There are 182 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I-Formation, Two TE and Jumbo package.....anyone remember these?

What the hell happened to these plays?
our coaching staff is great, however, sometimes, especially in big games early in the season it seems like we get too cute/smart for our own good and go away from what we are good at. It's almost like they think the other team knows what we are good at so we go away from it and try to trick the other team. That's okay sometimes but we need to unleash Kaep, meaning let him run more, get Gore in power I situations and utilize Kendall Hunter.

Another HUGE problem for this team in this game at least was the WR play. We are a different team right now if we had a healthy Crabtree and Manningham, not to mention LMJ.
It seems like were in the midst of an identity crisis.
Originally posted by matt49er:
our coaching staff is great, however, sometimes, especially in big games early in the season it seems like we get too cute/smart for our own good and go away from what we are good at. It's almost like they think the other team knows what we are good at so we go away from it and try to trick the other team. That's okay sometimes but we need to unleash Kaep, meaning let him run more, get Gore in power I situations and utilize Kendall Hunter.

Another HUGE problem for this team in this game at least was the WR play. We are a different team right now if we had a healthy Crabtree and Manningham, not to mention LMJ.

Agree. We're inconsistent at times because we run a schizophrenic offense. HarRoman outsmart themselves sometimes. I also think they are very stubborn. The offensive packages they ran tonight were like the exact opposite of what you want to do against a defense like this.
Originally posted by 9erempire:

I think they are out of the playbook essentially, in part due to the fact that kaepernick doesn't seem comfortable taking the ball under center, which also somewhat limits placation passes off fakes
[ Edited by hofer36 on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
I think they are out of the playbook essentially, in part due to the fact that kaepernick doesn't seem comfortable taking the ball under center, which also somewhat limits placation passes off fakes

This is what people said when Kap took over from Alex and I thought Kap showed he can play under center. As a matter of fact, since he took over and up to the Super Bowl, he was taking snaps under center and the team had positive plays.

If he's still not comfortable playing under center than it's a damn shame. I hope we get back to running a more traditional offense and let the running game get involved because Kap is good in the pocket. There is no reason we should run Pistol and Shotgun sets just so he can beat teams with his legs. Forget that crap.

If it's there, he should run but the 9ers should not force the issue. I don't know how many yards they expect Colin to average.
[ Edited by 9erempire on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM ]
We need to start using this, maybe it was to not give the hawks any looks at the runs they have because they assumed it was just going to be a lose and didn't want to give info away, no one ever wins in the hawks home. I hope that's the reason. But as it stands this pistol read option needs to stop. I don't care if kap has -100 by taking sacks all game and not running, as long as gore get's his touches that will open it up for kap and the passing and if he has nothing open than he can take off, but we shouldn't be trying to force these plays to work, sometimes you just needs to go back to the basics, and get him under center, run gore north south, and throw off the play action.
Been wondering the same thing with the I-Formation. It wouldn't kill Harbs and Roman to use it a little more. jeesh the I is where Gore has had his most success.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM ]

Seattle ran 2 TEs as their base offense.

Because of penalties, and a stout Seattle front 7, we lost more yards than we gained on jumbo packages.

With Michael Bennett and Chris Avirl coming off the edges, why not call screens, or throw swings out to the running backs? They were crashing gaps all night long. Oh that's right, we don't call screens....

Actually, we did throw one quick bubble screen to Kyle Williams which gained 6-8 yds. That would be half of Gore's total on the ground.

We were out-coached, plain and simple.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Seattle ran 2 TEs as their base offense.

Because of penalties, and a stout Seattle front 7, we lost more yards than we gained on jumbo packages.

With Michael Bennett and Chris Avirl coming off the edges, why not call screens, or throw swings out to the running backs? They were crashing gaps all night long. Oh that's right, we don't call screens....

Actually, we did throw one quick bubble screen to Kyle Williams which gained 6-8 yds. That would be half of Gore's total on the ground.

We were out-coached, plain and simple.

good points.

You also made me remember our Wheel Route. Too bad we don't have Delanie because that was his play.
They require Kaep to be under center...
Ah, the usual post loss panic. I seem to remember quite a many folks complaining last year because we ran the jumbo sets too much and got nothing. Now were not running it enough. Oh football season, how I miss thee
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
We need to start using this, maybe it was to not give the hawks any looks at the runs they have because they assumed it was just going to be a lose and didn't want to give info away, no one ever wins in the hawks home. I hope that's the reason. But as it stands this pistol read option needs to stop. I don't care if kap has -100 by taking sacks all game and not running, as long as gore get's his touches that will open it up for kap and the passing and if he has nothing open than he can take off, but we shouldn't be trying to force these plays to work, sometimes you just needs to go back to the basics, and get him under center, run gore north south, and throw off the play action.

I hear that and this would consume much of the clock and get Seattle out of synch and to start to wear their defense down. I so agree with this idea, also in establishing that the basics can be relied on, it will put a lot of pressure on these other teams, because in this day and age, at lease my interpretation, is that a team needs to establish with other clubs of what they won't be able to run against the 49ers. And from that point, the 49ers will be able to build and create schemes to run towards the later part of games. Seattle can be beaten in their own stadium, I think what is more important though, is for a team not to beat themselves. In watching that game, I think part of the issue is that they were trying to make such a complicated offensive scheme, with all of the shifts and everything before the snap, that it is really working against them.
We were in a street fight and lost.

Obviously we need to game plan them differently.

That 12th man stuff is true - it definitely had an effect. That said, losses like that one will cause some deep soul searching on our coaching staff to attack the situation.

I'm really looking forward to the rematch in our neighborhood.

Seriously! Going with the read-option against a defense that WANTS to kill your QB? We are lucky CK didn't get hurt...seriously. We might have the two best TE's in the game and only used one. When we used the other he ran over Dick Sherman like a truck and then ONLY went back to him once VD got hurt. I'm pretty sure Hunter played one snap last night. LOL. The bigger difference was that when Wilson had to scramble, he had plenty of dump-off options. We had NOTHING. There would be 20+ yards between the LOS and our closest WR. You allow smaller guys like Williams and Patton to play man and get man-handled? How about run them from the slot or out of the Q formation. How about instead of handing off on a fake reverse we actually RUN the reverse and see what happens with one of our speedsters. Two TE's in the passing game together would be nice (one clears out while the other drops down in the zone). How about ONE positive, short play call on 1st down? Just humor me...would love to see something other than a 2nd and 17 play. Wouldn't a 2nd and 5 be cool, fans? I thought last year we played vanilla up there but this was even more vanilla (I didn't even know this was possible).