LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

older/ol' skool zoners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
The last good 9'er QB before Montana was Brodie.

r plunkett was a good game manager in 76 but injuries took that team from 6-1 to 8-6 brodie to gene washington was the foreshadowing to montana to soloman, montana to clark, montana to rice etc etc. kind of hard to believe someone did not know about john brodie.

Yeah, but Plunkett didn't really excell until he went to the Raiders. Was average for us.
Brodie was known for being an excellent passer but having difficulty in big games. Of course, in big games he was playing great teams so...whatever! He could really thread a pass, strong arm, good touch. Strong in the pocket and a smart player...Stanford QB.
Brodie threw the most beautiful spiral and he was a great golfer. I go back to Y. A. (Tittle that is), if you ever get a chance check out his bootleg at the goal line, it's textbook.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Brodie threw the most beautiful spiral and he was a great golfer. I go back to Y. A. (Tittle that is), if you ever get a chance check out his bootleg at the goal line, it's textbook.

I was very young when Tittle was playing but recall my dad and grandfather arguing who was better...Tittle or Albert. My grandfather had played before the NFL was formed and loved guys who played the entire way, as he did.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM ]
This is the start on my era! Brodie all the way! Love that old clip by the way, I was 6 when that game was played, don't remember it specifically, but it broght me back a few years, thanks for posting it!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
This is the start on my era! Brodie all the way! Love that old clip by the way, I was 6 when that game was played, don't remember it specifically, but it broght me back a few years, thanks for posting it!

After football, 'cause they didn't make much money way back then, one of the ways Brodie made money was playing golf with various suckers and winning money on bets they made during the round. He was that good an athlete.
Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
That clip is awesome. I remember watching that highlight show with brookshire and summeral every week as a kid. No Internet or espn! Man was it a different game. Did you notice the hit on Namath? That is a penalty now....he did not even look at the ref for a call. Thanks for posting this. Can you tell me where you got it?

And the guy who put that hit on Namath was a real bada**, #86 Cedrick Hardman, the 49ers' all-time sack leader.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
That clip is awesome. I remember watching that highlight show with brookshire and summeral every week as a kid. No Internet or espn! Man was it a different game. Did you notice the hit on Namath? That is a penalty now....he did not even look at the ref for a call. Thanks for posting this. Can you tell me where you got it?

And the guy who put that hit on Namath was a real bada**, #86 Cedrick Hardman, the 49ers' all-time sack leader.
when he was on,, he just could not be stopped coming around on the edge. tommy hart was on the other side. elam and webb in the middle. three great backers in skip, wilcox and the fudgehammer... now that is a front 7
Share 49ersWebzone