There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh's Discipline

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wasn't any problems when we had a white qb without tattoos.

Bring back Alex right method

Does this, whatever it is, have any basis or any merit?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by boast:
and we're #2 in penalties this year

Only played two games. Most penalty yards per game last year... Baltimore.

historically speaking, Baltimore's SB win was an anomaly when looking at penalties and penalty yards.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by susweel:
fire Harbs bring back Sing. lol

get this nonsense out of here.

Where the f*ck did you guys get that with Method's post?!?!?!?!?

It's a valid concern, IMO.

We were the 5th most penalized team in 2011 and had the 3rd most penalty yards. Not sure what he cited that team.

7th to be exact.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2012-02-05

But that wasn't the question I was asking you two.

ads_2006, your comment was meant to incite and had nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

To sus, where did you get "fire Harbs bring back Sing" from Method's post?

Originally posted by buck:

Does this, whatever it is, have any basis or any merit?

None whatsoever and I honestly don't know why it was posted other than to incite.

Discipline has not been a problem under Harbaugh. Most everyone in the locker room is a great person. Like any team, there are a few bad eggs. Aldon appears to be one of them.
I don't think Aldon is a 'bad egg,' but I do think he needs the 'tough love' approach by Harbs and Baalke. I don't see any other way for him to learn. And we really need him on this team. He's too big an asset to continue allowing this behavior.

I am trying real hard not to panic, but I do fear our hopes as fans, will not happen this season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In all seriousness, they could use a hardcore disciplinarian on the coaching staff, they all seem to be easygoing with the possible exception of Leavitt. As incompetent as he was with football strategy, it cant be said that Singletary didnt help VD pull his head out of his ass. Aldon needs a similar intervention.

Still, his team was 15th in penalties that year. For all the bumbling, there was a certain level of accountability that did not continue under Harbaugh.

I have posted about this before. JH is definitely head-and-shoulders better than any coach here since Mooch, however, he is not even close to the level his press clippings hold him up to be. He inherited a loaded roster that was grossly underachieving under Nolan/Sing. He only did what a John Fox or Jeff Fisher level of coach would have done. Either of those two could have taken that team to the level Harbaugh did. Nothing special here.

IMO, Harbaugh's ultra-emotional sideline behavior and constant screaming at the officials detracts from the focus of the players, and it is showing in penalties and lack of focus in critical situations. For those here that remember Walsh's demeanor, or even the Andy Reid we saw on national TV last night, there is a HUGE difference between those two and Harbaugh. HE is the one that should set the tone when the going gets tough. HE is the one that MUST remain calm in the face of fire. If the coach can't control HIS emotions, how can he legitimately demand the players control theirs?

As one of the staff writers noted earlier this week in a piece on the home page, Harbaugh needs to look in the mirror. His behavior is not only detracting from the sideline atmosphere, it is embarrassing to the franchise. In several occasions he has reminded us of some of Singletary's rants where he hat flies off in one direction and his headset in another. That is not the kind of image/modeling that sets the tone for a controlled, focused football team. While Aldon may be in need of counseling, the teams lack of overall playing discipline points to a problem at a higher level.

We are now looking at a third straight season of being one of the most penalized teams in the league. The 49ers have talent but even a very talented team cannot keep shooting itself in the foot with dumb, selfish, out-of-control penalties and still win consistently at a high level. Just. can. not.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by boast:
and we're #2 in penalties this year

Only played two games. Most penalty yards per game last year... Baltimore.

An aberration.
7th to be exact.

ads_2006, your comment was meant to incite and had nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Why do you even allow someone like "ads_2006" to post? What value does a post like that bring to the forum?
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In all seriousness, they could use a hardcore disciplinarian on the coaching staff, they all seem to be easygoing with the possible exception of Leavitt. As incompetent as he was with football strategy, it cant be said that Singletary didnt help VD pull his head out of his ass. Aldon needs a similar intervention.

Well even Sherman said Pete was the rah rah positive coach and Harbaugh was the traditional disciplinarian coach. Don't confuse players liking the coach with being a nice guy.

Not to be argumentative but, I recall him saying Harbaugh was a more traditional coach however I don't recall him using the term "disciplinarian."
Originally posted by GNielsen:
7th to be exact.

Why do you even allow someone like "ads_2006" to post? What value does a post like that bring to the forum?

I'm beginning to ask myself that question now...

accountability is lacking IMO
Originally posted by NinersJwls:
I don't think Aldon is a 'bad egg,' but I do think he needs the 'tough love' approach by Harbs and Baalke. I don't see any other way for him to learn. And we really need him on this team. He's too big an asset to continue allowing this behavior.

I am trying real hard not to panic, but I do fear our hopes as fans, will not happen this season.

Not sure what you mean by "bad egg" but it is clear Aldon has some character issues. A good character guy does not involve himself in all the off field issues he has had in his short career.

I agree he needs to be set down for awhile. My dad used to say, "take him out behind the woodshed," which meant a good paddling that would not soon be forgotten.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not sure if it amusing or sad when posters begin telling the team leaders what they should do and what they should talk about.

Both Davis and Willis spoke publicly about the excessive penalties immediately after the Seattle game.
I am going to assume that they are doing more to instill more discipline and accountability than just talking publicly.

I really do not think that we have to provide any guidance for the team leaders.

These guys really do have some experience and probably know what they should do. At least, they have more experience than the experts here in niner talk.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
accountability is lacking IMO

Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis made that pretty clear immediately after the Seattle game.