There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it time for a change at RB?

Is it time for a change at RB?

  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,207
Doesn't help when a defender is there to meet Gore as soon as he gets the handoff, our O-line is crap right now.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Bruce Miller is a waste of a roster spot, we need a fullback that is a threat to run, and receive, or we shouldn't bother carrying one on the roster.

um i dont think this could be further from the truth
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Bruce Miller is a waste of a roster spot, we need a fullback that is a threat to run, and receive, or we shouldn't bother carrying one on the roster.

um i dont think this could be further from the truth

I disagree as well. But Miller was horrible yesterday.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I agree with the OP. People get mad when you question Frank Gore's abilities at this stage in his career but every RB slows down beyond 30. It's a proven fact. Name 1 pro bowl RB beyond 30 years old? I think Frank has lost more speed and burst than anything. His knowledge and pass blocking are saving him as a starter.

I think back to last week's game vs GB. The 3rd and 5 run on our last drive before Kaep hits Boldin on rollout 4th and 2. Gore gets a nice hole on the left side and has daylight in front of him but gets taken down from behind 1-2 yard short of the first down. It had to come down to the 4th and 2 rollout. Frank had the first down. Time to stop relying on big games from him. Save him for short yardage plays. Give Hunter more touches.


Tiki Barber was 32 in 2007
We used to be a running team, why have we abandoned the run game? Is it because Boldin and Williams are so f**king great?
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Bruce Miller is a waste of a roster spot, we need a fullback that is a threat to run, and receive, or we shouldn't bother carrying one on the roster.

um i dont think this could be further from the truth

I disagree as well. But Miller was horrible yesterday.

He is a fine blocker, but he is not a threat to run or catch a pass. I don't see how you can argue with that. He can catch a short dump off once in while, but really is he an offensive weapon, or could his blocking be handled by de linemen, or back-up guard.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I agree with the OP. People get mad when you question Frank Gore's abilities at this stage in his career but every RB slows down beyond 30. It's a proven fact. Name 1 pro bowl RB beyond 30 years old? I think Frank has lost more speed and burst than anything. His knowledge and pass blocking are saving him as a starter.

I think back to last week's game vs GB. The 3rd and 5 run on our last drive before Kaep hits Boldin on rollout 4th and 2. Gore gets a nice hole on the left side and has daylight in front of him but gets taken down from behind 1-2 yard short of the first down. It had to come down to the 4th and 2 rollout. Frank had the first down. Time to stop relying on big games from him. Save him for short yardage plays. Give Hunter more touches.


Tiki Barber was 32 in 2007

This. And what's this speed and burst stuff? When was that ever Gore's game?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He is a fine blocker, but he is not a threat to run or catch a pass. I don't see how you can argue with that. He can catch a short dump off once in while, but really is he an offensive weapon, or could his blocking be handled by de linemen, or back-up guard.

yes and if a D Linemen or backup guard is playing fullback, you know they aren't going to throw it to him, its too big of a tell that its going to be a run. At least with Miller you get the better blocking and the possible threat of receiving out of the backfield.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He is a fine blocker, but he is not a threat to run or catch a pass. I don't see how you can argue with that. He can catch a short dump off once in while, but really is he an offensive weapon, or could his blocking be handled by de linemen, or back-up guard.

He can catch well if the ball is thrown more to his body. that and being a great blocker... damn, bout all you can ask of dude.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I agree with the OP. People get mad when you question Frank Gore's abilities at this stage in his career but every RB slows down beyond 30. It's a proven fact. Name 1 pro bowl RB beyond 30 years old? I think Frank has lost more speed and burst than anything. His knowledge and pass blocking are saving him as a starter.

I think back to last week's game vs GB. The 3rd and 5 run on our last drive before Kaep hits Boldin on rollout 4th and 2. Gore gets a nice hole on the left side and has daylight in front of him but gets taken down from behind 1-2 yard short of the first down. It had to come down to the 4th and 2 rollout. Frank had the first down. Time to stop relying on big games from him. Save him for short yardage plays. Give Hunter more touches.

and are you referring to the play where Kaep messed up the handoff, and gore worked for that 3 yards??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,042
Originally posted by cwilson830:
I disagree as well. But Miller was horrible yesterday.

and everyone else was to, i think he caught one or two balls which is more than any wide out caught cept for kyle. you start naming guys who had a bad game and you find its easier to name a player who had a good game. i guess that would be dawson
Gore needs to be given less carries, he is getting too old. The Seahawks did exactly what we should be doing... running the ball and getting decent yardage and sticking with the run. But instead we abandon the run and become soft... sad. We get too cute just like the last drive of the Super Bowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,042
Originally posted by Kaepernick2014:
Gore needs to be given less carries, he is getting too old. The Seahawks did exactly what we should be doing... running the ball and getting decent yardage and sticking with the run. But instead we abandon the run and become soft... sad. We get too cute just like the last drive of the Super Bowl.
i am not sure this years version of the offensive line we have seen so far would have blocked well enough for one of our backs to make it into the end zone on second and goal from the five
Plus, Goldson is suspended for a game for an illegal hit. Lol
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He is a fine blocker, but he is not a threat to run or catch a pass. I don't see how you can argue with that. He can catch a short dump off once in while, but really is he an offensive weapon, or could his blocking be handled by de linemen, or back-up guard.

He can catch well if the ball is thrown more to his body. that and being a great blocker... damn, bout all you can ask of dude.

This! He was used completely differently than last year and he evidently isn't a polished receiver...how many DE's are? He catches well facing the ball on shorter routes, but I noticed on one drop that he had his hands backwards...needs to work on that aspect of his game, but he does much very well. It could also be that when QBs get a bit rattled they tend to throw too hard. Not sure that was a problem but I wouldn't want to play catch with CK when he's mad!