermphrodite was right when he called him a sorry ass receiver.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by trogdor:

Dang, maybe Shermphrodite was right when he called him a sorry ass receiver.

Funnty thing, if Sherman just said "hey, the guy just isn't that good", few 49er fans would have taken audit.
You guys sound like the talking heads on espn. Just repeating the same nonsense. Going along with "current" public opinion.

Coming out of the bye, Crabtree is still going to be getting first team reps opposite of Boldin. He's not going to lose playing time to Stevie or anyone else unless he gets hurt. Other than the drops, Crabtree is playing just fine in my opinion.

If Crabtree was destroying defenses you guys would still be hating on him saying he's just playing for himself to get a bigger contract in Dallas.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
if, if, if... if..

the bottom line is, we have been expecting Crab to destroy defenses.. instead, he's only given us a few good games here and there..... a few highlights of what he may become, or what he should be..

so many other WRs have already passed him by, so why in the world would we give him a 1st class WR contract, when he only deserve to be in the 2nd tier.. even his knuckle head buddy from Dallas is already better than him...

at times, I've wonder why Samurai Mike did not force Baalke to draft that guy...
Originally posted by 9moon:
if, if, if... if..

the bottom line is, we have been expecting Crab to destroy defenses.. instead, he's only given us a few good games here and there..... a few highlights of what he may become, or what he should be..

so many other WRs have already passed him by, so why in the world would we give him a 1st class WR contract, when he only deserve to be in the 2nd tier.. even his knuckle head buddy from Dallas is already better than him...

at times, I've wonder why Samurai Mike did not force Baalke to draft that guy...
I have no idea what your talking about...

Every player is going to try and get the most money they can. But the way you guys run with the "he wants #1 wr money" or "he wants to go to Dallas" or "he's playing for himself" or "he's a selfish player"... All that comes from you guys. Speculation...

I don't see the proof in any of it. Just like the beat writers when they run with a story.

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
You guys sound like the talking heads on espn. Just repeating the same nonsense. Going along with "current" public opinion.

Coming out of the bye, Crabtree is still going to be getting first team reps opposite of Boldin. He's not going to lose playing time to Stevie or anyone else unless he gets hurt. Other than the drops, Crabtree is playing just fine in my opinion.

If Crabtree was destroying defenses you guys would still be hating on him saying he's just playing for himself to get a bigger contract in Dallas.

lmao. WHAT?

i hate the talking heads on espn as well, but to say that Crabtree has been playing fine? then we have some sorry ass expectations out of a #8 pick overall. he's had one ABOVE AVERAGE season since he's been in the league. i'm not sure why some people have such a huge man crush on Crabtree...he is just no where near being a top notch NFL WR, even when healthy (which is rare)
Originally posted by 9moon:
if, if, if... if..

I have no idea what your talking about...

Every player is going to try and get the most money they can. But the way you guys run with the "he wants #1 wr money" or "he wants to go to Dallas" or "he's playing for himself" or "he's a selfish player"... All that comes from you guys. Speculation...

I don't see the proof in any of it. Just like the beat writers when they run with a story.

I haven't heard anything about him wanting to play in Dallas or being a selfish player at all (got to love assumptions)...SF will offer him a reasonable contract and he can either take it or see what the market will give him, but the way a lot of these rookie WRs have been playing I bet a lot of teams would rather draft a WR than pay one top dollar.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
lmao. WHAT?

i hate the talking heads on espn as well, but to say that Crabtree has been playing fine? then we have some sorry ass expectations out of a #8 pick overall. he's had one ABOVE AVERAGE season since he's been in the league. i'm not sure why some people have such a huge man crush on Crabtree...he is just no where near being a top notch NFL WR, even when healthy (which is rare)

Kap is avg 32 attempts a game did anyone really think with having SJ, Boldin, Lloyd, VD, Gore and Ellington that crabs would actually have higher numbers?? He is a good WR and would probably produce bigger numbers in a different offense with less talent.

lmao. WHAT?

Some people place a huge emphasis on where a guy is drafted and how they should produce. I don't care about that as much. I just want the players to fit the system and produce. We are not a high passing team (yardage or td's). Crabtree in my opinion, has played just fine. He was our first 1000 yard wr since TO and everyone wants to to ditch him because they think it's so easy to replace. Like it would be no problem to just have Ellington or Patton or Llyod or whomever to replace what Crabtree does.

I don't get it. Everyone wants him to have Dez or CJ stats because of where he was drafted. He won't do that when the Niners only pass for under 250 yards per game. If Jordy Nelson or Dez or another great wr was on this team their stats would go down as well.

Over Crabtree's career he has been hurt. But I've seen the offense and what it looks like when he's not in there. I don't have low expectations. I just think the offense is better him him in there.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
lmao. WHAT?

Kap is avg 32 attempts a game did anyone really think with having SJ, Boldin, Lloyd, VD, Gore and Ellington that crabs would actually have higher numbers?? He is a good WR and would probably produce bigger numbers in a different offense with less talent.
If the numbers get broken down, Kap is spreading the ball around nicely. Kap has 143 completions and 120 of those have gone to his main targets (Crab, Boldin, Stevie, Lloyd and VD).

If Kap goes to Crab more than another wr has to come down. It's not that Kap would suddenly have as many attempts as Bree's would.

I agree with you and I'll say it again, with Kap averaging 245 yards per game and about 20 completions per game... where are the monster numbers going to come from, from any of our players. Everyone is going to avg about 4 or 5 receptions per game with 5 or 6 rec per game. If Crab or Boldin start to get more, than someone else will get less. We won't turn into a team that starts passing like crazy.

Crabs is a good overall football player that fits our team.
Share 49ersWebzone