There are 161 users in the forums

why doesn't harbs/roman script the first 15 plays of the game old school style?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
remember when we used to do this? i guess it's a new NFL or whatever but this would be something to try out. could've really helped us to start the game in seattle too!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
remember when Jimmy Raye did too?
Jimmy Raye could do it in his sleep.
Originally posted by rapid4:

Jimmy Raye did do it in his sleep.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by rapid4:

Jimmy Raye did do it in his sleep.
Jimmy Raye was never awake to begin with.
I'm pretty sure they do.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm pretty sure they do.

yeah I read it somewhere that he does
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm pretty sure they do.

yeah I read it somewhere that he does

They just mentioned before the Seahawks game that Roman scripts the first few plays, but not the first 15.

On a side note: Scripting the first 15 plays was great for Walsh and Holmgren because they were masters at being able to figure out the opponents defensive game plan based on how they responded to those 15 plays. It wasn't some magic formula that works for anyone. It was Walsh's genius that made it work and Holmgren could do it because he learned from the master. Everyone else who has done that either learned directly from Walsh or from Holmgren.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM ]
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
They just mentioned before the Seahawks game that Roman scripts the first few plays, but not the first 15.

On a side note: Scripting the first 15 plays was great for Walsh and Holmgren because they were masters at being able to figure out the opponents defensive game plan based on how they responded to those 15 plays. It wasn't some magic formula that works for anyone. It was Walsh's genius that made it work and Holmgren could do it because he learned from the master. Everyone else who has done that either learned directly from Walsh or from Holmgren.

harbaugh absorbed bill walsh like an ameoba eats particles. that's why he's so pissed all the time. there is literally not enough room in his skin for all of the football, and naturally since rage is the outermost layer, and also has the benefit of being the hottest emotion, it breaks through often
I'm sure they have 2-3 plays scripted for whatever look the D presents.

Something I'd like to see us get back to is years ago, we always expected to score on out first series in every game. I'm talking days of Joe & Steve.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm sure they have 2-3 plays scripted for whatever look the D presents.

Something I'd like to see us get back to is years ago, we always expected to score on out first series in every game. I'm talking days of Joe & Steve.

I expect for us to score now on opening drive :)
Because things change. Defenses these days are a lot more complicated and multi-faceted than they were in the 80's. Defenses have pre-snap shifts to change formations these days - that used to be very rare. Now, everyone does it.
Especially when we play away in extremely hostile environments. Plays should be scripted and or signs/signals used. I don't the answer, nor do I get paid to figure it out but a lot more effort to do so is needed. Some heads would roll back in the Eddie days, Jed needs to sack up and demand better. Because I know for a fact our coaching staff can, pressure from the top may be needed at times.
Okay, do some of you not realize that things have changed since the 80's? Are you all absolutely sure that Bill Walsh would still be scripting the first 25 plays?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Because things change. Defenses these days are a lot more complicated and multi-faceted than they were in the 80's. Defenses have pre-snap shifts to change formations these days - that used to be very rare. Now, everyone does it.

This is exactly why scripted plays work, if you have an OC that can adjust to what he see's on the field. Walsh was exceptional at this, HaRoman, not so much.
Share 49ersWebzone