LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was about to say, Marvin. If you actually watched it again it would have been mad props.
Originally posted by rondoman:
I got a serious question here.

Has there ever been a time in the Harbaugh era where the Niners have come into a game with a gameplan that continued to fail and adjustments were made?

I really get the feeling that Harbaugh and staff are almost so egotistical that they stick to the gameplan at all costs, no matter what is happening on the field.

Love Harbaugh, great coach, but in my opinion his major weakness is in game adjustments. When something isn't working they seem to stick to it no matter what is happening on the field, and last nite was a prime example of that.

We even saw a little bit last week defensively against Green Bay where our Db's would be playing 10-15 yards off their receivers and we got burned on quick outs over and over and over.

This team just seems to stick to the original gameplan no matter what, and it's very frustrating to see.

Interestingly enough I think most of the brilliant in game adjustments came in the 2011 season....

@ Philly - Smith comes out throwing in the 3rd quarter
Giants in NFCC - Fangio comes up with a blitzing scheme that shuts down Elias completely after allowing Cruz to dominate 1st half

Then last year, Seahawks game at Candlestick. The adjustments to move the ball effectively both air and ground.
On the bright side, I don't think 2 many teams are gonna wanna try read-option on us after they see what Brooks did 2 Wilson .
WHY would we come out in the Pistol formation by our own Goal line? If you are THAT close to the goal line.. aren't you trying to do your best to play outside of it, just because of everything that can go wrong? Usually teams will just run run run, and hope to create space for their punter..but if they can get a 1st down perfect...but you rarely see shotgun formations.

I don't mind that we tried to pass and get a first down...but again, its like its pistol formation no matter what...instead of assessing what ever situation we are in. Our RBs were losing 2 yards most on our 1st downs runs out of the pistol.

edit- this was about the holding call on Miller that resorted in a Safety, because Kap was still behind the Goal line
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
WHY would we come out in the Pistol formation by our own Goal line? If you are THAT close to the goal line.. aren't you trying to do your best to play outside of it, just because of everything that can go wrong? Usually teams will just run run run, and hope to create space for their punter..but if they can get a 1st down perfect...but you rarely see shotgun formations.

I don't mind that we tried to pass and get a first down...but again, its like its pistol formation no matter what...instead of assessing what ever situation we are in. Our RBs were losing 2 yards most on our 1st downs runs out of the pistol.

edit- this was about the holding call on Miller that resorted in a Safety, because Kap was still behind the Goal line

Harbaugh is still new to this league and has a lot to learn.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
anyone know what anthony davis is weighing these days? he looked like melissa mccarthy trying to kick slide.
The Seahawks were sending very basic pressure all night long. Only 4 rushers, sometimes as little as 3. Everyone else was back in coverage.

What does Harbaugh and Roman do? Instead of giving Kap more passing options, they limit him to 2 WR and 1 TE. For heaven's sake we had Bruce Miller splitting out wide trying to get open on that secondary. Why not more receivers, or more McDonald? Why not spread the field and force Seattle to move away from an 8 man box?
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Nice recap as usual Marv, I still feel like crap.

This.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
On the bright side, I don't think 2 many teams are gonna wanna try read-option on us after they see what Brooks did 2 Wilson .

Yeah that was a pretty stout hit.
Thanks Marvin, great analysis as always. If you can keep 7 or 8 in the box the entire game and don't allow opposing receivers any space, that's a good recipe for victory. If the running backs could have gotten past the line of scrimmage there was open space down field. The noise was the biggest factor. We'll be okay.

Gameplan? Was there one? I didn't see it.
We will be fine, the fans that take this loss too seriously need to man the f*ck up and realize its football.

Great job as always, not worried about the loss at all, the Seahawks are the only team that matches up well with us at home, I wanna see them do it to us on our own field then Ill believe this is something to worry about.

Ill say it again, if YOU HAVE PLAYED any football in your lifetime you would realize the huge hurdle the niners faced in not being able to hear the QB at the line. The chicken littles that think the season is over havent played sh*t and it shows.
Originally posted by HALCIONDAZE:
Gameplan? Was there one? I didn't see it.

Get your eyes checked.
Originally posted by 5280High:
We will be fine, the fans that take this loss too seriously need to man the f*ck up and realize its football.

Great job as always, not worried about the loss at all, the Seahawks are the only team that matches up well with us at home, I wanna see them do it to us on our own field then Ill believe this is something to worry about.

Ill say it again, if YOU HAVE PLAYED any football in your lifetime you would realize the huge hurdle the niners faced in not being able to hear the QB at the line. The chicken littles that think the season is over havent played sh*t and it shows.

The problem is they could lose to us at the Stick and still get homefield. It all depends on how they play in their other road games.
[ Edited by Kaepernick2014 on Sep 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Kaepernick2014:
Originally posted by 5280High:

The problem is they could lose to us at the Stick and still get homefield. It all depends on how they play in their other road games.

Then thats our fault... If they lose to us and get homefield then that means the niners didnt do enough during the season. Its 16 games, 1 loss doesnt mean sh*t no matter who it was too or how bad. The Patriots lost to the Bills 30-0 during their second superbowl run, but it was early in the season... they repaid the favor in the rematch and won 30-0 over the Bills on their way to a second superbowl.

Thats the glory of football, anything can happen and it doesnt take much for a game to be close or to get out of hand.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone