There are 185 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Discipline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue. You know who kept his cool and looked real good on the sidelines? Mike Nolan. And we all know how hard they played for Nolan - he really got them fired up didn't he.

Calm down everyone. The players love Harbaugh. They love him because he's one of them. He's just as into it as they are. They know he'd like to be out there banging heads with them if he could. You guys are looking for problems in the wrong places and you're completely over-reacting to two very emotional games that begin this season. The first game was one that came at the end of a couple weeks of serious smack talk from the Packers about how they were going to knock Kaepernick around. The second was the Seahawks at Clink, something that is never pretty and always very emotional.

Niner fans kill me. Some of you are just unbelievable. If you spent any time anywhere else in the country, some of you might begin to realize how ridiculous some of us are. Over the last two seasons, Harbaugh has the best winning percentage of any head coach in the NFL. In a sane world, fans wouldn't look at a coach like that and try to manufacture some reason to complain. Antics on the sideline? Give me a break. I'll take a fired-up coach who wins games and inspires players to play hard over a robot who dresses well and maintains his composure any day of the week.

I have nothing against a fired-up coach, however, when that coach's team is displaying the same kind of out-of-control behavior as their coach, I make a connection.

My background for saying this is 15 years of coaching soccer at a pretty high level. Teams that have behavior problems on the field almost always had a very loud, out-of-control coach on the sidelines. Conversely, when a coach was calm on the sideline, the team was almost always much more focused on the field. Take that for what its worth but I believe it plays a part in the fact this team is struggling to maintain composure and focus on the field, as witnessed by the many penalties.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue.

I do not think these "takes" are really strange.

Some posters do not like Harbaugh (or Baalke, or someone) and they jump on any and every chance to express their dislike.

I have come to the conclusions that there certain breeds of trolls that have a modicum of cleverness--enough to avoid the consequences of trolling.
The young man, Aldon, has real issues. He needs a severe wake-up call before someone gets really hurt.

As much as it would hurt, he should be suspended and put on a VERY strict test inspections for the rest of his career.

The only good thing out of this is he didn't hurt anyone else in the accident.

As far as JH & the FO - they should hire a mini-fleet of cars & drivers to be on call 24 hours a day.
Originally posted by dj43:
Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue. You know who kept his cool and looked real good on the sidelines? Mike Nolan. And we all know how hard they played for Nolan - he really got them fired up didn't he.

Calm down everyone. The players love Harbaugh. They love him because he's one of them. He's just as into it as they are. They know he'd like to be out there banging heads with them if he could. You guys are looking for problems in the wrong places and you're completely over-reacting to two very emotional games that begin this season. The first game was one that came at the end of a couple weeks of serious smack talk from the Packers about how they were going to knock Kaepernick around. The second was the Seahawks at Clink, something that is never pretty and always very emotional.

Niner fans kill me. Some of you are just unbelievable. If you spent any time anywhere else in the country, some of you might begin to realize how ridiculous some of us are. Over the last two seasons, Harbaugh has the best winning percentage of any head coach in the NFL. In a sane world, fans wouldn't look at a coach like that and try to manufacture some reason to complain. Antics on the sideline? Give me a break. I'll take a fired-up coach who wins games and inspires players to play hard over a robot who dresses well and maintains his composure any day of the week.

I have nothing against a fired-up coach, however, when that coach's team is displaying the same kind of out-of-control behavior as their coach, I make a connection.

My background for saying this is 15 years of coaching soccer at a pretty high level. Teams that have behavior problems on the field almost always had a very loud, out-of-control coach on the sidelines. Conversely, when a coach was calm on the sideline, the team was almost always much more focused on the field. Take that for what its worth but I believe it plays a part in the fact this team is struggling to maintain composure and focus on the field, as witnessed by the many penalties.

