There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh's Discipline

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
accountability is lacking IMO

Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis made that pretty clear immediately after the Seattle game.

When its a 3 year problem....I need more show me
Does this really surprise anyone?

Look at Harbaugh during any game at pretty much any time. Dude is an embarassment as an NFL head coach with his gameday antics. You cant say one thing to the players about maintaining their composure while you jump and scream like an idiot during every other play.

I used to think Harbaugh was the man but I am starting to wonder if his schtick grows old and the players start tuning him out. He seriously needs to get himself under control.
Harbaugh should lay the hammer down on this motherf**ker. I don't necessarily think the team needs a message sent. but aldon does. He needs to understand that this will all be taken away traveling on this path. Suspend him for 4 games. send this dumbass kid a message!
  • buck
  • Veteran
There is a site dedicated to penalties and associated stats.

I linked this site in a post in a different thread.

It is worth looking at. Here is the link

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?&year=2012
Originally posted by dj43:
Still, his team was 15th in penalties that year. For all the bumbling, there was a certain level of accountability that did not continue under Harbaugh.

I have posted about this before. JH is definitely head-and-shoulders better than any coach here since Mooch, however, he is not even close to the level his press clippings hold him up to be. He inherited a loaded roster that was grossly underachieving under Nolan/Sing. He only did what a John Fox or Jeff Fisher level of coach would have done. Either of those two could have taken that team to the level Harbaugh did. Nothing special here.

IMO, Harbaugh's ultra-emotional sideline behavior and constant screaming at the officials detracts from the focus of the players, and it is showing in penalties and lack of focus in critical situations. For those here that remember Walsh's demeanor, or even the Andy Reid we saw on national TV last night, there is a HUGE difference between those two and Harbaugh. HE is the one that should set the tone when the going gets tough. HE is the one that MUST remain calm in the face of fire. If the coach can't control HIS emotions, how can he legitimately demand the players control theirs?

As one of the staff writers noted earlier this week in a piece on the home page, Harbaugh needs to look in the mirror. His behavior is not only detracting from the sideline atmosphere, it is embarrassing to the franchise. In several occasions he has reminded us of some of Singletary's rants where he hat flies off in one direction and his headset in another. That is not the kind of image/modeling that sets the tone for a controlled, focused football team. While Aldon may be in need of counseling, the teams lack of overall playing discipline points to a problem at a higher level.

We are now looking at a third straight season of being one of the most penalized teams in the league. The 49ers have talent but even a very talented team cannot keep shooting itself in the foot with dumb, selfish, out-of-control penalties and still win consistently at a high level. Just. can. not.

Excellent post. I agree. When things are going bad and the players are looking to the sidelines for some reassurance that everything is ok, they see ole Jim acting like a petulant child.
Originally posted by rondoman:
Does this really surprise anyone?

Look at Harbaugh during any game at pretty much any time. Dude is an embarassment as an NFL head coach with his gameday antics. You cant say one thing to the players about maintaining their composure while you jump and scream like an idiot during every other play.

I used to think Harbaugh was the man but I am starting to wonder if his schtick grows old and the players start tuning him out. He seriously needs to get himself under control.

No kidding. Every whistle the camera zooms in to a close-up of his face and with his mouth literally foaming and screaming "bullsh*t" everytime without fail. Seriously, that is way over the top and it is getting tired just like his postgame locker room speeches.
Bunch of chicken littles lol
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
Harbaugh should lay the hammer down on this motherf**ker. I don't necessarily think the team needs a message sent. but aldon does. He needs to understand that this will all be taken away traveling on this path. Suspend him for 4 games. send this dumbass kid a message!

I am one of the biggest supporters of Aldon Smith, but there is no denying that he has issues that he has to deal with.

I am not sure the team should suspend him.

But, if the team decides to do so, they must do it in concert with the league office to avoid "double jeopardy"-- a team suspension followed by a league suspension.

Also, you know that some will discount your ideas if you use terms such as dumb a**, piece of *hit, and mother f*cker.
The idea, I guess it is an idea, is that these terms render a poster's comments truly worthless.

In general, I do not find these terms very useful, but they do not hurt my willingness to consider the points you raise.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
accountability is lacking IMO

Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis made that pretty clear immediately after the Seattle game.

When its a 3 year problem....I need more show me

Sorry dude. I got no more to show you. Talk to Davis and Willis.
Originally posted by rondoman:
Excellent post. I agree. When things are going bad and the players are looking to the sidelines for some reassurance that everything is ok, they see ole Jim acting like a petulant child.

So because of his demeanor on the sidelines during games, players are expected to act out?

We have no idea how he addresses them during practice and in locker room.
Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue. You know who kept his cool and looked real good on the sidelines? Mike Nolan. And we all know how hard they played for Nolan - he really got them fired up didn't he.

Calm down everyone. The players love Harbaugh. They love him because he's one of them. He's just as into it as they are. They know he'd like to be out there banging heads with them if he could. You guys are looking for problems in the wrong places and you're completely over-reacting to two very emotional games that begin this season. The first game was one that came at the end of a couple weeks of serious smack talk from the Packers about how they were going to knock Kaepernick around. The second was the Seahawks at Clink, something that is never pretty and always very emotional.

Niner fans kill me. Some of you are just unbelievable. If you spent any time anywhere else in the country, some of you might begin to realize how ridiculous some of us are. Over the last two seasons, Harbaugh has the best winning percentage of any head coach in the NFL. In a sane world, fans wouldn't look at a coach like that and try to manufacture some reason to complain. Antics on the sideline? Give me a break. I'll take a fired-up coach who wins games and inspires players to play hard over a robot who dresses well and maintains his composure any day of the week.
And one more thing: Marshawn Lynch was arrested and thrown in jail on a DUI over a year ago. He hasn't missed a game. He gashed us real good the other night. Why are some of you pretending that Smith getting a DUI automatically means something is wrong with the system or that he should automatically be banned from the playing field.
I'm disgusted with the Niners organization right now. I'm tired of this "we're gathering information" b******t. GROW SOME SACK, STEP UP TO THE PODIUM AND ADDRESS IT LIKE A MAN!!! I'm tired of Harbaugh/baalke/ and the FO being silent, they were silent with brooks, they have been silent with Aldon, there cutesy college b******t audibling @140 decibels has made this team soft, this is on Harbaugh. If Aldon plays on Sunday I lose some respect for this org and coach.
[ Edited by ninerhippy on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM ]
Fire Harbaugh hes the suxxxors
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
I'm disgusted with the Niners organization right now. I'm tired of this "we're gathering information" b******t. GROW SOME SACK, STEP UP TO THE PODIUM AND ADDRESS IT LIKE A MAN!!! I'm tired of Harbaugh/baalke/ and the FO being silent, they were silent with brooks, they have been silent with Aldon, there cutesy college b******t audibling @140 decibels has made this team soft, this is on Harbaugh. If Aldon plays on Sunday I lose some respect for this org and coach.

lol. the quote from the organization is standard practice.