There are 365 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Game 2 Assessment:

Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
I didn't even see Gore get open on that 2nd video where he locked in on Miller... good catch. I'm not really concerned about that because Miller was wide open too, should have been a 1st if it wasn't at his freakin knees. You're right though, they did miss a lot of chances to dump off to Gore. I think that play where Patton got thrown down did draw a flag, I'm pretty sure it did. That last clip where Moore was wide open is such a let down. Like I said, props to Seattle's pass rush for forcing Kap to escape... because Seattle's secondary screwed up and left him wide open. Even the deepest safety was running to the other side of the field. If Kap had just a little more time in the pocket or would have actually seen him when he rolled out, that could have gone for a TD. Not sure how fast he is so maybe the Seahawks could have covered the ground and got him inside the 10... but either way, can't leave plays like that on the field on the road.

Until Kaep shows that he can read the entire field, the jury is still out on him being an "elite" QB. The coaching staff may be trying to cover up a few things here. Granted, Kaep faced a lot of pressure but a lot of posts around here make it seem like our receiving corp. was just swallowed whole by the SEA secondary. I'm not so sure ... There are QBs in the league that would have destroyed SEA's scheme. I'm guessing Kaep is not there YET and our coaching staff knows it.
One game slip up ... remember the golden rule .. the teams playing the best at the end of the season are what matter .. if we can make weekly improvement even if it's just minor in the end hopefully everything clicks when it counts in playoff time ... Seattle was the better team that night but the season is yet young ... In all honesty we very well may get 2 more chances to play them this season and if we can't beat them hats off but I still believe we can beat them at the stick or century if we work out the kinds and play our best football.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by Blue_27:
Wow. ... Just whining? No acceptance that you got beat by a better team? OK. Get better y'all. We're coming in December. Think he'll bet another eyebrow?

Why do she-hawk fans talk if you guys have won something?

They mistakenly think a regular season win guarantees success in the playoffs. You think they would have learned from last year that beating the 49ers in Seattle doesn't mean they can win in Atlanta. So far they have shown that they are the same team from last year. Dominant at home and terribly mediocre on the road at 10am. Same results from last year so far, barely beat a terrible Panthers team but play great at home.
Make no mistake, Seattle is a tough team and even tougher place to play but the 49ers are a better team then how they played Sunday night. At least I hope so.
Niners must win division, so that they dont have to go back to the Clink. Moving forward, they must win all home games and win as many road games possible.
Cat out of the bag? lol
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
I have been noticing a trend the past few years. There are always dominant teams in the playoffs one year, then maybe 3-4 of those teams make it the following year. I remember when the Titans had that great season and fell off instantly when Kerry Collins was QB. Pittsburgh was making the playoffs every year but it seems they have lost talent and Big Ben isn't what he used to be. The Eagles had that great year with Vick and was expected to do big things last year. They finished with a losing record. The Giants are constantly up-and-down. It looks like Baltimore is on the decline? The only true team to consistently win the past 11 years have been the Patriots. It is almost expected of them to be in the playoffs at least.

Is it the 49ers time? The low of averages and probabilities states we should have a down year. It is impossible to win every year and Seattle looks damn good (at home at least). I am hoping and praying this game does not destroy them mentally. Seattle appears to have that "it" factor we had in 2011.

Things just went right for us that year all the time. Lucky bounces like that interception in the first quarter that completely changed the dynamic of the Seattle game. Stuff like that happened all the time to the Niners in 2011. A good example would be the Justin Smith strip-fumble on Vick up in Philly. That thing could have easily rolled out of bounds and the Eagles would have had the ball at the 50 with plenty of time left to win that game. But it didn't and that game was the jump-off to that great 2011 season campaign.

I hope this game was not the jump-off for Seattle this year. The Niners cannot lay-down! I hope it was just a slip-up and can bounce back in a big way against the Colts.

I feel you are on to something. I felt this would be a down year. As you note it's the nature of cycles. Look at a stock market chart. Even when a stock is advancing it doesn't do it in a straight line. It goes up a bit then regresses before continuing up. Superbowl losing teams have a hard time coming back because of the "PTSD" like state getting so close and losing usually induces. Teams that have been down for a while like the niners in 11' build up a lot of emotional capital because of the frustration of losing. Its like coiling a spring. When it finally turns they use all that pent up energy to drive toward the top. Conversely, when you've been there or close it's hard to keep up the passion, desire like someone who hasn't and wants it more.
I also sense we are in an identity crises. What is our brand of football. It used to be old school, dominating defense and run the football. What are we now. I do have immense faith in Harbalke though. While this may be a down year, and we may not even make the playoffs, although I think we get in on a wild card, I would bet that they will come out of this stronger next year.
Originally posted by boast:
the sky is not falling. last week's game was not really a dominating performance by the Seahawks. i really think the delay affected the Niners more than the home team. this was a slip up.

This. Wilson completed only 8 passes for under 150 yards, marshawn 3.5 yards/carry... hardly as dominating as cawk fans make it out to be.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
One game slip up ... remember the golden rule .. the teams playing the best at the end of the season are what matter .. if we can make weekly improvement even if it's just minor in the end hopefully everything clicks when it counts in playoff time ... Seattle was the better team that night but the season is yet young ... In all honesty we very well may get 2 more chances to play them this season and if we can't beat them hats off but I still believe we can beat them at the stick or century if we work out the kinds and play our best football.

I'm with you. It's all about the end of the year. Week 6 will pass and Manningham, Dial, Carradine and Wright will be available. Hopefully Crabs by playoffs. We will have had a chance to season new guys like Patton, McDonald and Reid. A lot can be discovered by the coaching staff as to how to take the next step in taking this team to a new level. Harbaugh has shown an uncanny ability to do this in his coaching career.
I said it in the offseason, I'm saying it now. We. In. Trouble.
We will be just fine! Bank on it :)
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
I said it in the offseason, I'm saying it now. We. In. Trouble.

This was the second game of the season and nothing more than that. You can't tell which way a team is heading after two games. After four games? Yes, you can get an idea of which way a team is going or which way the season is headed.

But, not after just two games. This team is still learning its true identity.

I hate early tests like this, but it's the price that winning teams pay. We went to the Super Bowl last year. That means no more cakewalk schedules in the year after.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Too early to tell. I remember a terrible Dolphins team beating an undefeated Patriots team. Seattle could possibly win the division although I still don't think they are good on the road they barely beat Carolina. I think Colin struggles with the clock more than Alex did and with the noise I think it creates problems calling plays. I saw a lot plays where the WRs couldn't hear the calls to go in motion and had to be tapped to move I don't think he got the matchups he wanted because of it. Harbaugh needs to line these guys up on a runway and practice running plays with planes landing. Smith hasn't had that problem because the crowd wasnt breaking records when Jackson was QB
If this was Week 17, I'd be panicking.

It's the start of Week 3. I still think the team is experiencing growing pains with transitioning to a more complex offense, and Kap is still maturing into becoming a better leader. Losses happen, and eventually everyone loses at something. You can learn much more from your losses than your wins if you allow yourself to learn.

Week 2 was a test, and the test failed. So what would anyone else do in that situation, complain? Say it's all over? Or do you pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes today so you can improve and become better tomorrow?

You've only truly lost if you've given up.