There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 2 Post Game Analysis

Thoughts on the game...

Obviously the bad parts:
No run game
We lost our composure, way too many personal foul / unsportsmanlike penalties.
We have a good #2 receiver, we don't have a #1 receiver. They have a #1 corner who can own our #2 receiver.
Injuries

Encouraging parts the of the game:
The Seattle offense wasn't impressive against our D either.

In short:
The difference in the game came down to turnovers and penalties. Both of which can be fixed with coaching and preparation in time for our next meeting with them. This game without penalties and turnovers is like a 6-3 Niners win. Our lack of composure (and Seattle's composure) lost us this game for us. We learn from this game and we can be a super bowl team. We complain about calls, and we can be a wild card team. Time to get more mentally tough, starting with the coaches.
I think the play that ended any hope of the 49ers coming back in the game was that b******t personal foul call on Aldon Smith. The 49ers had just driven down the field during the pervious possession and put points on the board, and they were on the verge of forcing the Seahawks to kick a long FG and be down 15-3, worst case scenario. Instead, Aldon Smith shoves that fool and gets flagged for something that had been going on ALL GAME and practically EVERY PLAY. Yet the refs decide to make the call at literally the most crucial part of the game and hand the Seahawks a free first and goal instead of attempting a longish FG.

That has a horrific call and the refs decided to put their fingerprints all over the game after that, which is really a shame. Instead of it being a 12 point game with the momentum being a wash, Seattle puts the nail in the coffin and goes up 16.

Mods can merge this if they want to, just venting here. That call really ticked me off.
Its not complicated at all. There is one reason this game was a blowout. The Niner Offense could DO NOTHING tonight. But thats obvious. The question is WHY?

1. No running game
2. Nobody was getting open
3. Penalties
4. Out-coached

Here are the reasons why I think we were so ineffective in the above categories:

1 & 2 are related. Seattle put 8 in the box. The running game could not develop because they were daring us to throw the ball. Our passing game went to crap. KAp had time to throw and make plays, but NOBODY was open. Boldin was shutdown. Kyle was draped. The Seattle CBs were aggressive and we could not beat them one on one. Kaps INT at the goal line was against a zone, but most of the night Seattle played man and our WRs simply do not have the ability to get open. When you cannot beat man while the defense has 8 in the box, you are NOT going to be effective.

This brings me to 3. This team is not disciplined. Its hard enough to play in that environment, and some of the delay of games are to be expected. But there were numerous penalties (Brooks, Aldon, Nahmdhi, Gore, the Safety, holding) that made it impossible for this team to get into a rhythm. The injuries to Williams and Reid were also problematic. That said, the defense, which simply could not stop the run, still played decent in the first half. But the offense simply never got going and eventually the D could not hold up. Seattle was able to run on us because we played cover 2 all night. The read-option was effective because we could not stop the run up the middle. The loss of Williams really hurt in that regard.

Finally, 4 is the thing that irritates me. Football is a chess match. Seattle countered with 8 in the box. So what did we do? We kept trying the same thing again and again. Put Patton on the field. Bunch formation? Shift to get Boldin into a favorable coverage. Stop running it up the gut with 8 defenders in the box. Do SOMETHING to force them to play fair. Come up with a game plan. Run a screen (which we finally did with Kyle). Run off-tackle, pull on a sweep, do anything to get them to respect the run, and then setup the pass. But none of that can work if the defense doesnt respect your WRs. And frankly, we don't have a counter to man because the Seattle secondary is better than our WRs. Simple as that. Crabtree and Boldin together will get open and allow Kap to throw downfield. But we need a WR that can stretch the field. Until our WRs can get open and beat press, we will see 8 in the box. This is not on Kap, this is on bad game planning and WRs that are not getting open.
It seemed like our game plan started out as "The Bruce Miller Time" extravaganza.

I swear he was lined up wide half the time. WHY are we sending him on WR routes? Are we mistaking him for Marshall Faulk?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It seemed like our game plan started out as "The Bruce Miller Time" extravaganza.

I swear he was lined up wide half the time. WHY are we sending him on WR routes? Are we mistaking him for Marshall Faulk?

The reason we kept seeing passes to Bruce Miller was because Kap was going through his progressions and nobody was open. Bruce was the check down. Further evidence that our WRs cannot get open and Harbaugh needed to modify his plan.
If our Receivers couldn't get open, the basic simple football fundamentals is to get him in motion, get the guy in motion and snap the ball. Receiver would get that head start off the line and this will prevent them from grabbing and pushing.
This week was the other end of the spectrum for us offensively. We faced a horrible GB defense in week 1, and an elite defense in week 2. You cant pinpoint what this offense is by these 2 games.

This is where Crabtree being out KILLS us. Sherman just sat on Boldin all day, and they double covered Davis. There was nothing to throw to. Crabtree wouldve opened things up big time.
we lost because of a bad game plan. we gave up in the running game,we lost the physical battles up front,
Originally posted by calbear:
The reason we kept seeing passes to Bruce Miller was because Kap was going through his progressions and nobody was open. Bruce was the check down. Further evidence that our WRs cannot get open and Harbaugh needed to modify his plan.

or we needed a new plan and it was the plan and not the personnel. im not ready to hit the panic button the wr's where were the real vernon routes down the seam tonight? where were all the pick plays and play actions? where were the wr screens to patton or williams? where was the rest of the playbook? they left it entirely at home.

the offense is too complex and capable to be stifled like this unless the coaches do it themselves, which they accomplished big time tonight.

