LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Is it time for a change at RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a change at RB?

Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
The problem with that is our defense can't stop anybody. The Alex Smith treatment worked because back then our defense was actually good. The D has regressed a lot.

wut?

Our defense kept Lynch to 3.5 ypc... Wilson threw under 50% and a whopping total of 142 yds and our D sacked him 4 times, picked him off.. and still is 13th ranked after contending with the high-powered Packers that always rack up yds against us.

Now you are calling out our D, after our offense sputtered and gave the ball away 4 times last game?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The problem with that is our defense can't stop anybody. The Alex Smith treatment worked because back then our defense was actually good. The D has regressed a lot.

wut?

Our defense kept Lynch to 3.5 ypc... Wilson threw under 50% and a whopping total of 142 yds and our D sacked him 4 times, picked him off.. and still is 13th ranked after contending with the high-powered Packers that always rack up yds against us.

Now you are calling out our D, after our offense sputtered and gave the ball away 4 times last game?

this x10
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

wut?

this x10
anyone who saw the game sunday should know there is nothing wrong with the defense,, the only problem is the awful offense allowed the d on the field to long and they just wore down. brooks and smith had a couple of foolish mistakes , they should know better but it pass that off as just frustration. the defense has not regressed and why do certain posters just still feel a need to bring alex smith back into the conversation
Replace him with the White Missile
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]

wut?

So giving up ~180 yds rushing is a good thing? I'm not saying the defense had an awful night...they did put pressure on RW and except for a couple big plays held him pretty much in check. Plus they were constantly put in bad spots by a horrid 49ers offense. But if you're just going to go by Lynch's ypc as a barometer of how they did against the run then that's just being willfully misinformed.

The fact of the matter is the Seahawks gashed the 49ers up the middle on read-option plays ALL NIGHT. It was only stupidity or charity that made them try to repeatedly run wide on stretch/sweep plays because the 49ers crushed those almost every time. But the RO up the middle? Lynch and Turbin had a field day. And then later in the game, when the 49ers still had a whisper of prayer to get back in it, there was a 2nd & 13...they went RO again, and A. Smith was so keyed on chasing down the RB up the middle that he crashed hard, but this time RW kept the ball and burned him for 9 yds. Next play was the TD pass to Lynch. And if you were watching closely, even in the 2nd half of the GB game, Lacy started consistenly ripping off 5-6 yard chunks up the middle. Granted, it's Aaron Rodgers, but still, giving up 4 TDs to a team that had a TOP of 21 minutes is nothing to hang your hat on.

I'm not expecting this defense to be the 2011 defense again, but I still think there are areas for concern, and the "well the Smiths are hurt" excuse doesn't work now. On the bright side there are just too many good players along with a proven DC for this trend to continue...I am hopeful and guess you could even say confident they'll get it fixed soon.
^ to clarify, our defense did allow some uncharacteristic runs at times... but I think most who watch understand that they got out-schemed as well as some home-cooking by the refs for not calling holds on their OL. But our D in THAT game did pretty well... our offense gave the ball to them far too often... and you won't win against good opponents on the road like that.

- TWO three-n-outs in the 1st quarter and punts

- a six-in-out to add... punt.

- an INT thrown when we were in the RZ ...

and that's just the 1st quarter.

- Safety given up by? the offense... yep. 2 pts

- 3-n-out that ends with Kaep fumbling the ball for a loss... giving the ball to Seattle inside the short 30.

- our D stops them to a FG... how bout that defense?

- then we have a 5-n-out.. punt

end of 2nd quarter

Defense stops them all half long, as the offense gave away those 5 points from the INT inside the short 30 and the safety.

3rd quarter

- Our defense gives up a TD drive... that's on them... our offense drives back but only gets 3

- Our defense gives up another long TD drive into the 4th quarter... also very much on them.

Okay... the offense has done not much o nothin'... lots of time in the 4th quarter and a 19-3 game... so let's get that offense rolling, right? Been waiting on em all night.

what happens on the 2nd play? Kaep under-throws the pass for an INT that Sherman returns inside their 25. Our D holds them to a FG.

So our offense has given up 8 points all by themselves.

Our offense answers by? failing to convert a 4th down and giving the ball back to them. Just under 8 minutes left in this game... down 22-3 and they have possession.

Our defense forces yet another punt... we get the ball back with 5 minutes left... what next? another Kaep INT. This time, the DB gets the ball 2 yds from their EZ. Are we to blame that following score on the defense?
Repeat, I'm not saying they were "terrible," and I know the offense was putting them in bad spots. But you're kidding yourself if you've watched these first two games and think the 49ers D is close to the bar they have set. And if you want bring the tail end of last season into the equation, including the Cards game where the D did dominate, that's 7 out of 8 games where the defense has essentially been a shell of what we've seen previously. It's not panic button time, and the secondary was expected to be the weak link...but when the front 7 still gets pushed around I do think it's a concern. But like I said, I think it's something they will fix soon, and obviously a well-functioning offense will make it that much easier to help the D get back to "elite" level.
wut?

