There are 272 users in the forums

It's time to unleash the WEST COAST OFFENSE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Enough is enough of the Pistol sets. We cannot abandon our bread and butter because Colin can run. Our running game is better than Colin's ability to run. We need to stop getting into the shotgun or Pistol because it's not fooling anyone. Playing under center is still the best and much more deceiving where the run game is easier to establish. I don't know about most fans but I'm getting sick and tired of this Pistol.

We were actually a better team with Alex than we are with Colin. Colin's a better QB but that also forces us to use sets that we shouldn't be using.
agree
The pistol is a fad and if the 49ers can't play under center and establish the run then they are DONE!
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Enough is enough of the Pistol sets. We cannot abandon our bread and butter because Colin can run. Our running game is better than Colin's ability to run. We need to stop getting into the shotgun or Pistol because it's not fooling anyone. Playing under center is still the best and much more deceiving where the run game is easier to establish. I don't know about most fans but I'm getting sick and tired of this Pistol.

We were actually a better team with Alex than we are with Colin. Colin's a better QB but that also forces us to use sets that we shouldn't be using.

This is a beautifully well conceived point. I HATE the read option. It is a distraction.

BTW, where did Colin get his rushing yards? By SCRAMBLING. Not from the read-option.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

This is a beautifully well conceived point. I HATE the read option. It is a distraction.

BTW, where did Colin get his rushing yards? By SCRAMBLING. Not from the read-option.

exactly. run a normal offense like we did with smith and let kaep escape when he needs to like russell wilson does. read option only weakens us because it takes gore out of the game. hes much more effective in pro sets
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
exactly. run a normal offense like we did with smith and let kaep escape when he needs to like russell wilson does. read option only weakens us because it takes gore out of the game. hes much more effective in pro sets

The read option should be used to catch a team off guard, like we did with Green Bay last year. It's not a play you can build your entire offense around.

Go back to a traditional offense, stick Miller in front of GoreHunter and use more man blocking and just keep ramming the football down the opponents throat.
I'm glad a lot of people came on this thread and agreeing. I know people like to say it's not the Pistol sets that are holding us back but it is. Colin's strength is the team's weakness.

When we had a more traditional QB like Alex, who could run too but not like Colin, it allowed us to be in more traditional sets that opened up the playbook with personnel. We are now so consume with this Pistol option that a lot of guys don't get to see playing time. Last year, we had so many different guys playing, this year we barely used the talent we had.
Agreed.

Starting to feel like, live by the pistol, die by the pistol.

We have to get back to our 2011 style imo. The pistol is there if and when we need it but please get back to power running, play action, long sustained drives that gives our D rest, etc.
I'm glad a lot of people came on this thread and agreeing. I know people like to say it's not the Pistol sets that are holding us back but it is. Colin's strength is the team's weakness.

When we had a more traditional QB like Alex, who could run too but not like Colin, it allowed us to be in more traditional sets that opened up the playbook with personnel. We are now so consume with this Pistol option that a lot of guys don't get to see playing time. Last year, we had so many different guys playing, this year we barely used the talent we had.

Well said. Good point

Colin's greatest strength is from the pocket.

A perfect example is, Seattle. The Seahawks are betting us by doing everything we used to do, but being better at it.
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Agreed.

Starting to feel like, live by the pistol, die by the pistol.

We have to get back to our 2011 style imo. The pistol is there if and when we need it but please get back to power running, play action, long sustained drives that gives our D rest, etc.

That year our offense was so beautiful. Very innovative running scheme and we dominated with possessions. Suddenly, overnight, we became this passing spread option college type offense.
I'm not sure he can read a defense well enough to run the WCO. The coaches are running a system that utilizes his strengths remember?
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Gotta say, love the fact that everyone here seems to see the same thing. Now, the question is, will the coaches adjust?
Agreed. I also think its putting too much pressure on Kap. He is a much better passer. f**k this read option s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone