There are 646 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by niners9ers:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m
WR Jon Baldwin wearing a scout-team jersey, so maybe #49ers aren't ready to have him debut in favor of Moore or Patton



WOMP WOMP

We need WRs who can gain separation and catch the ball. Baldwin does neither very well so who cares about him.

Sit KW. Play Patton and Moore.


It is not just about separation. Baldwin has the size to bang the DBs and linebackers even when covered. We saw it in the preseason, he has the ability to make catches even when he is covered especially when the ball is thrown high.

The way I look at it is this, he might not be a burner, but he can play the intermediate routes with Anquan. Once the opposing D realizes the kid has the physicality to make plays even when covered, they will have to allocate appropriate resources to cover him which in the overall scheme of things will dilute the overall coverage on both Anquan and himself. If we can get the intermediate passing plays going, then we can utilize our speed guys such as Marlon and Quinton to stretch the D by making some deep plays. That will spread out the D a bit and will help to ease the run game as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,045
Originally posted by Rascal:
It is not just about separation. Baldwin has the size to bang the DBs and linebackers even when covered. We saw it in the preseason, he has the ability to make catches even when he is covered especially when the ball is thrown high.

The way I look at it is this, he might not be a burner, but he can play the intermediate routes with Anquan. Once the opposing D realizes the kid has the physicality to make plays even when covered, they will have to allocate appropriate resources to cover him which in the overall scheme of things will dilute the overall coverage on both Anquan and himself. If we can get the intermediate passing plays going, then we can utilize our speed guys such as Marlon and Quinton to stretch the D by making some deep plays. That will spread out the D a bit and will help to ease the run game as well.

I will not deny that with Baldwin the potential is there. My major concern with him remains his attitude or his head.

First, since he has arrived in SF, he seems to be demonstrating that he in the progress of resolving the head problems that haunted him in college and with the KC.
But, truth be told we really have not seen very much, so it is hard to know exactly how he is progressing.

Given the fact that Andy Reid, who is a patient man with divas, was willing to trade Baldwin with his potential straight up for AJ Jenkins worries me.
In real football games, regular season games, Baldwin had shown much more than Jenkins. Baldwin has clearly demonstrated some talent.

My hope is that Baldwin is activated and gets to play. I do think he could be an improvement, talent wise, over Moore and Williams.

If he is activated, it would be, at least to me, a clear indication that he has made substantial strides in confronting the problems that got him run out of KC.

Eric Wright had two DUI in two years. The team signed him and he literally disappeared for about a month, maybe a bit more.
When he showed up, he was put on one of those lists.

Aldon Smith had two DUIs and other and potentially more serious problems.
The team put him on indefinite leave of absence. I believe that he is on the same list as Wright.

Cox was out of the league for a year because of legal problems. The team signed him, but his role was small last year. This year his role has expanded.

My sense is the team is willing to take chances on players who have problems, but they are cautious in their approach, you could even say they are timid.

In my gut, I want Baldwin on the field, but I want him to make the corrections that need to be made. In the long run, those corrections are critical.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
Lol Jim says he has a chance....won't dress
Originally posted by buck:
I will not deny that with Baldwin the potential is there. My major concern with him remains his attitude or his head.

First, since he has arrived in SF, he seems to be demonstrating that he in the progress of resolving the head problems that haunted him in college and with the KC.
But, truth be told we really have not seen very much, so it is hard to know exactly how he is progressing.

Given the fact that Andy Reid, who is a patient man with divas, was willing to trade Baldwin with his potential straight up for AJ Jenkins worries me.
In real football games, regular season games, Baldwin had shown much more than Jenkins. Baldwin has clearly demonstrated some talent.

My hope is that Baldwin is activated and gets to play. I do think he could be an improvement, talent wise, over Moore and Williams.

If he is activated, it would be, at least to me, a clear indication that he has made substantial strides in confronting the problems that got him run out of KC.

Eric Wright had two DUI in two years. The team signed him and he literally disappeared for about a month, maybe a bit more.
When he showed up, he was put on one of those lists.

Aldon Smith had two DUIs and other and potentially more serious problems.
The team put him on indefinite leave of absence. I believe that he is on the same list as Wright.

Cox was out of the league for a year because of legal problems. The team signed him, but his role was small last year. This year his role has expanded.

My sense is the team is willing to take chances on players who have problems, but they are cautious in their approach, you could even say they are timid.

In my gut, I want Baldwin on the field, but I want him to make the corrections that need to be made. In the long run, those corrections are critical.


You have lost me, I read a fair number of media articles on the 9ers, I am yet to come across that attitude problem you are referring to ever since he joined the 9ers. If I have missed out any info on this issue, please feel free to furnish me with the details.

As far as I am concerned, not until it happens it is a non-issue. If it does happen, I am sure Harbaugh will apply the appropriate punishment accordingly.

America is the land of second chances, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. Ahmad also smashed Divens with a beer bottle too, I am sure if something similar happens again, he will also be punished.

What is more important right now is to find out whether Baldwin has the stuff to help us. We are in a tough situation right now and we can do with all the help we can summon. Like you, I am hoping and praying he can add another dimension to our offense and hopefully he can help us to restart our offensive engine.

Quite frankly, even if Baldwin turns out to be fairly decent, I still don't think is enough. I just hope Baalke is in the process of identifying more legit WRs cos there is no way we can afford to wait until Mario comes back.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,045
Originally posted by Rascal:


You have lost me, I read a fair number of media articles on the 9ers, I am yet to come across that attitude problem you are referring to ever since he joined the 9ers. If I have missed out any info on this issue, please feel free to furnish me with the details.

