There are 272 users in the forums

Receivers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Our WR core is better than it was last year for the most part.

Boldin is a better WR than Crabtree (for now)
Williams is Williams
Patton and Moore are both better than anyone not named Crabtree or Manningham last year.

When Manningham and Crabtree get back we're going to have one of the best WR cores in the NFL. But we're still = or better to what we were last year and the year before.

It's not the WRs. We just need to get back to what we do, run the rock and then burn teams with the pass when they cheat up.

I agree, it is not the WR's. We are running a lot of shotgun and are getting very predictable. Colin needs to step it up a notch and make the correct reads. There were a couple of open looks but dude looks too unsure of himself right now.

We aren't even running the read-option no more. Teams are defending it well by loading that side so why not run a read option counter type of play?

Q has 2 working ankles so yes he is a better receiver than Crabtree right now. Moore has been invisible and he has no real history of production, he was a ST player at Miami.

Our WR core is NOT better than last season. Despite Moss taking a lot of plays off, he stretched the field and forced teams to account for him, opening up Crabs and MM. He could beat the man and press coverage and he could go deep.By your logic

Boldin = Crabtree
Manningham > Patton/Moore

However you forget DW played almost like a wide receiver on a lot of deep routes and Moss forced defenses to account for him. That's what people are missing is that DW and Moss could stretch the field and get open and therefore needed to be covered.

Both could make plays (well DW caught ~50% of passes thrown his way) and we are missing that. KW is not a deep threat if he can't beat the press, Boldin is slow and will be double teamed or against the best CB. We're lacking options and we're not being helped by the play calling, and to be fair it's the coaches where I lay most blame.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Pretty much everyone we have cut, traded or whatever are active and playing for other teams such as Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean-Francois and even AJ Jenkins !! The fans are going to lose their patience with Harbaugh and Roman very soon. The next game is already the 4th game, if they don't play Baldwin, he will end up like Jacobs, may be just a cameo appearance in a couple of games at the end of the season and that will be it. How the heck can you evaluate a player properly without proper game time ?! Practice doesn't say jack !!

RJF was a FA, Ginn a FA, Jenkins has caught how many passes? None of them were cornerstones of our offense/defense. So please! Let's be realistic and say injuries have impacted the defense and offense. Will the WRs be OK? Yes, they are now playing with Boldin and back ups, and last game no VD. It's not surprising they struggled.

Another way to look at this week is--should the team play better against a west rival on Thursday or an AFC team Sunday?

If they lose Thursday it will be two losses against the west and an uphill road from there. Harbaugh may need to go back to baby steps with CK for a game or two to bolster his confidence.

I think you are missing my point. My point is we never utilize our players. There is absolutely no reason whatsover we still haven't played Baldwin. If he still doesn't play this Thursday, he will end up like another Brandon Jacobs.
Rascal I agree with you on most all points regarding our WR's. Its down right embarrassing. Baldwin blows though and while he can't be any worse than Williams at #2 I don't think he'll be any better either. We are serious trouble. Sick of seeing the gloating Seahawks fans on every article about the 49ers. The only peace I get from reading all that is that they are all throwing the word "karma" around as if it will not turn around and bite them as well. Karma is a straight up beeootch and if its biting the 49ers now it will sue as hell punch the Seahawks ticket as well for as often as they are throwing it around.
Kyle Williams is a scrub and still sucks. Why anyone here ever thought he was a viable receiving option is beyond me.
Originally posted by niners9:
Why not give Baldwin a shot?

unlike us posters the coaches see these guys every day in practice...maybe baldwin just hasnt played as well as the other guys who are suiting up
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by niners9:
Why not give Baldwin a shot?

unlike us posters the coaches see these guys every day in practice...maybe baldwin just hasnt played as well as the other guys who are suiting up

It's hard not to call for him to get a chance when guys like Marlon Moore have done absolutely nothing. How many catches does he have? He has 1. For 6 yards. I have to believe Baldwin at the very least could match that... In less than three games. After that kind of start, you'd think the coaches would as least consider giving him a chance with some snaps.
i think they have to activate baldwin this week or they will be crucified by all the media and fans. their receivers are not working, they traded for him, use the man. he may not know the whole offense but rotate him in for a few plays. cant be any worse than kyle and moore dicking around out there not doin s**t, atleast baldwin is huge and he can block for gore. try to sign hawkins, he had nfl experience and was actually the best looking receiver besides patton, out of everyone we tried out in the preseason as a return man and a receiver. or trade for the browns dude. they need help now!!! this team is too talented and the salary kap situation wont be the same next year so many players will either get cut, leave as FAs or traded off for 7th rounders next season. if we are going to go for a championship this is the year to make the push. we have injuries now but they will come back and were only 1-2. get it together and start winning games
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think they have to activate baldwin this week or they will be crucified by all the media and fans. their receivers are not working, they traded for him, use the man. he may not know the whole offense but rotate him in for a few plays. cant be any worse than kyle and moore dicking around out there not doin s**t, atleast baldwin is huge and he can block for gore. try to sign hawkins, he had nfl experience and was actually the best looking receiver besides patton, out of everyone we tried out in the preseason as a return man and a receiver. or trade for the browns dude. they need help now!!! this team is too talented and the salary kap situation wont be the same next year so many players will either get cut, leave as FAs or traded off for 7th rounders next season. if we are going to go for a championship this is the year to make the push. we have injuries now but they will come back and were only 1-2. get it together and start winning games

If AJ Jenkins can already be playing for and getting passes thrown his way for the Chiefs, then Baldwin can certainly contribute SOMETHING for us, even if it's nothing more than being a big, physical blocker in the run game.
Hawkins was playing against 4th stringers, he has had like 5 different tryouts with other team an no one has signed him. He is trying out again for Detroit today. Activate one of the guys who has actually been practing with us and knows the play book which i find it hard to believe Baldwin does. Considering there have been multiple articles and reports that it is to thick for the guys who have been there for years. I would love to see Bald, but if he doesnt know what the hell hes doing then he cant be on the field.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Hawkins was playing against 4th stringers, he has had like 5 different tryouts with other team an no one has signed him. He is trying out again for Detroit today. Activate one of the guys who has actually been practing with us and knows the play book which i find it hard to believe Baldwin does. Considering there have been multiple articles and reports that it is to thick for the guys who have been there for years. I would love to see Bald, but if he doesnt know what the hell hes doing then he cant be on the field.

ask yourself this, how much would it hurt? and you know he has more speed than any of our receivers. its not like kyle and moore are some great receivers and it would be an insult to start anyone else. they have baldwin and they dont play him, they signed harper and dont play him, the have patton and never throw to him.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Harbaugh on WR Jon Baldwin possibly joining the offense: "That's possible. He's doing a good job."
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Harbaugh on WR Jon Baldwin possibly joining the offense: "That's possible. He's doing a good job."

Great, in Harbaugh vernacular that means we're about to trade him for a ST ace or a 7th round pick
Originally posted by Jcool:

"Good" is a rather underwhelming adjective in Harbaugh-speak.
Well after putting Aldon on the non injured reserve list we have a roster spot available.

That might go to an OLB.

But I would like to see it go to Collie or Hawkins. Actually, I'd like to see us sign both, and cut Osgood.
i read that the browns wanted to trade josh gordon and or greg little

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783119-3-teams-guaranteed-to-have-an-interest-in-trading-for-browns-wr-josh-gordon
[ Edited by Rocket4989 on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone