LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Fangio's Defensive History:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This fantasy football approach to stats is killing objectivity.

LoL, so true. I think another problem is that some people expected us to have that 2011 defense for a long time, we kind of got spoiled by how good they played and how healthy they were. I don't think that 2011 defense lost a single player to injury... not even those nagging injuries that slow players down. This year already the 49ers have lost Culliver and Williams for the season, along with the guys that have minor injuries like Willis and RayMac

I am fairly certain I said I was not including this year since we are only 2 games in, so the loss of Culliver, Williams, Willis and Ray Mac have no relevance. This was more in response to the fact they have given up an avg of 29 ppg over the last 8-9 games and how that may or may not relate to Fangios history of statistically declining each year. Has nothing to do with fantasy football approach or thinking the D is no good, just a little food for thought.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This fantasy football approach to stats is killing objectivity.

LoL, so true. I think another problem is that some people expected us to have that 2011 defense for a long time, we kind of got spoiled by how good they played and how healthy they were. I don't think that 2011 defense lost a single player to injury... not even those nagging injuries that slow players down. This year already the 49ers have lost Culliver and Williams for the season, along with the guys that have minor injuries like Willis and RayMac

I am fairly certain I said I was not including this year since we are only 2 games in, so the loss of Culliver, Williams, Willis and Ray Mac have no relevance. This was more in response to the fact they have given up an avg of 29 ppg over the last 8-9 games and how that may or may not relate to Fangios history of statistically declining each year. Has nothing to do with fantasy football approach or thinking the D is no good, just a little food for thought.

maybe it has something to do with the fact that we played some of the best teams in football over that span. Patriots, Packers twice, Falcons, Ravens, and Seattle twice IN SEATTLE. That's an absolutely brutal schedule for anyone, you're going to give up points playing these teams.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Yeah. Our defense has been horrendous since Fangio got here.

Kick his butt down the street.
Originally posted by buck:
Yeah. Our defense has been horrendous since Fangio got here.

Kick his butt down the street.

And where exactly was this said or even implied? I like Fangio as DC and think he will clean up a few things to get back on track, but the OP is merely pointing out statistical fact. You think he and some others fans are the only ones asking these questions? Many analysts and so-called experts have questioned the, at times, lack of rotation, reluctance to blitz, etc.

Sure, you can attribute the past 8-or-so games solely to who the opponents were...your prerogative. But doesn't mean you're right...maybe there are underlying issues that are hampering the defense. This doesn't mean Fangio is "wrong", that his scheme sucks, or the 49ers are headed for impending doom. But these are fair questions to be asked and discussed.
Fangio has little confidence in the defensive backfield and is eager to go with the nickel, to cover the pass. That's when the other team's run the ball. That's what Wilson was doing Sunday. When ever they went to nickel he run the ball and their rb gouged them big time. I think he needs to get Asomgha and Rogers out of there and give somebody else a chance.
  • thl408
One thing about Fangio's defense with the 49ers, he may not dial up elaborate blitz packages, but the 49ers defense rarely gives up explosive plays (20+ yards). I guess that is the 'plus' to being rather vanilla. I'd say that's a fair trade off.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Now with only 5 Dlinemen on the roster Fangio isn't given many pieces to use a rotation.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Fangio's pre 49ers D

'95 Panthers - 7th overall
'96 Panthers - 10th overall
'97 Panthers - 15th overall
'98 Panthers - 30th overall

'99 Colts - 15th overall
'00 Colts - 21st overall
'01 Colts - 29th overall

'02 Texans - 16th overall
'03 Texans - 31st overall
'04 Texans - 23rd overall

'11 49ers - 4th overall
'12
'13
Originally posted by boast:
Fangio's pre 49ers D

'99 Colts - 15th overall
'00 Colts - 21st overall
'01 Colts - 29th overall

'11 49ers - 4th overall
'12
'13

Any history of the personnel losses from year to year?

Our db's are way worse now than two years ago.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
And where exactly was this said or even implied? I like Fangio as DC and think he will clean up a few things to get back on track, but the OP is merely pointing out statistical fact. You think he and some others fans are the only ones asking these questions? Many analysts and so-called experts have questioned the, at times, lack of rotation, reluctance to blitz, etc.

Sure, you can attribute the past 8-or-so games solely to who the opponents were...your prerogative. But doesn't mean you're right...maybe there are underlying issues that are hampering the defense. This doesn't mean Fangio is "wrong", that his scheme sucks, or the 49ers are headed for impending doom. But these are fair questions to be asked and discussed.

Excuse me. My post really did not match the thread.

It was a result of a huge headache I got when the damn sky hit me on the head.

Sorry.

It's obvious from 2011 that our defense has dropped off. We used to scare people, we were knocking RBs out of the game every week, DOMINATION HITS. No more. Now, not the case. We may be solid on defense, but we're not dominant and can't win games with just our defense.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Fangio's pre 49ers D

'99 Colts - 15th overall
'00 Colts - 21st overall
'01 Colts - 29th overall

'11 49ers - 4th overall
'12
'13

The Colts, Texans and Panthers... Not exactly the cream of the crop of NFL teams when he was the defense coordinator.
Originally posted by Jcool:
The Colts, Texans and Panthers... Not exactly the cream of the crop of NFL teams when he was the defense coordinator.

two of those teams were brand new expansion teams and the other was coming off a 3-13 season...
Originally posted by thl408:
One thing about Fangio's defense with the 49ers, he may not dial up elaborate blitz packages, but the 49ers defense rarely gives up explosive plays (20+ yards). I guess that is the 'plus' to being rather vanilla. I'd say that's a fair trade off.

That's b/c he lines his S's up 30 yards deep. But when we get in the RZ, that's when Whitner happens. So while I agree, we don't give up a ton of 20+ yarders (discounting the 51 yarder to Baldwin and the 40+ P.I.), we DO give up the TD's in the EZ and really, that used to be our biggest strength (PA). We used to NOT give up the TD's but give up lots of yards and we used to score a ton in the RZ on offense. As a team, we are now just the opposite.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone