There are 187 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Discipline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by saj4423:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
TBH, i think some of the veteran leaders on this team need to start holding peoples feet to the fire. I dont know what goes on in the locker room, but it seems like we really dont have that kind of vocal leader that truly holds players feet to the fire. I think it was week one i was watching the carolina game and Steve Smith completely tore this guy a new a*****e on the sideline. You could tell the guy had nothing but respect for smith, and knew he deserved the ass chewing he was getting. (i think he had two penaltys on special teams or something and smith was not happy.)

Anyways, we have alot of great, classy, vets, but i dont really see that guy that really steps up and holds people accountable. we need someone to step up and take this role on the team.
Totally agree. If Willis can not be that vocal leader then J Smith or Bowman need to step up and start letting these guys know. Maybe Gore or Staley on Offense but something needs to be done from a leadership point.

Patrick should be the guy, but Justin and Vernon or even Bo could jump in too. I already said after the beat down in Seattle, they need to hold a closed door players only meeting to steady the nerves and fire up the team, they might as well do it in one go now and deal with all these discipline issues as well.

Sadly, Willis is simply not this player. Never has been a real vocal guy. His leadership comes mostly from leading by example. He is simply not that vocal MLB in the mold of Singletary or Lewis.
I was looking forward to the game. And this just kinda took the wind out of my sails big time.
The reason is that 49ers believe that they are automatically the representative of the Superbowl this year based on the prior years. Players get cocky, focus too much on celebrity status, rankings, etc. They forget that is a new season. They need go back and focus on discipline, each football game this season, fundamentals, strategy..Forget the limelight. It's almost as these players act like they won the Superbowl last year.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by susweel:
fire Harbs bring back Sing. lol

get this nonsense out of here.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wasn't any problems when we had a white qb without tattoos.

Bring back Alex right method

Where the f*ck did you guys get that with Method's post?!?!?!?!?

It's a valid concern, IMO.

We were the 5th most penalized team in 2011 and had the 3rd most penalty yards. Not sure what he cited that team.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This team is starting to remind me of the early Bengals teams under Marvin Lewis. He to was arrogant and thought he could control and change bad character guys. Not saying that Aldon is necessarily a "bad" guy, but we have been bringing in more and more guys with suspect backgrounds. I do not like it.

There is a difference. This team is actually good.

Those teams started out good as well, but the shenanigans caught up to them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

We were the 5th most penalized team in 2011 and had the 3rd most penalty yards. Not sure what he cited that team.

the OP just got pwned
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by saj4423:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
TBH, i think some of the veteran leaders on this team need to start holding peoples feet to the fire. I dont know what goes on in the locker room, but it seems like we really dont have that kind of vocal leader that truly holds players feet to the fire. I think it was week one i was watching the carolina game and Steve Smith completely tore this guy a new a*****e on the sideline. You could tell the guy had nothing but respect for smith, and knew he deserved the ass chewing he was getting. (i think he had two penaltys on special teams or something and smith was not happy.)

Anyways, we have alot of great, classy, vets, but i dont really see that guy that really steps up and holds people accountable. we need someone to step up and take this role on the team.
Totally agree. If Willis can not be that vocal leader then J Smith or Bowman need to step up and start letting these guys know. Maybe Gore or Staley on Offense but something needs to be done from a leadership point.

Patrick should be the guy, but Justin and Vernon or even Bo could jump in too. I already said after the beat down in Seattle, they need to hold a closed door players only meeting to steady the nerves and fire up the team, they might as well do it in one go now and deal with all these discipline issues as well.

Not a lot of "natural" leaders on this team. Seems like the roster has a lot of "lead by example" types, but besides Boldin and Smith, can't think of a lot of outspoken "leaders of men." Patrick does it out of necessity, but I don't think it's really his style (Have you heard his semi-corny, decaffeinated pregame speeches?). Call it a gut feeling (how could I possibly know for sure?), but I don't think Vernon (despite his consistently great effort for the team) has the respect of the whole locker room. Somebody needs to step up and let the coaches coach. This type of undisciplined behavior (in-game and out) needs to be snuffed in-house quickly.

the OP just got pwned

Wait... subtract Goldson's penalties.
In all seriousness, they could use a hardcore disciplinarian on the coaching staff, they all seem to be easygoing with the possible exception of Leavitt. As incompetent as he was with football strategy, it cant be said that Singletary didnt help VD pull his head out of his ass. Aldon needs a similar intervention.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

the OP just got pwned

Wait... subtract Goldson's penalties.

and we're #2 in penalties this year

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In all seriousness, they could use a hardcore disciplinarian on the coaching staff, they all seem to be easygoing with the possible exception of Leavitt. As incompetent as he was with football strategy, it cant be said that Singletary didnt help VD pull his head out of his ass. Aldon needs a similar intervention.

Well even Sherman said Pete was the rah rah positive coach and Harbaugh was the traditional disciplinarian coach. Don't confuse players liking the coach with being a nice guy.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
The problem was starting to rear it's head after last game, now it's definitely in question.

It's something we're going to have to deal with, imo. We have a solid locker room, with Justin, Patrick, Bowman, Staley, etc, etc. What more can you do to fix the problem?

Agreed and those leaders need to step up and make sure these boneheaded issues stop, like RIGHT NOW!
Originally posted by Method:
I've been so disappointed in the professionalism displayed by this team so far this year. Two or three terrible personal foul penalties that have cost us points, and now this by Aldon. Two dui's is f**king inexcusable. Suspend him now.

The 2011 team was incredibly professional, very rarely made dumb penalties on the field and it led us all the way to the NFC championship. That team was built by Singletary / Nolan, but they needed a real NFL coach to lead them to the promised land. Now we have that coach, but I've been very disappointed in his discipline of his team.

Suspend Aldon and put more discipline in this team to stop all these stupid game costing penalties. I want a professional, stand up team. Not what I've seen so far.

I so f**king agree with everyway you feel. We should keep the high standards we're accustomed to seeing from our team
We can blame Harbaugh and the lack of a vocal-presence all we want.. ultimately it comes down to the players. These are grown men, who are held accountable for their own actions. I agree there seems to be a lack of discipline, and I've no doubt this will be addressed... But don't jump to blame and criticism without knowing what actually does go on in the locker room.. Aldon is a grown man, who made a bad choice

He'll be suspended for 2-4 games, no doubt. As he should be.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
and we're #2 in penalties this year

Only played two games. Most penalty yards per game last year... Baltimore.
Share 49ersWebzone