LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Is it time for a change at RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a change at RB?

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
wut?

Our defense kept Lynch to 3.5 ypc... Wilson threw under 50% and a whopping total of 142 yds and our D sacked him 4 times, picked him off.. and still is 13th ranked after contending with the high-powered Packers that always rack up yds against us.

Now you are calling out our D, after our offense sputtered and gave the ball away 4 times last game?

Consider the source! Defense looked really good most of the game and I was surprised they didn't just walk off the field when the offense kept shooting themselves in their feet. A really odd game that I blame on 1) personal motivation of the coach and Sherman, 2) rain, 3) noise, 4) really bad officiating, 5) terrible officiating (deserves at least two mentions, 6) our offense being uncharacteristically disoriented...committing dumb mistakes. CK's youth didn't help but being down on him for one bad game would be reactionary.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
wut?

Our defense kept Lynch to 3.5 ypc... Wilson threw under 50% and a whopping total of 142 yds and our D sacked him 4 times, picked him off.. and still is 13th ranked after contending with the high-powered Packers that always rack up yds against us.

Now you are calling out our D, after our offense sputtered and gave the ball away 4 times last game?

Consider the source! Defense looked really good most of the game and I was surprised they didn't just walk off the field when the offense kept shooting themselves in their feet. A really odd game that I blame on 1) personal motivation of the coach and Sherman, 2) rain, 3) noise, 4) really bad officiating, 5) terrible officiating (deserves at least two mentions, 6) our offense being uncharacteristically disoriented...committing dumb mistakes. CK's youth didn't help but being down on him for one bad game would be reactionary.

our defense kicked ass. they were on the field for nearly 40 minutes due to our offense not showing up and we lost 3 key starters on defense during the game. they only fell apart at the end due to the offense not giving them any time to rest.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
"since when is a fullback supposed to take on that much of an offensive role?" Go ask coach Rathman.

I'm not hating on Miller per see, but many teams have eliminated the Fullback position. They do this because in the last decade offensive styes have changed, and the Fullback has become a vestigial appendage, of no real use. Rather than Miller we could have another receiver, or running back available on game day.

If we are going to buck the current trend and carry a fullback, he should be of value, he should do more than block.

The reason Miller had a few looks last night is that is what the Seahawk defense was giving up, imagine if we had a playmaker at fullback, he could have taken over the game. The Seahawks left Miller and Gore alone on the check down and dump offs, because they are not a big threat to catch the ball.

So in short, if we keep a FB lets get us a real threat at that roster spot, or lets deactivate, or cut miller, and bring in another receiving threat, or a back to spell Gore.

please tell me of another FB in the NFL that is like that? Vonta Leach with his 175 total yards? John Khun with his 200 total yards? Henry Hynoski....nope
and you cant cound Marcel Reece because he was the ONLY running threat on the Raiders.

Plus Bruce Miller is on pace for 32 receptions on the year.....So I guess I dont really understand

Agreed, if we ran a traditional WCO, this would be a non-issue. Rathman would be a dynamic short yardage back and Gore/Hunter/James would be racking up the yards behind him. He'd also be used as a primary outlet when CK was in trouble and every once in a while, we'd use him on a wheel route out of the back field down the sideline for a mismatch on a LB for an easy TD. That is the WCO in a nutshell. The routes we had Miller run? I don't think even our WR's outside Boldin could make that play...catch. I do love that they tried to feature him more; just hate HOW they used him.

Thanks for getting me! LOL
Share 49ersWebzone