There are 195 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Right now he is not better than either Boldin or SJ, I would not offer him more than 6 mill which is what they are making.
At this point even 6 Million seems too much.
He aint got speed never had speed never gonna have speed. he needs to smash the weights and make the best of what he's got.
  • thl408
SJ should be with this team for the duration of his contract. He's a keeper. Hopefully Boldin stays with the team for one more year to play out his contract. I don't see why Crabs would get a large UFA deal unless the team that recruits him overpays (bad contract). Crabs hasn't done anything, with any consistency, to warrant a large deal ($9-10/year). If the 49ers are unable to retain him, I see a silver lining in that. If the team were to have SJ and Crabs as their #1 and #2, that still doesn't address the team's need for a speed threat WR. Before anyone says "Ellington", he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is a legit deep threat besides run fast in his underwear. Though I admit I don't know how Ellington looks in practices and if the coaches envision him as that deep threat player.

Besides beefing up pass protection, I think the next biggest factor to improve the passing game is a speedy WR with decent size. It's important that the speed threat is a #2 or #3 so that he doesn't just come in during 4WR sub packages. If Crabs and SJs stays (with Boldin still on board), the team may push that need down the list a bit. I would like to see the team push that need towards the top of the list this offseason. That could happen if Crabs leaves after this season.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

At this point even 6 million pesos is too much.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

Yeah Maclin,He's healthy and fast as Hell and CAN catch ,take the top off defenses.

Maclin healthy?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

At this point even 6 million pesos is too much.

He has 9 games to prove himself for the $$ he'll ask.

Pesos seem like a great idea!
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Originally posted by matt49er:
I can't believe how many people are saying Crabtree isn't very good or is all but gone or in some way insinuating that the 49ers don't need him. I fully acknowledge that Crabs has had an injury history, that he isn't Julio Jones or a top 5 WR. BUT he's a very good WR with terrific hands, his production is a bit down this season for several reasons, the most obvious being that we went from having 1-2 legit WRs on the team to 4 (5 if you wanna count Ellington). The other being that I don't think he's 100% healthy.

"Terrific hands?" You must be smoking the same stuff as Harbaugh. He leads the team in drops with 5. His health? He said weeks ago that he is 100% healthy. The reason he isn't getting so many targets is because he doesn't get open that often. Last game the announcers kept saying "nobody is open" as Kap ran around looking to throw. Thanks to Lloyd and Johnson, we are 4-3. Crabtree won't get the kind of contract he wants. We need to extend Lloyd now and hope to get either a top WR free agent or draft a WR. I don't see Crabs playing here next season.

If you don't see or recognize that throughout his career Crabtree has had excellent hands (some of the best in the NFL) then I don't know wtf to tell you buddy. Of course he said he's 100%, what do you expect him to say "Well I'm still hurting and it's gonna effect my performance a bit" if he's gonna do that, we might as well send a memo to the other team and say "Hey you can go ahead and worry about our other targets less, Crabs isn't himself". I agree we should extend Lloyd by a year or 2 but he's not exactly a spring chicken. Players aren't always open on every play, it sounds to me like you're only looking at this season (where he leads the team in TD catches and is 2nd in yards and receptions btw) and judging him poorly, look at his entire body of work.

Also btw, I'm not the only one that sees that he's not 100%: http://sfo.scout.com/story/1471850-49ers-pending-free-agent-update

The issue with Crabtree next season will be not whether the team wants him back, but whether Michael prices himself out of the 49ers market. Given the production he's had this year and his injury history it does give pause to handing over mega-bucks. The guy has excellent hands and is a very good receiver when he's healthy (iffy) and motivated (iffy). Another layer to this discussion revolves around the play of Stevie Johnson, who is play wonderfully right now while Crabtree struggles.

Bah....I hope Crabtree gets healthy, lights it up and all is right in the 49ers universe.
I absolutely agree w/your points bzb, I was responding to a poster who literally was arguing me that he's a good WR with good hands. All the issues you brought to the table are legit.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Yes I think Crabs**t not being here next year will most assuredly will make Keap abetter QB,by not like you say,90% of the time with the Game on the line Keap will have to scan the field instead of a pre-made-up mind to go to Crabs**t ,which has resulted in ...wait for it......FAILURE

Yes because last season with Crabtree out, Kaepernick was oh so outstanding...

I see that you did not completely get the KEY POINT I was making "When Game Is On The Line" and Keap is Targeting Crabs**t ,SaksV, how has THAT worked out for you? This is the point I was making.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
BTW, look at the remainder of that draft class:

Darius Heyward Bey
Percy Harvin
Hakeem Nicks
Jeremy Maclin

Would you rather have any of them in their CURRENT STATE over Crab?