As far as I am concerned, not until it happens it is a non-issue. If it does happen, I am sure Harbaugh will apply the appropriate punishment accordingly.

America is the land of second chances, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. Ahmad also smashed Divens with a beer bottle too, I am sure if something similar happens again, he will also be punished.

What is more important right now is to find out whether Baldwin has the stuff to help us. We are in a tough situation right now and we can do with all the help we can summon. Like you, I am hoping and praying he can add another dimension to our offense and hopefully he can help us to restart our offensive engine.

Quite frankly, even if Baldwin turns out to be fairly decent, I still don't think is enough. I just hope Baalke is in the process of identifying more legit WRs cos there is no way we can afford to wait until Mario comes back.

Try this again. I stated.

First, since he has arrived in SF, he seems to be demonstrating that he in the progress of resolving the head problems that haunted him in college and with the KC.

Then I continued.

But, truth be told we really have not seen very much, so it is hard to know exactly how he is progressing.

At no point did I state or imply that Baldwin has had problems with anybody or done anything wrong since his arrival in SF.
Since, I never said that or implied that, I am not sure why you are asking me for details.

I agree that Baldwin should be given a second chance. The fact is he is getting a second chance. The team is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

In this scenario, the only person that I can see that could even be logically accused of not giving Baldwin the benefit of the doubt or a second chance is Andy Reid. Andy Reid seems to have given up on Baldwin relatively fast.

Harbaugh and Baalke are doing exactly what you say should be done in terms of giving Baldwin the benefit of the doubt.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM ]
Could we be interested in WR Josh Gordon from Cleveland? The Browns are in talks with a few teams and we seem to have an open line of communication with Michael Lombardi and lord knows we've got the draft picks to swing a deal. The dude had 50 catches and has great size. Plus with his recent off the field DUI he seems to fit with us! Lol!

http://fansided.com/2013/09/24/detroit-lions-talked-josh-gordon-trade-cleveland-browns/
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Could we be interested in WR Josh Gordon from Cleveland? The Browns are in talks with a few teams and we seem to have an open line of communication with Michael Lombardi and lord knows we've got the draft picks to swing a deal. The dude had 50 catches and has great size. Plus with his recent off the field DUI he seems to fit with us! Lol!

http://fansided.com/2013/09/24/detroit-lions-talked-josh-gordon-trade-cleveland-browns/

The dude is a baller in the mold of TO with probably the same baggage, if not worse. But if I was in charge I'd definitely give them at least a 2nd rounder for him straight up.
Was a bit skeptical of seeing Baldwin on the field this week. Doesn't make sense to put in a new guy on a short week that hasn't had a full TC with the team like Baldwin. Maybe in a few more weeks but not this week I don't think.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Was a bit skeptical of seeing Baldwin on the field this week. Doesn't make sense to put in a new guy on a short week that hasn't had a full TC with the team like Baldwin. Maybe in a few more weeks but not this week I don't think.

Good point! But they may have worked on a RZ play or two...I hope!
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Could we be interested in WR Josh Gordon from Cleveland? The Browns are in talks with a few teams and we seem to have an open line of communication with Michael Lombardi and lord knows we've got the draft picks to swing a deal. The dude had 50 catches and has great size. Plus with his recent off the field DUI he seems to fit with us! Lol!

http://fansided.com/2013/09/24/detroit-lions-talked-josh-gordon-trade-cleveland-browns/

The dude is a baller in the mold of TO with probably the same baggage, if not worse. But if I was in charge I'd definitely give them at least a 2nd rounder for him straight up.


I don't know much about the dude, but based on what I've heard and see, it seems he is a big playmaker type guy. At this point, I am not too concerned about his off-the-field issues, we really just need some decent receivers that can get our offense going again.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,055
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
The dude is a baller in the mold of TO with probably the same baggage, if not worse. But if I was in charge I'd definitely give them at least a 2nd rounder for him straight up.


2nd rounder?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
The dude is a baller in the mold of TO with probably the same baggage, if not worse. But if I was in charge I'd definitely give them at least a 2nd rounder for him straight up.


2nd rounder?


That's pretty expensive. But, in the situation that we are in, we probably don't have much of a choice. We can't wait until Mario and Crab to come back, by then it will be too late. Even if Mario can come back by week 7, it will probably take him a couple of games to get back to some sort of form.
I don't understand the perception that Baldwin doesn't have any speed. He's a 4.4 guy like Patton. At 6-4 230, he ran a 4.49. Patton ran 4.48 at 6-0 205.

Baldwin may not be as quick, but he has very good speed, especially for his size and his leaping ability and long arms increase his catch radius greater than perhaps any other active receiver we have right now.
Yeah a 2nd could be a little expensive but we have several third round selections and perhaps a seventh to make it happen if that's what they are looking for.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,055
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
The dude is a baller in the mold of TO with probably the same baggage, if not worse. But if I was in charge I'd definitely give them at least a 2nd rounder for him straight up.


2nd rounder?


That's pretty expensive. But, in the situation that we are in, we probably don't have much of a choice. We can't wait until Mario and Crab to come back, by then it will be too late. Even if Mario can come back by week 7, it will probably take him a couple of games to get back to some sort of form.


Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Yeah a 2nd could be a little expensive but we have several third round selections and perhaps a seventh to make it happen if that's what they are looking for.

Is he even a starter? A second rounder is more for a starter or elite players.