There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My thoughts from another thread.



I have to say I'm INCREDIBLY disappointed at the lack of preparedness on the part of the coaching and offensive gameplan. The defense looked great, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the 49ers defense made Russell Wilson look like a 3rd round rookie starting his first NFL game for the vast majority of the game. Having a healthy Aldon and Justin certainly helped but the gameplan was to keep Wilson contained and keep him in the pocket as much as possible and it worked, damn well, like a blueprint for the rest of the NFL in shutting that offense down. However, a defense can only do so much when they keep being put in bad positions because of offensive turnovers and bonehead penalties.


Looking at the turnover situation, this defense played REMARKABLY well last night, a hell of a game overall. But the offense, that was an embarrassment. Roman looked like he was simply winging it, no innovation, no creativity, absolutely nothing to challenge the defense or to get Seattle out of their comfort zone. Seattle imposed their will on this offense and they looked utterly pathetic, like they were happy to rest on their laurels after the Green Bay game. Roman seemed like he had bought into the hype and seemed to be trying to replicate the gameplan against Green Bay....against a FAR better secondary. It was an absolute joke, this was a team that had curb-stomped the 49ers the last time they played and the offensive gameplanning was essentially mailed in.


It's results like last night's why I think Roman is incredibly overrated. He'll put together some tremendous gameplans against flawed defenses such as Buffalo last year, as well as Chicago, who in spite of their success and racking up turnovers early on, were highly overrated defensively. Green Bay this year, I'm sure he'll put together a brilliant gameplan to light up a spotty Colts defense this weekend, but when this guy gets put on the spot, when he truly has to gameplan against a high quality defense, he routinely craps his pants and puts together a mediocre gameplan. You can't say that isn't true either, this team simply goes into the fetal position against top-tier defenses, doesn't even look like the same team out there, just highly predictable playcalls that good defenses eat up.


You can only get away with that so much. What they've been doing against Seattle the last two times, flat out has not worked. I'm hoping, that they don't plan on hitting their heads against a wall the third time and expecting that the possible return of Manningham and Crabtree will all of a sudden make everything alright. They need to attack Seattle in a vastly different fashion than they do against a majority of teams. Seattle's defense is ideally setup to shutdown this team's normal offensive playcalling and that defense gets up for games against the 49ers like crazy.


I agree with most of what you said, except a minor quibble on the defense. Yes, they did do a great job of putting pressure on RW and save for a couple big plays made him look rather pedestrian. However, I haven't had to stomach to re-watch the game or even look at the stats, but the Seahawks had to be close to 190-200 yds on the ground. They pretty much did the Niners a favor when they would try to run wide, because the 49ers were able to shut that down. But they gashed the Niners with RO runs up the middle with both Lynch and Turbin. On almost every snap where they ran the RO you could see the DL getting blown off the LOS a good 1-2 yards, and their guards mauling Niner LBs. They got A. Smith so geeked on chasing the RB up the middle that he got burned on that 2nd&13 where RW finally did keep it. Again, not saying that overall--considering how they were having to cover for a pathetic 49er offense--that the D didn't play a good game. But there's enough there to be concerned about and hopefully it's addressed and cleaned up.
Hate to see my boys get beat down, but this could be the best thing for him if they have heart, AND THEY DO HAVE HEART. Seattle did their thing in their house. Ok 14 more games to go. The Niners weaknesses were exposed and plenty of time to address them. There is more film on Seattle to analyze. The burden of team to beat transferred to them. Enjoy Seattle! Nice, big chip placed on Niners shoulder, something I think they need. Late season rematch in OUR HOUSE with some big guns returning. Seriously yall. The loss sucks, but this is good medicine.
[ Edited by RedAlert on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Not being able to anticipate Sherman on Boldin shows his lack of preparation. I sat Boldin in my fantasy league because I know the previous stat lines of Boldin against the Hawks. 2 catches for 22, and 1 for 17 when he was on the ravens, If I can figure that sh*t out I would hope our offensive coach could figure that out too.

And the organization should also figure out how to draft WRs...they have come up empty so far...
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My thoughts from another thread.



I have to say I'm INCREDIBLY disappointed at the lack of preparedness on the part of the coaching and offensive gameplan. The defense looked great, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the 49ers defense made Russell Wilson look like a 3rd round rookie starting his first NFL game for the vast majority of the game. Having a healthy Aldon and Justin certainly helped but the gameplan was to keep Wilson contained and keep him in the pocket as much as possible and it worked, damn well, like a blueprint for the rest of the NFL in shutting that offense down. However, a defense can only do so much when they keep being put in bad positions because of offensive turnovers and bonehead penalties.


