LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Positives - what have we learnt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Whenever something in my life doesn't go the way I plan, whether in sports, work or other environments, I am a firm believer in reflecting and trying to learn/improve from it.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole game and only managed to catch the last hour - I live in the UK and started a new job on Monday so didn't want to be too tired for it - so don't know the full story about what happened. Having read some of the posts it seems pretty "doom and gloom" focusing on the negatives etc.

Surely there were some positives in the game? You rarely get to find out how good a player is/can be by beating teams easily - some players can be carried by others in "easy"games.

Can anyone give a run down of who played well/showed some flashes? Did any young players show some glimpses for the future, or did any established players reinforce their credentials? I'm hearing a lot about McDonald and how he has the potential to be a great, punishing, open field runner and Reid (from what he briefly showed) is looking like a solid 1st round pick, is any of this true?

Please try and keep this thread about things we have learnt that will benefit in the long run and not turn it into a(nother) negative thread
1) Aldon Smith cannot be stopped.

2) Baalke may have hit a home run on the Eric Reid pick.

3) There is no drop off in Justin Smith.

4) Special teams have improved.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1) Aldon Smith cannot be stopped.

2) Baalke may have hit a home run on the Eric Reid pick.

3) There is no drop off in Justin Smith.

4) Special teams have improved.
i think our tackling was better esp in the first half when the defense was well rested. the line just needs to get back to run blocking like they know how to. why they act like they have forgotten is beyond me but i bet we have a good game in that regards sunday.
our single toughest game on our schedule is over with. yes we play that team again, but its at our place. its a must win and we just gotta keep pace with them until then.
Mcdonald and reid look like future stars.
seattle is good and can beat us up on the outside but our receivers will be way improved by the time we see them again with manningham and crabs coming back as well as harper and/or baldwin getting in sync with kap. boldin was the only receiver out there that didnt get completely manhandled. i saw sherman or someone body slam patton on the line. i think harbaugh learned that we have to get back to doing what we did last year. ball control, power formations, short passes, sweeps, dump offs against a team like this.
Don't play in Seattle
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Don't play in Seattle

ha. 7 other teams will probably not win there either this year
Originally posted by cciowa:
Don't play in Seattle

some s**tty team is gonna bea them there watch.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Don't play in Seattle

Jags ?

Don't play in Seattle

Jags ?

500 yards of total offense
Learned not learnt!

Anyway great topic. IMHO one of the greater silver linings in that one is it had to be a major wake up call to the staff about what changes they need to make going forward. Will they respond with something tangible? That is the question. This team can't just write this one off and look forward to a couple of injured receivers coming back in time to "save the day."

Going power run formation all the time isn't a complete answer either.

What I am thinking is the staff found out the hard way where the team and the planning need work, and that they are not making half time adjustments like they did last year.

They likely also learned Kap isn't sneaking up on anybody anymore.

Change in game planning should be in order. That is the positive that comes out of this I hope.
Don't play in Seattle

Jags ?

500 yards of total offense
for the season
1).
Sorry about that.

1). Reid is the real deal.

2). Vance will be a force

3). We need better game planning against Seattle - every team we will play will be studying that game film.
Share 49ersWebzone