Seattle didn't even have 300 yards of offense, Wilson didn't even have 200 yards passing

he was only 8 for 19. and had really only 1 big play and 1 pass interference...

our offense got into the red zone and then got cute.. instead of running it right at them and imposing our will.

it made us look scared to attack when in reality it was JIM who was scared
Originally posted by calbear:
Its not complicated at all. There is one reason this game was a blowout. The Niner Offense could DO NOTHING tonight. But thats obvious. The question is WHY?

1. No running game
2. Nobody was getting open
3. Penalties
4. Out-coached

Here are the reasons why I think we were so ineffective in the above categories:

1 & 2 are related. Seattle put 8 in the box. The running game could not develop because they were daring us to throw the ball. Our passing game went to crap. KAp had time to throw and make plays, but NOBODY was open. Boldin was shutdown. Kyle was draped. The Seattle CBs were aggressive and we could not beat them one on one. Kaps INT at the goal line was against a zone, but most of the night Seattle played man and our WRs simply do not have the ability to get open. When you cannot beat man while the defense has 8 in the box, you are NOT going to be effective.

This brings me to 3. This team is not disciplined. Its hard enough to play in that environment, and some of the delay of games are to be expected. But there were numerous penalties (Brooks, Aldon, Nahmdhi, Gore, the Safety, holding) that made it impossible for this team to get into a rhythm. The injuries to Williams and Reid were also problematic. That said, the defense, which simply could not stop the run, still played decent in the first half. But the offense simply never got going and eventually the D could not hold up. Seattle was able to run on us because we played cover 2 all night. The read-option was effective because we could not stop the run up the middle. The loss of Williams really hurt in that regard.

Finally, 4 is the thing that irritates me. Football is a chess match. Seattle countered with 8 in the box. So what did we do? We kept trying the same thing again and again. Put Patton on the field. Bunch formation? Shift to get Boldin into a favorable coverage. Stop running it up the gut with 8 defenders in the box. Do SOMETHING to force them to play fair. Come up with a game plan. Run a screen (which we finally did with Kyle). Run off-tackle, pull on a sweep, do anything to get them to respect the run, and then setup the pass. But none of that can work if the defense doesnt respect your WRs. And frankly, we don't have a counter to man because the Seattle secondary is better than our WRs. Simple as that. Crabtree and Boldin together will get open and allow Kap to throw downfield. But we need a WR that can stretch the field. Until our WRs can get open and beat press, we will see 8 in the box. This is not on Kap, this is on bad game planning and WRs that are not getting open.

The other problem I saw is that Roman was again trying to get cute with his complicated shifts and motions in a Seattle stadium where the noise is literally deafening. I thought they needed to call some basic plays at the beginning to get the offense in rhythm. And I agree that our receivers could not get open, for which we had no answer. I actually think this is going to prove to be a major problem. We really have no respectable receiving corp, and this has been a problem for several years. I don't know if the problem is that we are not good at scouting receivers or that our receiving coaching is bad. Or, as you say, it's that our gameplans don't put our receivers in position to make plays. In any case, back to my point above, all I know is that you cannot come into an environment like that once at CLink and expect to be able to run plays with complicated shifts and motions. You could do that after you've established a rhythm on offense and quieted the crowd a bit, but not right from the get-go.
we lost because we lost to the physical battles upfront.we gave up the run and didn't run the ball effectively
Originally posted by real9erfan:
The other problem I saw is that Roman was again trying to get cute with his complicated shifts and motions in a Seattle stadium where the noise is literally deafening. I thought they needed to call some basic plays at the beginning to get the offense in rhythm. And I agree that our receivers could not get open, for which we had no answer. I actually think this is going to prove to be a major problem. We really have no respectable receiving corp, and this has been a problem for several years. I don't know if the problem is that we are not good at scouting receivers or that our receiving coaching is bad. Or, as you say, it's that our gameplans don't put our receivers in position to make plays. In any case, back to my point above, all I know is that you cannot come into an environment like that once at CLink and expect to be able to run plays with complicated shifts and motions. You could do that after you've established a rhythm on offense and quieted the crowd a bit, but not right from the get-go.

That is the perplexing and FRUSTRATING thing - WR talent has been a problem FOR YEARS!!! And yet the 9er staff does little about it.

PS - Did you see Patton get thrown down like a rag doll? Those Seattle DBs are physical. It seems to me the only way to beat them is with bunch formations where one receiver breaks out and runs crossing or underneath routes.
We laid an egg against a good team. It happens sometimes. I don't want our guys to act nonchalant about it (I want it to motivate the hell out of them) but there's no reason for us fans to lose all perspective. This is a 49ers team that is capable of being really, really good. We just have to go out and execute. We play against a good team next week, let's get prepared to whoop up on the Colts! Go 49ers!
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by real9erfan:

That is the perplexing and FRUSTRATING thing - WR talent has been a problem FOR YEARS!!! And yet the 9er staff does little about it.

PS - Did you see Patton get thrown down like a rag doll? Those Seattle DBs are physical. It seems to me the only way to beat them is with bunch formations where one receiver breaks out and runs crossing or underneath routes.

I did see that, and I do think that the Seattle DB's commit a lot of penalties that are not called. That one happened to be called, but in any case, there's no use complaining about it. We need to counter it. I was hoping they would make better use of Kyle Williams in this game, who I think would have fared better against the Seattle DB's due to his quickness. I agree that running bunch formations as you stated above is a good idea. Also running WR screens and TE wheel routes could have helped keep the defense honest. One thing I also don't understand; for the life of me, I don't understand why we try to run WR screens to Anquan Boldin. He doesn't have very good speed and cannot sneak past anyone.
the call was not consistent with what had been being called/noncalled all game

then McDonald takes one to the faces, throws back and gets the flag...

but I don't think the aldon wmith call really mattered in the long run...I don't see niners making up the point differential even if they held seahawks to a field goal on that series
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home