Looking at the turnover situation, this defense played REMARKABLY well last night, a hell of a game overall. But the offense, that was an embarrassment. Roman looked like he was simply winging it, no innovation, no creativity, absolutely nothing to challenge the defense or to get Seattle out of their comfort zone. Seattle imposed their will on this offense and they looked utterly pathetic, like they were happy to rest on their laurels after the Green Bay game. Roman seemed like he had bought into the hype and seemed to be trying to replicate the gameplan against Green Bay....against a FAR better secondary. It was an absolute joke, this was a team that had curb-stomped the 49ers the last time they played and the offensive gameplanning was essentially mailed in.


It's results like last night's why I think Roman is incredibly overrated. He'll put together some tremendous gameplans against flawed defenses such as Buffalo last year, as well as Chicago, who in spite of their success and racking up turnovers early on, were highly overrated defensively. Green Bay this year, I'm sure he'll put together a brilliant gameplan to light up a spotty Colts defense this weekend, but when this guy gets put on the spot, when he truly has to gameplan against a high quality defense, he routinely craps his pants and puts together a mediocre gameplan. You can't say that isn't true either, this team simply goes into the fetal position against top-tier defenses, doesn't even look like the same team out there, just highly predictable playcalls that good defenses eat up.


You can only get away with that so much. What they've been doing against Seattle the last two times, flat out has not worked. I'm hoping, that they don't plan on hitting their heads against a wall the third time and expecting that the possible return of Manningham and Crabtree will all of a sudden make everything alright. They need to attack Seattle in a vastly different fashion than they do against a majority of teams. Seattle's defense is ideally setup to shutdown this team's normal offensive playcalling and that defense gets up for games against the 49ers like crazy.


I agree with most of what you said, except a minor quibble on the defense. Yes, they did do a great job of putting pressure on RW and save for a couple big plays made him look rather pedestrian. However, I haven't had to stomach to re-watch the game or even look at the stats, but the Seahawks had to be close to 190-200 yds on the ground. They pretty much did the Niners a favor when they would try to run wide, because the 49ers were able to shut that down. But they gashed the Niners with RO runs up the middle with both Lynch and Turbin. On almost every snap where they ran the RO you could see the DL getting blown off the LOS a good 1-2 yards, and their guards mauling Niner LBs. They got A. Smith so geeked on chasing the RB up the middle that he got burned on that 2nd&13 where RW finally did keep it. Again, not saying that overall--considering how they were having to cover for a pathetic 49er offense--that the D didn't play a good game. But there's enough there to be concerned about and hopefully it's addressed and cleaned up.

Yup this is the concern that I have for the defense as well. The runs up the middle were killing us. The nose tackle and inside linebacker position play was not very good. I'm worried that we are really missing Sopoaga. In 2011 you didn't run on the 49ers period. Last year it was still very difficult for teams, but our run defense wasn't quite as good. I hope the run D isn't regressing again.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 72
Can somebody tell me what happened to the Niners defense after the first half of the patriots game last year they went from one of the best to one of the worst I love all the guys on the D but they are not playing on the level they once were. It's almost like they no longer have that chip on your shoulder you need to have to be dominant they played good the first two games this year but not dominant . Seattle D is playing with that chip with something to prove it would be nice to see that from the niners again .
The O on the other hand is scoring way more points per game with Kap , the game plan for Seattle was not engineered very well and the pour play calling probably could not have been executed much better minus trying to force some passes . Hopefully Roman can do some better game planing for the next time these two teams meet. GO NINERS!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,027
I hate getting owned by that ugly woman (carroll) and his circus freaks!!! I hope those CAWK suckers never win a SB and all their CAWK loving fans lose their voices completely!!!!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:


I agree with most of what you said, except a minor quibble on the defense. Yes, they did do a great job of putting pressure on RW and save for a couple big plays made him look rather pedestrian. However, I haven't had to stomach to re-watch the game or even look at the stats, but the Seahawks had to be close to 190-200 yds on the ground. They pretty much did the Niners a favor when they would try to run wide, because the 49ers were able to shut that down. But they gashed the Niners with RO runs up the middle with both Lynch and Turbin. On almost every snap where they ran the RO you could see the DL getting blown off the LOS a good 1-2 yards, and their guards mauling Niner LBs. They got A. Smith so geeked on chasing the RB up the middle that he got burned on that 2nd&13 where RW finally did keep it. Again, not saying that overall--considering how they were having to cover for a pathetic 49er offense--that the D didn't play a good game. But there's enough there to be concerned about and hopefully it's addressed and cleaned up.

