Team identity, which do you prefer.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Team identity, which do you prefer.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
high flying passing game with a bad ass defense
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
when we play well, we impose our will on teams and we bring out the worst is teams. last sundays game was a complete reversal, the hawks brought out the worst in our team. that has to be turned around starting with a good run game this sunday in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
when we play well, we impose our will on teams and we bring out the worst is teams. last sundays game was a complete reversal, the hawks brought out the worst in our team. that has to be turned around starting with a good run game this sunday in my opinion

And it will be turned around, people are just panicking and thinking that just because of the loss, we need to go back to square one and rebuild everything. lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
And it will be turned around, people are just panicking and thinking that just because of the loss, we need to go back to square one and rebuild everything. lol
agree. i have been known to hit nine on the over reaction richter scale but i am sure we will rebound and get back to playing the ball the way we do. i just was not expecting so many to lash out at so many players on our team for what took place sunday,. to me it was a total team loss which we did a couple times last year. there will be no firesale, there will be no garage sale where we replace a bunch of players. the only roster move we probably make this week is to sign a cheap free agent guy to back up dorsey.
Typical webzoner overreacting. The Niners went to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl in the past two seasons. They started this season against two of the BEST teams not only in the NFC but in the NFL. To be 1-1 at this point is great. Any team can have a stinker, flush it and move on.

This team is fine, win the NFC West, secure home field advantage and all is good
  • thl408
Why not be a hybrid team that can beat you in many ways? Perhaps on the road, be a bit more conservative to start the game. At home, with a quiet crowd when on offense, look for more explosive plays by being able to change the play at the line of scrimmage. It doesn't have to be black and white if the 49ers can do both (pass for big gains or run for methodical drives).

If Baalke decided to go with one "theme", I think it would be a huge mistake. For instance if he wanted to be a power running team, guys like Iupati, Boone, need to be extended pronto. If he decides to go with a high flying attack, then Crabs will be important, drafting more capable receivers will be important. Iupati becomes nearly a liability due to his average pass blocking skills. Same could be said of ADavis, although he is already extended.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Typical webzoner overreacting. The Niners went to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl in the past two seasons. They started this season against two of the BEST teams not only in the NFC but in the NFL. To be 1-1 at this point is great. Any team can have a stinker, flush it and move on.

This team is fine, win the NFC West, secure home field advantage and all is good

i hate the fact we need some help with someone having to beat the hawks. i will just assume they will not lose at home. aside from us, do they have any tough games on the road? maybe the rams give them problems in the dome? if the mods feel this is not relevant to the topic, get rid of it
While I prefer the latter, this team is built to run
We have to Gore and the running game going.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
"Risk taking" could be replaced with gambling, it refers to more blitzes, more man coverage, less base pressure with four and cover hard on the back end. Risk taking defenses tend to cause more turn overs, but "risk" giving up the big play. Risk taking defense is not, to me at least a bad thing, it is more of a style thing. Just like a power run game is conservative, compared to an aggressive passing attack is what a stout take no risk defense is to a gambling defense.

No risk no reward, or so say some.

OK, got you.

Honestly, I don't think what you have listed in your poll options have to be mutually exclusive of each other.

If anything, I would add one more option, one word - "balanced".

Even with Kap, we have been running the ball. I don't think anyone is suggesting just to throw the ball deep in every snap. We have the Pistol, we can run up the gut with Frank if we want to or Kap can take QB runs or play action passes. Last Sunday, Frank just couldn't pound it against a wall. The problem was coaching and bad playcalling, we didn't make enough adjustments on anything. We couldn't throw neither when we just ran traditional 3 WR sets.

As for D, we have never been a big time blitz team, but that is not to say we don't have a healthy amount of pass rush.

But, if it was the Seahawks game that motivated you to run this poll, I think you need to consider perhaps the Seahawks might just well be better than us at ths juncture. They played better in every single phase of the game than us. Their game planning and playcalling were also better.

Yeah, I get you, I could have had multiple versions, but it my experience, successful teams seem to fall mainly into one of these two categories.
even if gire!!!

Originally posted by 9erred:

Not over reacting, just asking a simple question, we had an identity with Alex at QB. We took very few risks, offensively of defensively, it was boring but successful. I think the team is in transition, from a plodding methodical offense to a more dynamic and explosive one, I think the Seattle game was growing pains nothing more.

This got me thinking, I know what I would like to see from this team, I wondered what my fellow fans in the Webzone would like to see, what they felt fit our personal. Silly me, I actually respect, and enjoy the opinions I read here in the "Zone!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think the issue we have is a lack of identity, we were a team with a run based offense, and stout defense. With the emergence of Colin Kaepernick we have become a deep threat passing team, with out and recovers. This is to me a problem.
There is a thread asking if it is time for Frank Gore to be put out to pasture, the real question isn't what Frank has left in the tank, but why keep him if we are not going to use him properly. Last Sunday, we tried quite hard to hammer square pegs into round holes on national TV and were embarrassed in the effort.

Several questions arise from this;
What are the coaches looking for?
What kind of personnel do we have?
What will give us the best chance of winning?
If we are a team in transition, how do we best make this change?
If we have had success in the last two seasons why make this change?

The point of this poll is to get a feel for what and who you think this team is. I think if we are going to play more spread, and less under center power running, then the following players are expendable on offense:
Gore
Miller
Celeb

The coaching staff should be asking these question of themselves, NFL rosters are limited, this prevents teams from having multiple personalities, we need to pick one and stick with it.

So please describe, you perfect team style, and what personal on our roster would fit that scheme.

There's something more to it...Like

Why do we play vanilla/Bully mode against our Division ?

we always have these odd ball game plans against our division which make the games closer then they really are
I don't think the problem is a lack of identity its a lack of flexibility by the staff.

They attacked GB and then played not to lose in Seattle and, lost.

Simple WCO, um 9er offense, would do the trick.

Lets see some flexibility when things go a little south and start calling Rathman plays.

Superbowl
Im partial to both options! Depending on the opponent! To force our will whenever and how ever we want. Seattle game is just a blip. Left bad taste for sure! But bet your ass harbaugh n the guys will be back come sunday ready to dominate once again
I'm a fan of the passing game, WC style. Spread the field and pick apart the enemy...but this was not a choice...oh well...go Chiefs! LOL!
Share 49ersWebzone