There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers

Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Our wrs suck, nuff said. We got the worst group in our division, it tells you right off the bat when our #2 right now is Kyle freaking Williams. I don't know wtf this staff is thinking not activating Baldwin instead they activate a fullback we just signed last week.


Our receiving corps have been the pits for years. Baalke just doesn't place any importance on WRs and even if and when he does he doesn't know how to evaluate and select wideouts. That is why we have ended up where we have ended up.

As for Kyle, I am sorry to say we have given him enough chances. He is a below par WR and a zero contributor on KR. When you are in the business of constantly having to improve the team, you have to be able to make tough decisions, so yes he has to go to make room for others.

Not playing Baldwin is yet another typical 49ers coaching fxxk-up. They just love not to utilize players, just look at how they fxxked up Brandon Jacobs, what a waste !! We have to activate Baldwin in the next game and see what he can bring. Frankly, we don't have a choice, we don't have anyone else. At this rate, don't be shocked we might even need to promote Chuck Jacobs to the 53 at some point if we don't bring in someone better quick. Yes, that is how sad it is.

I don't see this happening.....this coaching staff is hard headed and insist that the WR's already active are good enough. Their excuse is gonna be "we just need to execute better".


Pretty much everyone we have cut, traded or whatever are active and playing for other teams such as Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean-Francois and even AJ Jenkins !! The fans are going to lose their patience with Harbaugh and Roman very soon. The next game is already the 4th game, if they don't play Baldwin, he will end up like Jacobs, may be just a cameo appearance in a couple of games at the end of the season and that will be it. How the heck can you evaluate a player properly without proper game time ?! Practice doesn't say jack !!
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 754
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
There's nothing wrong with our receivers. We may not have a spectacular bunch of guys after Boldin, but they are decent. QB just has to find the open man and give him a chance by throwing a halfway decent pass. Oh, how things have suddenly changed around here.


I find this a really strange and supercilious post. I know the comments to which you are referring though the reason for doing so seems obliquely perverse. Allow me to puncture some of the cloud for you and maybe stop yet another QB argument which seems to forment in a number of posts at the moment:

1) This WR group is compeltely different to that in the first half of last season where we had Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and williams. The first three were routinely open. We have a different core this time where we are relying on Boldin, Moore, Williams and Patton.
Boldin does not have Moss' ability to get open and is currently recognised as our main receiving threat, hence he is double covered and rarely open. The Defenses are not worried about any other receiver. Moore was a ST player at Miaimi and rarely saw the field in a receiving capacity. Williams is not an NFL calibre WR. Patton is a rookie still learning the game.

2) Why on earth would you want to drag past history up? There seems to be a huge element of schadenfreude amongst some posters in this thread who are taking a perverse joy in the teams struggles. I support whoever is on the field for us but I will point out where I think we can improve. What does that say about your psyche that you would rather drag up the past and "punish" people who you disagreed with in some thinly veiled attempt at "I told you so" rather than getting behind the team? I think you should maybe have a period of reflection on what you really want or hope to gain from these comments and what possible benefit it is to anyone going forward, including yourself.

Now that aside, I think TheFunkychicken is actually right in his approach and here is why:

Moore has been invisible to me, and he barely played in the pre-season games. He was described as a lock by the coaching staff having been primarily a previous ST player only at Miami. Williams just does not have an ability to get open and he should have caught at least one pass from Kap last night for a 3rd down - it was a hard pass but it hit him in the hands.

Now Baldwin at least is a mismatch problem with his size and so he should be activated. Him and Patton should be on the filed as often as possible now behind Boldin. If we are going to struggle on offense with veterans like Moore and Williams making no contribution then we'd be better struggling with Patton and Baldwin and letting them gain experience and develop.

Collie has a proven histroy of production. Hawkins made plays and it was noticeable. I would rather have Collie to help out our receivers and Kap though would prefer both. We kept the wrong people at the cut.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,510
Why is Williams starting and Baldwin not even active? Williams should be strictly a punt returner and special teams player.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM ]
I really wanted Cordarelle Patterson and/or DeAndre Hopkins in the draft -- just saying.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I really wanted Cordarelle Patterson and/or DeAndre Hopkins in the draft -- just saying.


I feel you man.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I find this a really strange and supercilious post


You are assuming way too much... saying a whole lot while really saying nothing at all.

There is simply no excuse that can be thrown out that can justify what was seen yesterday. You think I LIKE that Kaep is playing the way he is lately? You think this gives me perverse pleasure? That is straight BS. I love this damn team and take offense to your assumptions. It genuinely hurts me to see this team play like this. I was the one asking people yesterday to can the crap that you are alluding to.

Now all that said, I have quickly broken down the issues in this game once by watching, and now am going back to document. I can easily say that all of these excuses are garbage, save for an occasional play.

This is about getting it RIGHT in order to see what our team can do to start winning again. This is not about some childish vendetta.
Time to pick up the phone and give Austin Collie another chance in the slot.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Pretty much everyone we have cut, traded or whatever are active and playing for other teams such as Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean-Francois and even AJ Jenkins !! The fans are going to lose their patience with Harbaugh and Roman very soon. The next game is already the 4th game, if they don't play Baldwin, he will end up like Jacobs, may be just a cameo appearance in a couple of games at the end of the season and that will be it. How the heck can you evaluate a player properly without proper game time ?! Practice doesn't say jack !!

RJF was a FA, Ginn a FA, Jenkins has caught how many passes? None of them were cornerstones of our offense/defense. So please! Let's be realistic and say injuries have impacted the defense and offense. Will the WRs be OK? Yes, they are now playing with Boldin and back ups, and last game no VD. It's not surprising they struggled.

Another way to look at this week is--should the team play better against a west rival on Thursday or an AFC team Sunday?

If they lose Thursday it will be two losses against the west and an uphill road from there. Harbaugh may need to go back to baby steps with CK for a game or two to bolster his confidence.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Why is Williams starting and Baldwin not even active? Williams should be strictly a punt returner and special teams player.

I agree. Baldwin was a starter in KC. Even if he doesn't start, activate him and give him some plays just to see. We can't afford to roll the dice on these games until we get Crabs and Manningham back. We don't even know what kind of impact they will have right off the bat.
We need someone that can stretch the field. I know a good solution. Trade for Josh Gordon. I don't care that he's one f**k up away from being suspended for a year. At this point it is very much worth the risk.


The receivers haven't been helping, but Kap also has been playing very s**tty. He's been playing like a p***y. I think we'll get our act together, but right now everyone is playing like a bunch of pussies, except for Gore.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I find this a really strange and supercilious post. I know the comments to which you are referring though the reason for doing so seems obliquely perverse. Allow me to puncture some of the cloud for you and maybe stop yet another QB argument which seems to forment in a number of posts at the moment:

1) This WR group is compeltely different to that in the first half of last season where we had Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and williams. The first three were routinely open. We have a different core this time where we are relying on Boldin, Moore, Williams and Patton.
Boldin does not have Moss' ability to get open and is currently recognised as our main receiving threat, hence he is double covered and rarely open. The Defenses are not worried about any other receiver. Moore was a ST player at Miaimi and rarely saw the field in a receiving capacity. Williams is not an NFL calibre WR. Patton is a rookie still learning the game.

2) Why on earth would you want to drag past history up? There seems to be a huge element of schadenfreude amongst some posters in this thread who are taking a perverse joy in the teams struggles. I support whoever is on the field for us but I will point out where I think we can improve. What does that say about your psyche that you would rather drag up the past and "punish" people who you disagreed with in some thinly veiled attempt at "I told you so" rather than getting behind the team? I think you should maybe have a period of reflection on what you really want or hope to gain from these comments and what possible benefit it is to anyone going forward, including yourself.

Now that aside, I think TheFunkychicken is actually right in his approach and here is why:

Moore has been invisible to me, and he barely played in the pre-season games. He was described as a lock by the coaching staff having been primarily a previous ST player only at Miami. Williams just does not have an ability to get open and he should have caught at least one pass from Kap last night for a 3rd down - it was a hard pass but it hit him in the hands.

Now Baldwin at least is a mismatch problem with his size and so he should be activated. Him and Patton should be on the filed as often as possible now behind Boldin. If we are going to struggle on offense with veterans like Moore and Williams making no contribution then we'd be better struggling with Patton and Baldwin and letting them gain experience and develop.

Collie has a proven histroy of production. Hawkins made plays and it was noticeable. I would rather have Collie to help out our receivers and Kap though would prefer both. We kept the wrong people at the cut.

Or maybe the coaches made some bad decisions way before the cut. Whether it was in the draft or in trades. This team is not the same and I'm sure some of the moves that have been decided on had to be choices to make the team better, right?

I know I've been telling everyone we're going to be explosive, high powered, high scoring, and whatever words you want to use that describes a very good offense. I said all this because I felt that Kap was the answer. I was excited after week 1 and after these last 2 weeks I am left questioning a lot of things now. Alex never really had any WRs and we were winning with him, he's 3 - 0 in KC and I doubted he could be successful without Harbaugh. I thought Kap's instant success was because he was just the better QB but now I'm starting to see what a lot of the others were skeptical about. Especially my little brother. He cried yesterday and I cried with him. That's how bad we both wanted this team to win. I wanted them to win because I thought I was right the whole time with the Kap move and he thought it was the wrong move. It was more because of all the crap that I talked and wanted to back it up more than actually being a fan of the TEAM. We want to be right, but now I just want to make things right and apologize to him and root for the 49ers instead of rooting for me being right about the QB.
Originally posted by webslinger9er:
Or maybe the coaches made some bad decisions way before the cut. Whether it was in the draft or in trades. This team is not the same and I'm sure some of the moves that have been decided on had to be choices to make the team better, right?

I know I've been telling everyone we're going to be explosive, high powered, high scoring, and whatever words you want to use that describes a very good offense. I said all this because I felt that Kap was the answer. I was excited after week 1 and after these last 2 weeks I am left questioning a lot of things now. Alex never really had any WRs and we were winning with him, he's 3 - 0 in KC and I doubted he could be successful without Harbaugh. I thought Kap's instant success was because he was just the better QB but now I'm starting to see what a lot of the others were skeptical about. Especially my little brother. He cried yesterday and I cried with him. That's how bad we both wanted this team to win. I wanted them to win because I thought I was right the whole time with the Kap move and he thought it was the wrong move. It was more because of all the crap that I talked and wanted to back it up more than actually being a fan of the TEAM. We want to be right, but now I just want to make things right and apologize to him and root for the 49ers instead of rooting for me being right about the QB.

Honest stuff, man... good on you.
Our WR core is better than it was last year for the most part.

Boldin is a better WR than Crabtree (for now)
Williams is Williams
Patton and Moore are both better than anyone not named Crabtree or Manningham last year.

When Manningham and Crabtree get back we're going to have one of the best WR cores in the NFL. But we're still = or better to what we were last year and the year before.

It's not the WRs. We just need to get back to what we do, run the rock and then burn teams with the pass when they cheat up.
Why not give Baldwin a shot?
WRs are not the biggest problem, Roman and his "long ball" game plans are to blame. This team is better built for WCO, we don't have the WRs to go down field. Get Kaep under center asap, at the very least is will open up the play action pass. Also, I still can't believe Roman gives up on the run so fast, you would think he learned a lesson from the superbowl.