LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 308 users in the forums

Team identity, which do you prefer.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Team identity, which do you prefer.

I think the issue we have is a lack of identity, we were a team with a run based offense, and stout defense. With the emergence of Colin Kaepernick we have become a deep threat passing team, with out and recovers. This is to me a problem.
There is a thread asking if it is time for Frank Gore to be put out to pasture, the real question isn't what Frank has left in the tank, but why keep him if we are not going to use him properly. Last Sunday, we tried quite hard to hammer square pegs into round holes on national TV and were embarrassed in the effort.

Several questions arise from this;
What are the coaches looking for?
What kind of personnel do we have?
What will give us the best chance of winning?
If we are a team in transition, how do we best make this change?
If we have had success in the last two seasons why make this change?

The point of this poll is to get a feel for what and who you think this team is. I think if we are going to play more spread, and less under center power running, then the following players are expendable on offense:
Gore
Miller
Celeb

The coaching staff should be asking these question of themselves, NFL rosters are limited, this prevents teams from having multiple personalities, we need to pick one and stick with it.

So please describe, you perfect team style, and what personal on our roster would fit that scheme.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I am sorry I feel this poll is biased. What exactly is a "risk taking defense" ?

We did try to run the ball and we couldn't in the Seahawks game. They put 8 men in the box to stuff our run, in fact it was stupid to run against a wall. We need better WRs and better schemes. A lot of guys have posted about alternative game plans such as 4,5 WR sets, bunch formations and the list goes on.

If you want the 9ers to play like they did in 2011, then you are not utilizing your talents properly.

As for the thread on Frank, it is time, but not until we have a legit replacement.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I am sorry I feel this poll is biased. What exactly is a "risk taking defense" ?

We did try to run the ball and we couldn't in the Seahawks game. They put 8 men in the box to stuff our run, in fact it was stupid to run against a wall. We need better WRs and better schemes. A lot of guys have posted about alternative game plans such as 4,5 WR sets, bunch formations and the list goes on.

If you want the 9ers to play like they did in 2011, then you are not utilizing your talents properly.

As for the thread on Frank, it is time, but not until we have a legit replacement.

"Risk taking" could be replaced with gambling, it refers to more blitzes, more man coverage, less base pressure with four and cover hard on the back end. Risk taking defenses tend to cause more turn overs, but "risk" giving up the big play. Risk taking defense is not, to me at least a bad thing, it is more of a style thing. Just like a power run game is conservative, compared to an aggressive passing attack is what a stout take no risk defense is to a gambling defense.

No risk no reward, or so say some.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Sep 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM ]
the stupidity of the startegy , if you have 8 or 9 in the box you don't run but you spread out the D by have 3 or 4 WR and then run !
The one which bring us a Superbowl Win.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
"Risk taking" could be replaced with gambling, it refers to more blitzes, more man coverage, less base pressure with four and cover hard on the back end. Risk taking defenses tend to cause more turn overs, but "risk" giving up the big play. Risk taking defense is not, to me at least a bad thing, it is more of a style thing. Just like a power run game is conservative, compared to an aggressive passing attack is what a stout take no risk defense is to a gambling defense.

OK, got you.

Honestly, I don't think what you have listed in your poll options have to be mutually exclusive of each other.

If anything, I would add one more option, one word - "balanced".

Even with Kap, we have been running the ball. I don't think anyone is suggesting just to throw the ball deep in every snap. We have the Pistol, we can run up the gut with Frank if we want to or Kap can take QB runs or play action passes. Last Sunday, Frank just couldn't pound it against a wall. The problem was coaching and bad playcalling, we didn't make enough adjustments on anything. We couldn't throw neither when we just ran traditional 3 WR sets.

As for D, we have never been a big time blitz team, but that is not to say we don't have a healthy amount of pass rush.

But, if it was the Seahawks game that motivated you to run this poll, I think you need to consider perhaps the Seahawks might just well be better than us at ths juncture. They played better in every single phase of the game than us. Their game planning and playcalling were also better.
I would always take the ball control, methodical balance with lots of power runs and PA passes.

... and it would completely depend on the personnel to determine the aggressiveness of my defensive mindset... but I do prefer an attacking style more in the mold of a 4-3 Under.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
what's a recovers?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Rascal:

He was describing the 2009 Saints
I think a 3rd or a 4th option in the poll would have opened it up more.

On defense which is what the post leads with - I like both. I like fast and brutally aggressive.

We can only do what our players are capable of. When we had Joe/Steve we had best of both. We could score deep, take short passes and get YAC and run effectively = WCO.

Not sure we could do that now w/our current personnel. IMO, we still need a Big, fast WR. Seattle DB's are too big & strong for average sized receivers. I forget who the player was who threw Patton down like rag doll but that what I'm talking about. Soon others will start to copy what Hawks did in their secondary.

Totally agree w/Rascal - we couldn't get an inch running into that 8 man block and Roman kept calling it. WHY? If Roman leaves I really don't care. Supposedly we have a vault of WCO film and material that can be used - they need to go back to our roots.

I liked the no huddle which if practiced enough would be another weapon to exploit.

I want the identity we saw in 2012, early 2012. I just want to see a little more Kaep added to it. Make the run a huge threat again so Kaep can use PA in a big way like he did in his first game against Chicago. The defense is getting tired because offensive drives aren't lasting as long. I do not want to see the whole thing tossed out, but I want to see less passing and more grinding.
We're trying to be good at everything, rather than being great at one thing. You can't be a power running team out of the option/pistol look. And Gore isn't an option/piston RB. We have a GREAT offensive line. Go traditional I-formation with your FB and get back to running between the tackles and running sweeps.

Get more of Kap under center, some play actions that keeps the defense guessing as to whether is a run, pass or bootleg around the weakside.

Not all that complicated.
Originally posted by communist:
The one which bring us a Superbowl Win.

Bingo. We have to adapt based on who we are playing.
the one where we dont look like a college football team
It's too damn early in the season for this kind of thread.

A lack of identity?! lol
Share 49ersWebzone