Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by titan:
I agree. But our trouble with Crabs is he really thinks he is that awesome. He held out before I'm sure he would jump all over free agency.

That was four years ago, let it go. Since the day he signed his contact (with a losing joke of a franchise) til now he had not shown any behavior to suggest that he's a problem. Always seems very humble.

We're lucky we got him. No other WRs were wanting to come here during those times... coaching, owners, QB, etc were pretty laughable (at best).

We are very lucky. Good skilled WR's don't come along often. There are plenty of fast guys, big guys, athletic guys, but there are not that many SKILLED WR's in the league.
Crabtree can make tough catches, get open, block, run after the catch, about as well as anyone.
Hope he comes back strong and ready for playoffs
Crabtree is an elite talent I hope he can play up to his abilities in time for the playoffs. With him back it pushes everyone down the depth chart which will do wonders for the offense.
i think crabs has the injury history bringing his value down, but the dire need for receivers going for him. its gonna be interesting how they handle this. I hope they bring him back but not at some ridiculous rate. we need better scouting for WRs and a shift in philosophy of drafting little guys. our division has huge corners and they are extremely physical. we need big bodied receivers with good hands and an aggressive attitude. we definitely need to draft a couple receivers in this draft and not the bargain bin type we have been drafting. we have plenty of picks. go get a homerun prospect not a wait and see wide receiver
but we don't need him, remember? we have boldin
Crabtree reminds me of a faster Boldin, the injury sucks because it is gonna probably be next year before he is 100%.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Crabtree reminds me of a faster Boldin, the injury sucks because it is gonna probably be next year before he is 100%.

People keep trying to compare Crabtree and Boldin because they are not fast, but they are completely different receivers. Boldin absolutely fights off 1 or 2 defenders for the ball and is the size of a TE. Crabs can make the tough catch, has a larger catching radius, and is has great YAC. Both are great at what they do but are different.

The only similarity is neither had a catch longer than 49 yards.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

People keep trying to compare Crabtree and Boldin because they are not fast, but they are completely different receivers. Boldin absolutely fights off 1 or 2 defenders for the ball and is the size of a TE. Crabs can make the tough catch, has a larger catching radius, and is has great YAC. Both are great at what they do but are different.

Both are tough, both have very good hands, both can make the tough catch in traffic the only real differences between the two are speed. Boldin would be a very small tight end, he is only 6' 1" and 223 pounds, he just plays tough like one. He and Crabtree are the same height and Crabs is 9 pounds lighter. They are more alike than dissimilar. The main difference is Crabtree has better football speed, he really isn't slow like most try and make him out to be. His 40 times were clocked when he was still injured.

Both are tough, both have very good hands, both can make the tough catch in traffic the only real differences between the two are speed. Boldin would be a very small tight end, he is only 6' 1" and 223 pounds, he just plays tough like one. He and Crabtree are the same height and Crabs is 9 pounds lighter. They are more alike than dissimilar. The main difference is Crabtree has better football speed, he really isn't slow like most try and make him out to be. His 40 times were clocked when he was still injured.
and boldin would beat his ass in a fist fight lol
I am hoping we can sign Crabtree to around $8 or 9 million per max. Thing is can we afford him and is that a priority for our front office. As a fan it sure seems that he and Kap had something going that is hard to replace but of course Boldin has established great rapport with Kap as well and might be had on a 2 year $11 million deal or something like that. I just know that we either need to resign proven vets or draft some playmakers because starting KW and or Marlon Moore at WR sucks
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM ]
I agree with the previous point mentioned earlier that with Crab's injury history he is not going to get Dez Bryant or Julio Jones or Megatron kind of money. If the FO can get him for maybe 75-80% of what he is asking for and the fact that the 49er's are being built to be a playoff bound team for many years to come...it makes you think, does he want the $$$ or good $$$ and a chance to win a ring?

crabtree has chris carter type hands, very rare to see a reciever attack the ball with his hands like he does, its like glue and i almost never see him drop a catch.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

and boldin would beat his ass in a fist fight lol

Werd.
Originally posted by YungAce:
but we don't need him, remember? we have boldin

Boldin has done his job. We just underestimated how poor the rest of the group was. Although I never at any point felt we didn't need Crabtree.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think we had better see what he looks like when he comes back, if he comes back, before we start to write out any checks. maybe we will be able to transfer some of the aldon smith dollars from his account to the account of crabs. i guess the only good news with those two, is that they should not be in any spot to demand the moon and stars. maybe we can find a way to keep ck, smith and crabs.before aldons removal from the team to rehab, i did not think that would be possible
ditto cc.

This has already been beaten to death and the best answer given by AB81, who says if we can't sign him, tag him for a yr, two yrs. Remember, we have gotten exactly one, ONE , yr of service out of crbs in 3yrs and 1/4 season. That is a red flag no matter who you are. First yr he sat out, didn't learn the playbook until the end of yr 2. Then we get on big yr..almost and he is gone still. That is not exactly how I would want to spend my big bucks, even if I had any. I would want a much bigger body of work, and crabs has yet to produce that. Once he can consistently play well, put 2, 3 seasons together, then....I would consider paying him. But now, just read AB81 at start of this article. AB settled it for me. And cc is spot on.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone