There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Penalties need to be dealt with now.

• buck
  • Veteran
I brought the number of penalties last week and in a couple of threads so far since the game last.

I think they are a major problem and a good part of the reason we lost yesterday.

Here is an interesting take

"Overall, the 49ers are the second-most penalized team in the league: 25 penalties for 206 yards. Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-2) have more (26 penalties, 220 yards)."

Linebacker Patrick Willis demanded after Sunday's game that his teammates – not coaches — take accountability for this yellow-flag barrage.

"You're going to have some (penalties) for fanatical efforts, but some can be prevented and we need to take ownership of them," Willis said.

Tight end Vernon Davis offered a stark assessment, too.

"If any team continues to stock up the penalties, just penalty after penalty, it can cost you the season if you do it every game," Davis said. "But we're not going to allow that to happen. We're better than that. It was just a game where we just acted instead of thinking."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/09/16/second-most-penalties-in-league-have-created-troubling-trend-for-49ers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Both players and coaches have to take the steps necessary to drastically reduce the number of penalties.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM ]
Patrick needs to be a bit more menacing. "I WILL RIP THE SPLEEN OUT IF THE NEXT PERSON TO COMMIT A PENALTY! (Looks at asomougha)"
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Patrick needs to be a bit more menacing. "I WILL RIP THE SPLEEN OUT IF THE NEXT PERSON TO COMMIT A PENALTY! (Looks at asomougha)"

Ill take that PI over all the dead ball penalties. Looking at you Aldon...
we had this problem last year
  • dj43
  • Veteran
After two seasons in which Harbaugh teams have been among the top 6 most penalized teams in the league, they are on pace to be even higher this season. This is clearly a flaw that Harbaugh does not know how to correct, or else he just doesn't care (I don't believe that).

I am convinced a big part of the penalties is related to Harbaugh very intense, often highly emotional persona and sideline behavior. I have observed a lot of coaches in my life, though mostly at the HS, and in each case, teams are a reflection of their coach. Highly emotional coaches have highly emotional teams that often find it hard to control their behavior.

Bill Walsh used to say that a coach MUST be calm in the heart of the storm. Walsh's calm was his trade mark and his teams' low number of penalties followed. Harbaugh is the exact opposite.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Ill take that PI over all the dead ball penalties. Looking at you Aldon...

turning point..............
  • buck
  • Veteran
I know,

Last year, we were third in the league with 126 penalties. Our offense had 66 penalties for 515 yards; our defense 60 for 585 yards.

We were second with yards lost due to penalties. (1,103). Last year, Crabtree had 1,105 receiving yards.
Originally posted by buck:
I know,

Last year, we were third in the league with 126 penalties. Our offense had 66 penalties for 515 yards; our defense 60 for 585 yards.

We were second with yards lost due to penalties. (1,103). Last year, Crabtree had 1,105 receiving yards.

fixed
lol Bucs #1. goldson killin fools out there.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Helping his team win games, right.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Helping his team win games, right.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9680260/nfl-mulls-ban-dashon-goldson-tampa-bay-buccaneers-latest-hit
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
All night long the Niners retaliated to the SeaChicken players and got caught. But in most cases SeaChicken threw the first slap/punch. Do you think they are coached to hit first and do nothing in an effort to provoke the retalitation i.e. to play dirty? Maybe a stupid question because ultimately I belive it to be true, based on how they are coached to mug the WRs.

This is just even more reason to HATE Pete.

I normally cheer for any team/coach that is part of the Walsh coaching tree, so now I have interest in Trestman and the Bears but with Pete, no way. And it killed me to see Ken Norton Jr on the sidelines. Ugh I Hate Seattle and Pete.

My hate used to go

Cowgirls
Raiders
Then all division rivals

Now the Seachickens are by far the most hated team ever.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171051-penalties-something-work-next-year/search=penalties#reply

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff16m
A MAJOR problem going on with the #49ers right now - 23 penalties, tied w/ Tampa. Not a category you desire to be in

Something tells me this isn't just a problem that players will get grumpy about and expect it to immediately fix itself. Player discipline (highlighted by last night's game) and Kap's delay of game penalties have to go.

Agree fix this, fix the running game, the lack of tackling. And take the weight of colin don't make him into a 400 yard passer, give the kid time to grow up and have this talented team give him that time.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Goldson suspended one game.

I wonder if his propensity for illegal hits had anything do with his departure from the 49ers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000245902/article/dashon-goldson-suspended-one-game-by-nfl-for-hit