Yup this is the concern that I have for the defense as well. The runs up the middle were killing us. The nose tackle and inside linebacker position play was not very good. I'm worried that we are really missing Sopoaga. In 2011 you didn't run on the 49ers period. Last year it was still very difficult for teams, but our run defense wasn't quite as good. I hope the run D isn't regressing again.

I know just the stats won't tell the whole story, but even in the GB game they completely stoned Lacy in the 1st half, think he had maybe 4-5 yards. But in the second half he started to get consistent 5-6 yds/rush, ended up with 42. Nothing that was red-flag worthy, but still something that was noticeable. It's hard, but I try not to look back to that 2011 run D too much because so many things clicked, the takeaways, nearly flawless play up the middle, a very good secondary, things that you just don't get every year. But there's still some very good pieces, and the front 7 is the strength, but we know some bad things can happen if they start to consistently get dominated in the middle.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM ]
My thoughts' it might very well be the saddest Niner game I have ever seen, including heart breaking losses at home in playoff games, etc..today it's just all about sadness for me.. such a flail for a team that had such high expectations.. I would think there has be major doubt in the locker room today and during the week; you just can't shrug this off. Neither can I..
Pretty good analysis right here

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-film-study-looking-deeper-seattle-win-024816301--nfl.html
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Pretty good analysis right here

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-film-study-looking-deeper-seattle-win-024816301--nfl.html

That is a great breakdown by Cosell. Confirms what many of us suspected. Thanks for sharing.
Has Greg Roman & Co.'s bag of tricks been emptied? It seems like when they returned to the NFL from the college ranks they brought some unfamiliarity, whether it was college concepts or rehashed relics from decades ago. I remember Sunday night broadcasts when Gruden would break down a long list of such plays, and then remark about how different they were.

And then we went to the Super Bowl, went three straight pass plays in the endzone to lose, and the league has had a target on our back's for two offseasons now.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Has Greg Roman & Co.'s bag of tricks been emptied? It seems like when they returned to the NFL from the college ranks they brought some unfamiliarity, whether it was college concepts or rehashed relics from decades ago. I remember Sunday night broadcasts when Gruden would break down a long list of such plays, and then remark about how different they were.

And then we went to the Super Bowl, went three straight pass plays in the endzone to lose, and the league has had a target on our back's for two offseasons now.

It doesn't really matter if they're out of tricks. Tricks never last long. In order to have sustained success you must play to your strengths, and know how to manipulate the defense into creating favorable matchups. I think our coaches can do that at a high level.

I think we tried to play to our strengths against Seattle, but we had trouble creating favorable matchups partly because of the crowd noise effecting communication, as well as a talented D that won their one-on-one matchups.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM ]
Originally posted by RedAlert:
Hate to see my boys get beat down, but this could be the best thing for him if they have heart, AND THEY DO HAVE HEART. Seattle did their thing in their house. Ok 14 more games to go. The Niners weaknesses were exposed and plenty of time to address them. There is more film on Seattle to analyze. The burden of team to beat transferred to them. Enjoy Seattle! Nice, big chip placed on Niners shoulder, something I think they need. Late season rematch in OUR HOUSE with some big guns returning. Seriously yall. The loss sucks, but this is good medicine.

Others are saying this too except; Seahags will have all their defense linemen back who are their best rushers, like better than the one that just kicked our olines a$$, and they will have Harvin back I think..only thing that make the rematch any more positive is we are at home, that is all..
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,221
it hurts the game of football to have so much one-sided noise. you're artificially altering competitive balance. isn't fair play very important to quality? this 12th man stuff is bs. football is 11 men. who wants to win because of an unfair advantage? i don't.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Pretty good analysis right here

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-film-study-looking-deeper-seattle-win-024816301--nfl.html

For the most part the D played well vs Wilson. Offense didn't help with anything.

If anybody can ask MM on Twitter what the 49ers were doing during the 1 hour delay Because what they mentioned during the Nbc broadcast Tafoya said: 49ers players were relaxing listening to music and just chilling..
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home