There are 219 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS HOUSTON TEXANS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 5)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's going to be a tough game vs texans but Vernon is back scoring touchdowns.
Me and 2 mates are going to be at the game...last time I went was 20 years ago (I'm a brit!) Looking to do some tailgating, can someone recommend or hook me up with some?
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by jreff22:
^^^ if Kap plays great we win. Our season is really in his hands.

That's the problem. Kap is not playing well right now. There is no progression in his reads and to make things worse he is hesitant to scramble. I don't know what his issues are, but his "one-reads" have been well-documented thus far this season. If the 49ers are to be successful this season, Kap will need to step up to make our passing game legit again. Yes, we might have won the game, but I am not ecstatic about it cos 167 yards of passing is nothing to brag about. I almost hate to watch the analysis when I see so many open receivers that he missed out on. If he regresses, our passing game regresses and our overall performance regresses.

Kaepernick has not played a great game this year. He has played well enough to win but compared to some of his games last year...not so much. When he gets it going the team should take a jump. Consider he has one key receiver held over from last year...VD. Everyone else either hasn't proved themselves or are new to the team. If one of the WRs can step up...Baldwin, Moore...Bueller? But even with just Boldin and VD the team has won two games and they were in the other two until the fourth quarter.

I think they need to win ugly until Manningham or Crabtree return and then they will go into the playoffs at full strength. Sometimes early adversity turns into playoff victories.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Kaepernick has not played a great game this year. He has played well enough to win but compared to some of his games last year...not so much. When he gets it going the team should take a jump. Consider he has one key receiver held over from last year...VD. Everyone else either hasn't proved themselves or are new to the team. If one of the WRs can step up...Baldwin, Moore...Bueller? But even with just Boldin and VD the team has won two games and they were in the other two until the fourth quarter.

I think they need to win ugly until Manningham or Crabtree return and then they will go into the playoffs at full strength. Sometimes early adversity turns into playoff victories.

Really? Really?! Since win does over 400 yards, 3 TD's and no interceptions not qualify as a great game? And, go ahead and point out that the Packers secondary isn't that good. Fine. But, that doesn't change a thing. Laying that kind of performance on any NFL defense is, by definition, a great game by the QB.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Really? Really?! Since win does over 400 yards, 3 TD's and no interceptions not qualify as a great game? And, go ahead and point out that the Packers secondary isn't that good. Fine. But, that doesn't change a thing. Laying that kind of performance on any NFL defense is, by definition, a great game by the QB.

Don't be so quick to judge! I'm not anti-Kaepernick, my comments demonstrate just how good I believe him to be. Though he played very well, he did not play as well as he played games last season. I really don't care about yards or TDs as much as I care about controlling the game and being a smart player when it comes to all aspects...clock, balance in audibles, etc. It could be that my expectations are too high given the time defenses have now had to watch him, but his physical skill level is just...amazing. Now he must mature in the mental aspects of the game.

The areas I would like to see improved? Touch (which has improved and will continue to improve as it usually does with young, strong armed QBs), clock management, calm pocket awareness, and making decisions quickly...as in when to run. He seems hesitant and I wonder if they stressed staying in the pocket too much with him. Now when he takes off he is being caught by LBs and DEs because he is committing too late. Perhaps the coaches are over thinking or they are just trying to set things up for later in the season...or are concerned for his longevity.

Edit--the bold are your comments, not mine. If you want to start being a poster who asks the questions for others and then slams them for it...well, I'll be very disappointed.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM ]
I'm not judging. I'm simply pointing out that saying Kaepernick has not played a great game this year is a strange statement considering the fact that the last time a Niner QB threw for over 400 yards with 3 TD's and no interceptions was when Montana did it in 1989. You can say Kaepernick still has a lot to improve upon and I agree. You can say his game still needs work and I agree.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not judging. I'm simply pointing out that saying Kaepernick has not played a great game this year is a strange statement considering the fact that the last time a Niner QB threw for over 400 yards with 3 TD's and no interceptions was when Montana did it in 1989. You can say Kaepernick still has a lot to improve upon and I agree. You can say his game still needs work and I agree.

OK...just have different expectations and have never really been yardage bent. Guys like Romo and Rivers can throw for 400 yards and lose...never liked that kind of game.
Hope the Seahawks get beat by the Texans and that the Seahawks ding them up like they did to us. Texans will be tired when playing us. We need some more time to gel.
OK...just have different expectations and have never really been yardage bent. Guys like Romo and Rivers can throw for 400 yards and lose...never liked that kind of game.

but throwing 3 TDs with no picks and beating arguably the best QB in the league is below your expectations?

lol
it's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that Houston will beat SEA & SF in back to back weeks, like a .002% chance of happening.

so hopefully they get their W at home
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I'm Going To Be At This Game And I'm So Pumped For It.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
but throwing 3 TDs with no picks and beating arguably the best QB in the league is below your expectations?

lol

The TDs without an interception is impressive, granted. But yes, I expected CK to have a blowout or two by now with more than 3 TD passes. Didn't expect the same crap at WR though...injuries I mean, not players.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

lol
A high completion percentage and scores of chain moving throws and runs resting the leg of Andy Lee
I sure hope nobody has already put this in our W column....this is going to be a tough one, helped only by NOT playing in Houston.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I sure hope nobody has already put this in our W column....this is going to be a tough one, helped only by NOT playing in Houston.

I sure don't. I'm not saying it's not feasible. I'm just saying that I can let out a heavy sigh of relief once we hit week 6. Brutal start for any team.
[ Edited by PrisonOfGlass on Sep 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone