There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I-Formation, Two TE and Jumbo package.....anyone remember these?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Seriously! Going with the read-option against a defense that WANTS to kill your QB? We are lucky CK didn't get hurt...seriously. We might have the two best TE's in the game and only used one. When we used the other he ran over Dick Sherman like a truck and then ONLY went back to him once VD got hurt. I'm pretty sure Hunter played one snap last night. LOL. The bigger difference was that when Wilson had to scramble, he had plenty of dump-off options. We had NOTHING. There would be 20+ yards between the LOS and our closest WR. You allow smaller guys like Williams and Patton to play man and get man-handled? How about run them from the slot or out of the Q formation. How about instead of handing off on a fake reverse we actually RUN the reverse and see what happens with one of our speedsters. Two TE's in the passing game together would be nice (one clears out while the other drops down in the zone). How about ONE positive, short play call on 1st down? Just humor me...would love to see something other than a 2nd and 17 play. Wouldn't a 2nd and 5 be cool, fans? I thought last year we played vanilla up there but this was even more vanilla (I didn't even know this was possible).
McDonald...Seriously NC? You really think he's one the best TEs in the game.

Yea I would really like to know what that was about. He was healthy I believe. Idk though. He played one snap and it was so clearly a run to the left. s**t I knew it was a run to left.

Man they gave up on this one.

We had Miller and Gore. Kaep overthrew Gore. He under threw Boldin and Miller. Miller actually converted a quick dish off into a 15+ gain.

Seriously I feel like I was watching a differnt game then you people. I saw tons of 2TE 2WR sets. Chancellor dealt with VD and the LBs played great zone/man.

We need to spread it out more. Overwhelm the defense with numbers and someone is bound to get open. We have an Oline that can single block anyone thrown at them. We should be passing our way to victory.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Seriously! Going with the read-option against a defense that WANTS to kill your QB? We are lucky CK didn't get hurt...seriously. We might have the two best TE's in the game and only used one. When we used the other he ran over Dick Sherman like a truck and then ONLY went back to him once VD got hurt. I'm pretty sure Hunter played one snap last night. LOL. The bigger difference was that when Wilson had to scramble, he had plenty of dump-off options. We had NOTHING. There would be 20+ yards between the LOS and our closest WR. You allow smaller guys like Williams and Patton to play man and get man-handled? How about run them from the slot or out of the Q formation. How about instead of handing off on a fake reverse we actually RUN the reverse and see what happens with one of our speedsters. Two TE's in the passing game together would be nice (one clears out while the other drops down in the zone). How about ONE positive, short play call on 1st down? Just humor me...would love to see something other than a 2nd and 17 play. Wouldn't a 2nd and 5 be cool, fans? I thought last year we played vanilla up there but this was even more vanilla (I didn't even know this was possible).
McDonald...Seriously NC? You really think he's one the best TEs in the game.

Yea I would really like to know what that was about. He was healthy I believe. Idk though. He played one snap and it was so clearly a run to the left. s**t I knew it was a run to left.

Man they gave up on this one.

We had Miller and Gore. Kaep overthrew Gore. He under threw Boldin and Miller. Miller actually converted a quick dish off into a 15+ gain.

Seriously I feel like I was watching a differnt game then you people. I saw tons of 2TE 2WR sets. Chancellor dealt with VD and the LBs played great zone/man.

We need to spread it out more. Overwhelm the defense with numbers and someone is bound to get open. We have an Oline that can single block anyone thrown at them. We should be passing our way to victory.

I think McDonald's skill set is off the charts and if used correctly, there may not be two better TE's in the game. And they compliment each other very well too.

I may have to rewatch the game again (I know, I know) but it sure didn't seem like we were running both VD and McDonald (who I predicted to have a huge game with all the added attention to Boldin and VD).

You are right on several occasions, Miller or Gore were outlets and CK just couldn't hit them. He threw when he s/h run and run when he s/h passed. But we didn't have a true outlet ala the WCO. It was more of CK scrambling and Gore deciding if he'd block or flare out for CK on the run. It wasn't like we had McDonald dropping down in the soft zones as a nice outlet in case the deeper stuff wasn't open.

And no doubt, spreading them out was working some there at the end. But that first down play calling (and zero production; mostly negative yards) lead to VERY predictable 2nd's and longs playing right into their defensive style (press) and pass rush.
the trap and wham blocking schemes....... need those back.
Originally posted by eonblue:
McDonald...Seriously NC? You really think he's one the best TEs in the game.

Yea I would really like to know what that was about. He was healthy I believe. Idk though. He played one snap and it was so clearly a run to the left. s**t I knew it was a run to left.

Man they gave up on this one.

We had Miller and Gore. Kaep overthrew Gore. He under threw Boldin and Miller. Miller actually converted a quick dish off into a 15+ gain.

Seriously I feel like I was watching a differnt game then you people. I saw tons of 2TE 2WR sets. Chancellor dealt with VD and the LBs played great zone/man.

We need to spread it out more. Overwhelm the defense with numbers and someone is bound to get open. We have an Oline that can single block anyone thrown at them. We should be passing our way to victory.

Spread out the best secondary in the NFL?
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by eonblue:
McDonald...Seriously NC? You really think he's one the best TEs in the game.

Yea I would really like to know what that was about. He was healthy I believe. Idk though. He played one snap and it was so clearly a run to the left. s**t I knew it was a run to left.

Man they gave up on this one.

We had Miller and Gore. Kaep overthrew Gore. He under threw Boldin and Miller. Miller actually converted a quick dish off into a 15+ gain.

Seriously I feel like I was watching a differnt game then you people. I saw tons of 2TE 2WR sets. Chancellor dealt with VD and the LBs played great zone/man.

We need to spread it out more. Overwhelm the defense with numbers and someone is bound to get open. We have an Oline that can single block anyone thrown at them. We should be passing our way to victory.

Spread out the best secondary in the NFL?

Yes you spread them out! It's not just about the secondary, it's also about moving Seattle out of their 8 man box. They shut down our run with numbers. Their secondary had an easy time because we didn't have enough pass catchers on a given play. Too much talent in that secondary to beat them with only 2 or 3 pass catchers. Spread them out, mix in the run, and watch everything open up. Instead we ran into a brick wall and wouldn't spread the field to get breathing room.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM ]
To me this was the major flaw in the gameplan. We need to get back to our base offense and give Frank and Kendall a real shot. It can help Kaep in a big game like that too.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yes you spread them out! It's not just about the secondary, it's also about moving Seattle out of their 8 man box. They shut down our run with numbers. Their secondary had an easy time because we didn't have enough pass catchers on a given play. Too much talent in that secondary to beat them with only 2 or 3 pass catchers. Spread them out, mix in the run, and watch everything open up. Instead we ran into a brick wall and wouldn't spread the field to get breathing room.

We ran lots of spread and multiple receiver sets last night. We needed to push that pile and make those safeties worry about more than Vernon and Boldin. Seattle stuck with the run and when we broke down up front they ran away with the game.
[ Edited by VA49er on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yes you spread them out! It's not just about the secondary, it's also about moving Seattle out of their 8 man box. They shut down our run with numbers. Their secondary had an easy time because we didn't have enough pass catchers on a given play. Too much talent in that secondary to beat them with only 2 or 3 pass catchers. Spread them out, mix in the run, and watch everything open up. Instead we ran into a brick wall and wouldn't spread the field to get breathing room.

We ran lots of spread and multiple receiver sets last night. We needed to push that pile and make those safeties worry about more than Vernon and Boldin. Seattle stuck with the run and when we broke down up front they ran away with the game.

We hardly ran any spread. Seattle DID, and they had more room to run because of it.

Take a look at the WR snap counts for both teams:

SF WR snaps:

Boldin 53
Williams 46
Patton 14
Moore 10

SEA WR snaps:

Tate 56
Rice 54
Baldwin 44
Kearse 27

See the difference? Seattle spread the field with multiple 3 and 4 WR alignments and created breathing room to run. We ran 2 WR/2 TE, or 2 WR/1 TE/1 FB all game in tight formations and never forced Seattle to move away from keeping 8 in the box. The offensive gameplan yesterday was a disgrace. Calling power runs is not the solution. You can't just simply move the pile and run down hill at will. That approach is what got Singletary fired.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
We need to get back to these types of plays when we're playing a great defense such as Seattle who's secondary is their strength. I can't believe Harbaugh and Roman decided to give up on Gore after just 9 rushing plays. We can't beat teams like the Seahawks with Kap's arm and the read option. We need to see Big Vance and VD lined up at the same time and some I formation plays.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We hardly ran any spread. Seattle DID, and they had more room to run because of it.

Take a look at the WR snap counts for both teams:

SF WR snaps:

Boldin 53
Williams 46
Patton 14
Moore 10

SEA WR snaps:

Tate 56
Rice 54
Baldwin 44
Kearse 27

See the difference? Seattle spread the field with multiple 3 and 4 WR alignments and created breathing room to run. We ran 2 WR/2 TE, or 2 WR/1 TE/1 FB all game in tight formations and never forced Seattle to move away from keeping 8 in the box. The offensive gameplan yesterday was a disgrace. Calling power runs is not the solution. You can't just simply move the pile and run down hill at will. That approach is what got Singletary fired.

Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

He can take away half the field when you only put ONE receiver on that side. That's the point of the spread, more passing options means more DBs not named Sherman on the field, and prevent Seattle from loading the box. We did exactly what Seattle wanted us to do. Run into their 8 man box and not spread the field with multiples WRs.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

He can take away half the field when you only put ONE receiver on that side. That's the point of the spread, more passing options means more DBs not named Sherman on the field, and prevent Seattle from loading the box. We did exactly what Seattle wanted us to do. Run into their 8 man box and not spread the field with multiples WRs.

Other than Boldin and V Davis, who do we have that can match up well with their secondaries?

I'll give you a few minutes to think about that.

- 98
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

He can take away half the field when you only put ONE receiver on that side. That's the point of the spread, more passing options means more DBs not named Sherman on the field, and prevent Seattle from loading the box. We did exactly what Seattle wanted us to do. Run into their 8 man box and not spread the field with multiples WRs.

Other than Boldin and V Davis, who do we have that can match up well with their secondaries?

I'll give you a few minutes to think about that.

- 98

until Harbs actually tries somebody out, we have no idea
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

He can take away half the field when you only put ONE receiver on that side. That's the point of the spread, more passing options means more DBs not named Sherman on the field, and prevent Seattle from loading the box. We did exactly what Seattle wanted us to do. Run into their 8 man box and not spread the field with multiples WRs.

Other than Boldin and V Davis, who do we have that can match up well with their secondaries?

I'll give you a few minutes to think about that.

- 98

You increase the snap count for Patton and Moore. Just the simple fact that you put more WRs on field will force Seattle to adjust. Do you honestly think Seattle will load 8 in the box against a spread formation? NO. They will be forced to account for a quicker, faster player. The box will not be as crowded. We can then mix in the run.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

He can take away half the field when you only put ONE receiver on that side. That's the point of the spread, more passing options means more DBs not named Sherman on the field, and prevent Seattle from loading the box. We did exactly what Seattle wanted us to do. Run into their 8 man box and not spread the field with multiples WRs.

Other than Boldin and V Davis, who do we have that can match up well with their secondaries?

I'll give you a few minutes to think about that.

- 98

until Harbs actually tries somebody out, we have no idea

Granted, they have a sick aZz secondary but damn. All the WR yesterday were blanketed... Pretty much the whole game.

- 98
...