Come on, man. We've only played two games this season. And both games were very emotional and intense games. That naturally leads to more penalties. In Seattle, yes, I thought they should have maintained more composure, but don't forget that that stadium also set the record for loudest stadium that night which made things more difficult for the players. That's not to excuse their poor play, but we have to put things in perspective when looking at these first two games. It seems like every time the Niners lose or have a less than stellar game, we start seeing all the doomsdayers come out. The season is FAR from over, and there is a lot more football left to play. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 7-1 at the bye; then I'd like to see what people think of the coach at that time.
While I like the idea of Harbaugh sticking up for his players, there needs to also be a time where he chastises them when needed. Maybe they are not as cautious as they need to be because of his protection. I think Baalke needs to step up and suspend Aldon for 4 games starting this week. This organization is just attempting to once again become relevant and to be a model franchise and this CANNOT be tolerated. This proud franchise cannot allow a few knuckle heads to tarnish it's reputation because PLAYERS are REPLACEABLE! Hear that Aldon! Bro you need to seek some professional help and allow guys like Patrick and Justin to rub off on you. This is a special time in NINERLAND and you are fading fast my friend, get with it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by real9erfan:

Come on, man. We've only played two games this season. And both games were very emotional and intense games. That naturally leads to more penalties. In Seattle, yes, I thought they should have maintained more composure, but don't forget that that stadium also set the record for loudest stadium that night which made things more difficult for the players. That's not to excuse their poor play, but we have to put things in perspective when looking at these first two games. It seems like every time the Niners lose or have a less than stellar game, we start seeing all the doomsdayers come out. The season is FAR from over, and there is a lot more football left to play. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 7-1 at the bye; then I'd like to see what people think of the coach at that time.

If it were just these two games, you would not be hearing from me. My point is that we have been through two YEARS now of being among the league leaders in penalties and that trend is continuing again this year. So while that is the result of an overly emotional coach, or just one that cannot seem to get his players focused to quit committing fouls, it is still a coaching problem.
bring back sing as discipline coach!
Originally posted by real9erfan:

If it were just these two games, you would not be hearing from me. My point is that we have been through two YEARS now of being among the league leaders in penalties and that trend is continuing again this year. So while that is the result of an overly emotional coach, or just one that cannot seem to get his players focused to quit committing fouls, it is still a coaching problem.

We're also the team with one of the best regular season records over the last two years. I do agree that penalties need to be decreased, but when you play with such high intensity, it also sometimes results in more penalties. But we definitely should control the stupid penalties that hurt the team.
Where doe "high intensity = more penalties" come from?

Makes no sense. Undisclipined is undisclipined. You can be super intense but also be smart about the way you play.
Originally posted by kidash98:
None whatsoever and I honestly don't know why it was posted other than to incite.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wasn't any problems when we had a white qb without tattoos.

Bring back Alex right method

Does this, whatever it is, have any basis or any merit?

None whatsoever and I honestly don't know why it was posted other than to incite.

Let it go you guys...If the roles were reversed no one would even care. please no fascism on the board...that goes both ways.

There isn't anything juvenile about how Keap behaves, and that is the point. The issue is Aldon acts like a child. There is a lot of kids that come into the NFL like this and grow up, let's just hope Aldon is one of those.

I don't think penalties are the only indicators of discipline or lack thereof. The way a team executes a game plan, the way players communicate, players knowing their assignments, defensive players holding their positions, etc. all have to do with discipline. The 49ers excelled in all those areas last year, but were more penalized than most other teams. Seattle and San Francisco both averaged 6.7 penalties per game in 2012, and they were two of the best teams in the league at season's end. I do think the intensity with which they play the game sometimes leads to more penalties, in that they are pushing a lot harder, always playing to the very end of the play, being more physical than other teams, etc.
Originally posted by susweel:
fire Harbs bring back Sing. lol

get this nonsense out of here.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wasn't any problems when we had a white qb without tattoos.

Bring back Alex right method

Where the f*ck did you guys get that with Method's post?!?!?!?!?

It's a valid concern, IMO.

I think the problem is that this fanbase overreacts to everything (as it's famous for), we're tired of being called the 'whiners', and this type of thread after only week two proves such.

Seriously, I see more periods transgress here than in a f**king football game.

nice post! fully agree.
Some of you guys that brand anyone with a critical comment as "whiners" and constantly feel the need to defend anything and everything this team does at all costs are just as bad as the ones that are critical of everything the team does.

s**t isaint so black and white as some posters here on both spectrums believe it to be.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Some of you guys that brand anyone with a critical comment as "whiners" and constantly feel the need to defend anything and everything this team does at all costs are just as bad as the ones that are critical of everything the team does.

s**t isaint so black and white as some posters here on both spectrums believe it to be.

It's not about "defending anything and everything", I think it's more about the understanding that no team, player, or coach is perfect. Once people understand that then this place will have a lot less meltdowns.
Share 49ersWebzone