Russell Wilson had a QB rating of about 23 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Just because some stupid penalties and turnovers allowed them to run up the score doesn't change the fact that the 49ers defense was kicking the s**t out of Seattle for the vast majority of the game. Minus the safety caused by the offense and the 49ers defense essentially gave up 10 points, might have been even less had Reid not gotten knocked out and thus Dahl wouldn't have been in the game to f**k up. The defense absolutely dominated and put on a good enough performance that if the offense had even been average, the 49ers would have won.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Repeat, I'm not saying they were "terrible," and I know the offense was putting them in bad spots. But you're kidding yourself if you've watched these first two games and think the 49ers D is close to the bar they have set. And if you want bring the tail end of last season into the equation, including the Cards game where the D did dominate, that's 7 out of 8 games where the defense has essentially been a shell of what we've seen previously. It's not panic button time, and the secondary was expected to be the weak link...but when the front 7 still gets pushed around I do think it's a concern. But like I said, I think it's something they will fix soon, and obviously a well-functioning offense will make it that much easier to help the D get back to "elite" level.

This is truly absurd. Look what Rodgers did to the Redskins this past Sunday. Green Bay looks mega explosive and the 49ers defense kept him to under 300 yards passing....so only about 180 less than what he went off against Washington for. The defense so far has been getting it done, they've been making plays when they needed to and have looked good.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

This is truly absurd. Look what Rodgers did to the Redskins this past Sunday. Green Bay looks mega explosive and the 49ers defense kept him to under 300 yards passing....so only about 180 less than what he went off against Washington for. The defense so far has been getting it done, they've been making plays when they needed to and have looked good.

Uh, Rodgers had about 330 vs. 49ers...and they scored 4 TDs with a grand total of 21 minutes TOP, and their OL/Lacy started to wear on them 3rd/4th qtrs. The offense gave them zero help vs. SEA, save for a couple plays they did make RW look pedestrian, but the SEA run game beat them up...if Hawks didn't get stupid with trying to run wide, Lynch/Turbin would have much more than the 130-140 combined they did get. Guess I have to repeat ad nauseum, not saying the 49ers D has been awful, but I think there are areas of concern based not just on what occurred at the end of last season, but also from these first two games.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
wut?

Russell Wilson had a QB rating of about 23 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Just because some stupid penalties and turnovers allowed them to run up the score doesn't change the fact that the 49ers defense was kicking the s**t out of Seattle for the vast majority of the game. Minus the safety caused by the offense and the 49ers defense essentially gave up 10 points, might have been even less had Reid not gotten knocked out and thus Dahl wouldn't have been in the game to f**k up. The defense absolutely dominated and put on a good enough performance that if the offense had even been average, the 49ers would have won.

Exactly right... agreed.

... but some wish to dump on our whole defense and even Gore to excuse the offensive failures. I says to that?
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Wow really. Get out of here. U only feed Gore 9 times and kap has his head in ass aand Roman is a joke calling the plays last two games and you wanna blame Gore. Blame kap and Roman today. Absolute joke out there. Didn't even try to run.

I understand your point, but how long can we wait for Gore to start clicking? 15? 25? 30 carries? In a hostel environment such as Seattle, how many 3rd and long situations will we find ourselves into waiting on Gore to pick it up?

We waited for Gore in the Title game and Superbowl and didnt give up on run and we won the title game and got back into game and controlled game becuase of Gore and the Run game. We in no way can rush 9 times or 10 times with Gore and expect to win. Gore is like our D line its what makes the offense work and puts less stress on Kap and passing game which he obviously cant handle as he has choked big time in Seattle twice already.
IT

WAS

RAINING

AND

LOUD

I do think that Gore has about one to two years left , tops. He's my favorite niner rb of all time. I hope we get a ring for him at least.
G Roman has got the running game all F*^%'d up. He has completely tossed out the power running game scheme. There have been slim to none power offensive formations that we have been used to and suit Frank Gore's running style. We have one of the better run blocking O-lines in the NFL and Roman has been using them as a finesse run blocking scheme. To this point I see Roman's philosophy is to center the running game around the read option, and so far it has been an EPIC fail. He needs to get back to a balanced running attack. Yeah we can compete and win enough games to get into the playoffs mostly on Kap's arm coupled with a sub-par running game. But when we play the big boys that just isn't going to get it done and we will be making a very early exit from the playoffs.
Phoenix put it exactly right, also i think we are missing crabs against a defense like that, everytime we face an elite defense we have to rely on the likes of kyle williams and our rookies to step up? would be nice to have another threat in case boldin and vernon get shut down, and gore and company continue to get stuffed. they basically did to us what we do to most teams, stuff the run and make that team one dimensional but they have an elite defense unlike most teams and can take away boldin, so thats when its nice to have crabs.
Share 49ersWebzone