There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive Line Play

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.....So far, and I get it's only 2 games into the season, but am I the only one who thinks our O-line may be a tad overrated? No holes for the running game and Kap's mobility is the only thing preventing a host of sacks. Even our strength, pass protection, has been suspect. For a line previously touted as one of, if not the best, lines in the league, this is not acceptable. Certainly not 2 subpar outings in a row. Talk amongst yourselves.....
I always felt the pass pro was being overrated for our OL. (weak points being Iupati, Goodwin, and yes... even the improving AD) The pass pro is light years better than it was prior to 2012 though.

The run blocking is solid, but yeah, you can always expect one of the 5 to miss a block or not sustain in 1 out of 5 plays.

Even a solid OL needs the right plays to be plugged in... no one is going to open up holes if there are extra defenders filling them.
IMO, I think the teams we play are adjusting to how we play altogether. They are finding the mismatches in our schemes. I still think we have a good O-Line but our schemes are finally getting exposed. Last year, the Rams had our numbers just by paying attention to certain formations (as described by Dahl).

This year, I'm sure that a lot of those were studied by our opponent.

Good question.

8 in the box blocked by 5 OLine people will cause any team trouble.

IMO, our coaches need to put that as a front burner issue
2nd game of the year.....not worried......yet
I think teams will continue to load the box against us because they KNOW we will try to establish the run. How much of Boldin's huge game against GB was fluke? Can it be repeated? My guess teams will bet that it CANNOT be duplicated so they'll continue to overload the box and focus on stopping the run.

This puts all the pressure on the offensive line.

Common sense would be to use more receivers and spread the defense out and this will naturally open up some running lanes for both our RBs and Kaep. But we are not designed to run this type of offense which is sad because I think Colin would thrive.

I'll be the first to admit that I HOPE I'm wrong here but I'm fearful that our offense is rapidly developing an identity crisis. Can and do we want to be a run first team with an aging RB that the coaches are to prideful to bench in favor of a quicker Kendall Hunter? Sure seems like it would be easier to develop a sophisticated passing attack so we can harness Kaepernick's passing ability.

Lot's of things to think about....
I was giving them a pass for the Packers game, and still am, because GB made it an issue that the 49ers wouldn't beat them on the ground again after destroying them for over 300 yards on the ground in January.

I also don't think we should freak out over a game in Seattle. 1st; they have an excellent defense and it is probably the best in the league. 2nd; that crowd noise makes it really hard for them to communicate amongst each other which helped Seattle's defense have a huge day. You can tell that the O-Line wasn't on the same page and in my opinion that was because the noise was messing up their communications.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.....So far, and I get it's only 2 games into the season, but am I the only one who thinks our O-line may be a tad overrated? No holes for the running game and Kap's mobility is the only thing preventing a host of sacks. Even our strength, pass protection, has been suspect. For a line previously touted as one of, if not the best, lines in the league, this is not acceptable. Certainly not 2 subpar outings in a row. Talk amongst yourselves.....

I don't think we're overrated. I think some of our rotations have been figured out, and teams know how to exploit them. Seattle for example seemed to know exactly what gap would be open during the blitz, and their dlinemen would literally rush one gap and then switch to the other like clockwork. Seattle also packed the box with 8 and sometimes 9 men. It's really hard to develop a running game under those conditions. I mean you have to get real these guys are not superman. Sometimes the best get beat. Green Bay did the same thing but their secondary is half the unit Seattles so we were able to make them pay for it in the passing game. Also our oline actually was decent in pass protection. I counted at least 15 4 second protections but nothing was open. Kaep had to move out of the pocket because his backside was closing up.

I'm not going to pretend though some of the combo, pulls, and traps have been off. I still think we have the best oline in the game but this display cannot continue especially considering the nucleus of this team is the oline. When the oline falls apart it will all fall apart. We've spend numerous 1st rounders and lots of money this summer on Davis. This is way teams fall apart. I'm not saying doom is upon us. Just pointing out the obvious. When you devote tons of resources to one area and that area fails your losing the backbone of the body.

Our opponents are still going to have to have a strong secondary though because 4-5 man pressures wont get by our oline. They can still handle a 5man pressure with no RB. They're going to need to blitz up the middle as well which will leave open that area for some easy crossing completions. Im not worried it's just time to make some adjustments on the coaching end. Also having LMJ and Hunter back will hopefully provide a huge boost. I'm not worried.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM ]
Our strength was pass pro? We have been touted as a great run blocking team but always felt our pass pro was average.
I have been thinking about making a new thread about goodwin and assignment break downs. since we don't know the assignments its impossible to really have a full grasp of whats happening but there is definite break downs. It seems to be across the line. This is why im not ready to sale gore down the river. Although it looks like father time may be catching up to him. There is something amiss with our oline. With across the board problems its coaching or the center.imo
Is it correct to say that running the read-option simplifies the Olines's run blocking scheme? There is less pulling and trapping - more straight ahead blocking. I think one of the strengths of Roman's run game is the misdirection in pulling guards and lead blocking fullbaks/H-backs. When running more read-option run plays, it takes the scheming of the run blocking out of the equation.

When running out of traditional run formations, it allows for the pulling and trapping to come to the forefront. There is more emphasis at the point of attack such as pulling Iupati through the running lane, then have Miller follow right behind him. Combine that with the power of the OLine (Iupati, Boone, ADavis) and that is what makes the Oline shine brightest.
Originally posted by thl408:
Is it correct to say that running the read-option simplifies the Olines's run blocking scheme? There is less pulling and trapping - more straight ahead blocking. I think one of the strengths of Roman's run game is the misdirection in pulling guards and lead blocking fullbaks/H-backs. When running more read-option run plays, it takes the scheming of the run blocking out of the equation.

When running out of traditional run formations, it allows for the pulling and trapping to come to the forefront. There is more emphasis at the point of attack such as pulling Iupati through the running lane, then have Miller follow right behind him. Combine that with the power of the OLine (Iupati, Boone, ADavis) and that is what makes the Oline shine brightest.

It does. The option consists of letting the weakside end free and then using numbers to block out the strongside. If the QB decides to keep it he''s running on the weakside/backside of the play has pretty big running lanes because the strength of the play. If the running back keeps it he is running into a numerical advantage on the strongside. You can still use pulls and FB lead in the read option though. I may be wrong but this is my understanding of it

The second part. That's what we did for a good percentage of the snaps against Seattle. The thing is Cam Chancellor SS was able to move in the box take on the Miller lead block which allowed Wright/Wager more freedom to track the play. He provided a numerical advantage at the point of attack.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I think teams will continue to load the box against us because they KNOW we will try to establish the run.

Man, does anyone else in here see the irony in this? This is the EXACT same strategy defenses used to employ against us when we had Alex Smith and a more methodical-offense. Defenses would stack 8-9 men in the box and run blitz between the tackles. This way they'd shut down Gore AND get Alex pressured and on the run, usually, scrambling for his life hoping SOMEONE would break off their route and be open before he was murdered. Now Seattle did the same thing to CK (Gore was useless), no point in trying to run inside or outside while forcing CK on the run to make a pass play (and usually, the 1 or 2 receivers are covered). How ironic.

There are a million ways to combat this but I don't think HaRoMan "get it" quite yet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Our strength was pass pro? We have been touted as a great run blocking team but always felt our pass pro was average.

of course this is the truth, now they pass block well but have forgotten to run block,. shirley it can not be that hard to do both things well?
I always wondered how our oline was all of a sudden considered the best in the league. I m happy with our guys, but when you go back and watch games, you'd be surprised how many blown assignments and penalties we have.