Yeah Maclin,He's healthy and fast as Hell and CAN catch ,take the top off defenses.

Would not be opposed to signing Maclin. Last year was his only major injury dating back to his high school days

But I hope Crabtree steps it up. I think we can all agree his production has been down b/c the offense doesn't heavily rely on him as in the past. Our offense is exploiting match ups when defense has to account for stevie and lloyd w/ extra DB's
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Oct 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Would not be opposed to signing Maclin. Last year was his only major injury dating back to his high school days

Yes, but I heard he had arthritic knees. Pass. I'll take Bruce Ellington.

Originally posted by nj9er:
I saw V Jax name come up on trading block and couldn't help but think to swap Crabtree and mid to late round pick. A 6'6" target is something Kap has been missing. I know V Jax is a little up there on age but face it Crabtree is hurt constantly, he probably won't resign, Stevie Johnson is emerging, V Jax has put up better numbers with lesser QBs over last 1.5 seasons. Also if I'm not mistaken we were interested in him when he was a FA. Not sure what V Jax contract number are but it's probably less than what Crabs thinks he'll get in FA.

I wonder why people won't let go of this idea that Crabtree wants this big contract. Is there a deal on the table? Knowing Trent Baalke, it's likely. If Crabtree chooses not to sign it so he can potentially earn more, that's his prerogative. Is it any different than Jim Harbaugh wanting more money? Fans need to lay off the diva thing.

Now unlike Harbaugh, I don't think Crabtree is likely to get that bigger deal. But regardless of how average he's been this season, he's still a decent receiver. I would not consider trading Jackson, who could probably be had for a mid round pick alone, a fair trade IF you were to throw Crabtree in as well. It won't happen because Michael Crabtree is set to be a free agent anyway. If he had a year or two left on his deal, then I'd consider the trade for no more than a 6th round pick and Crabtree in exchange for Jackson. Since it won't, it's likely we just let Crabtree walk if he wants more than 6 million a year, and take a 3rd to 5th round comp pick for him in 2015. There are receivers to be had in the draft and if the Jackson rumors are true, I think it would be worth it to clear to cap room and bring him aboard. It's certainly much cheaper than it would cost us in draft picks to move up and try to draft a receiver with his potential in 2015. Also, this is only if we have Jackson until 2016 at the minimum.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wonder why people won't let go of this idea that Crabtree wants this big contract. Is there a deal on the table? Knowing Trent Baalke, it's likely. If Crabtree chooses not to sign it so he can potentially earn more, that's his prerogative. Is it any different than Jim Harbaugh wanting more money? Fans need to lay off the diva thing.

Now unlike Harbaugh, I don't think Crabtree is likely to get that bigger deal. But regardless of how average he's been this season, he's still a decent receiver. I would not consider trading Jackson, who could probably be had for a mid round pick alone, a fair trade IF you were to throw Crabtree in as well. It won't happen because Michael Crabtree is set to be a free agent anyway. If he had a year or two left on his deal, then I'd consider the trade for no more than a 6th round pick and Crabtree in exchange for Jackson. Since it won't, it's likely we just let Crabtree walk if he wants more than 6 million a year, and take a 3rd to 5th round comp pick for him in 2015. There are receivers to be had in the draft and if the Jackson rumors are true, I think it would be worth it to clear to cap room and bring him aboard. It's certainly much cheaper than it would cost us in draft picks to move up and try to draft a receiver with his potential in 2015. Also, this is only if we have Jackson until 2016 at the minimum.

For no other reason than they refuse to get over a holdout that happened over five years ago.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

For no other reason than they refuse to get over a holdout that happened over five years ago.
I for one have no problem with Crabs holdout,I have seen enough of His LIMITATIONS and it's TIME to MOVE ON....PERIOD!
100+ pages for a mediocre receiver
How can anyone argue that he has performed to the level that his draft number warranted? Bottom line is he hasn't earned the trust of his coaches or his QB, or he would have a helluva lot more targets. He has not performed as a number 1, has a history of injuries that supposedly have hampered his performance, and contrary to what another poster claimed, has not evidenced those other-worldly hands that Harbaugh has gushed about. Lloyd has shown far better grabs than Crabtree. I'd rather the combo of Boldin, Johnson and Lloyd any day. Lloyd at his advanced age has shown more ability to get open, at least equal if not better speed, and yes, better hands. Why anyone is still enamored of Crabtree is a mystery. Let's develop our existing core of younger guys, or draft a big, fast guy to complement this group and say sayonara to Crabtree at what he would likely cost.
Share 49ersWebzone