There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it time for a change at RB?

Is it time for a change at RB?

I'm all for replacing Gore when someone comes along and proves they're the better back.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
No one complained about the pistol offense or read option plays last year in the playoffs. Now it's a problem?

And the same guys blaming the offensive line every time we can't run the ball are the same people that want to sign Iupati to a mega deal.
we caught everyone with their pants down last year since we only ran the pistol after kap went it, everyone has had an entire offseason to study it now and look what happened. we couldnt run the last two weeks. even against greenbay where the threat to pass was HELLA established early on and we still couldnt get anything goin on the ground

Seem to work just fine for Lynch and Wilson last night.
No one complained about the pistol offense or read option plays last year in the playoffs. Now it's a problem?

And the same guys blaming the offensive line every time we can't run the ball are the same people that want to sign Iupati to a mega deal.
we caught everyone with their pants down last year since we only ran the pistol after kap went it, everyone has had an entire offseason to study it now and look what happened. we couldnt run the last two weeks. even against greenbay where the threat to pass was HELLA established early on and we still couldnt get anything goin on the ground

i didnt see too much read option stuff from them. they ran traditional sets a lot too. our offense was just shut down. it happens, next game we will be better. id rather get exposed early on so they can fix it than get smashed leading into the playoffs. the sky is not falling, we werent going to go undefeated and seattle in seattle is by far the hardest game on our schedule

i didnt see too much read option stuff from them. they ran traditional sets a lot too. our offense was just shut down. it happens, next game we will be better. id rather get exposed early on so they can fix it than get smashed leading into the playoffs. the sky is not falling, we werent going to go undefeated and seattle in seattle is by far the hardest game on our schedule

Yeah I know we'll be fine. My point is that the read option can still be effective. Wilson did use a lot of it last night. Collinsworth was saying it all night. He pointed out how hard Aldon or Brooks were crashing in on it. He said Wilson would eventually pull one back and keep it for a big gain and sure enough he did in the 4th quarter. RG3 is hurt and can't run it but CK can still have success in it. Up to Roman to scheme new plays with it.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yes I'm talking about Gore. We all know that he's up there in age. And while he still may be a great blocker, it's evident that his power, vision and speed are second class.

We can't have Kaep be our leading rusher every game. It puts too much stress on him and is not sustainable. At the very least, the carries need to be a lot more evenly divided amongst the other backs.

I miss delanie walker as well

Yeah I know we'll be fine. My point is that the read option can still be effective. Wilson did use a lot of it last night. Collinsworth was saying it all night. He pointed out how hard Aldon or Brooks were crashing in on it. He said Wilson would eventually pull one back and keep it for a big gain and sure enough he did in the 4th quarter. RG3 is hurt and can't run it but CK can still have success in it. Up to Roman to scheme new plays with it.
possibly but i think both wilson and kap are much better runners when plays break down. i dont know if harbaugh was in his ear about not running so often but they had a lot of plays last night that kap had wide open lanes and he didnt run. im hoping they use it more as a sub package so gore can get going. we will go nowhere if we cant run
possibly but i think both wilson and kap are much better runners when plays break down. i dont know if harbaugh was in his ear about not running so often but they had a lot of plays last night that kap had wide open lanes and he didnt run. im hoping they use it more as a sub package so gore can get going. we will go nowhere if we cant run

Yeah, it seems that the goal is to never let our 2nd string QB see the field. At all cost protect Kaep

If you can stomach it, watch the game again...the vast majority of Lynch's and Turbin's runs were RO plays, and note Wilson faking the keep/running each time. It was extremely effective, so much so in fact that it got A. Smith overplaying the give to the RB up the middle and he got torched on a 2nd & 13 when RW kept the ball and ran for 9 yds. Next play was the TD pass to wide-open Lynch. Only half-joking when I say Seattle was either stupid or charitable when they did stretch/sweep plays, because the Niners were stopping those but had no answer for the RO.

And I wouldn't be too quick to say this was the hardest game "by far"...the 49ers have been exposed in multiple areas in the first two games of the season. Yeah, I know not every team is the same caliber as GB or Seattle, but the blueprint is being created. If adjustments aren't made and some players start playing a whole lot better, this might not be the only ugly beatdown this season. That said, the 49ers have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and good coaches, they are more than capable of figuring this s*** out.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

If you can stomach it, watch the game again...the vast majority of Lynch's and Turbin's runs were RO plays, and note Wilson faking the keep/running each time. It was extremely effective, so much so in fact that it got A. Smith overplaying the give to the RB up the middle and he got torched on a 2nd & 13 when RW kept the ball and ran for 9 yds. Next play was the TD pass to wide-open Lynch. Only half-joking when I say Seattle was either stupid or charitable when they did stretch/sweep plays, because the Niners were stopping those but had no answer for the RO.

And I wouldn't be too quick to say this was the hardest game "by far"...the 49ers have been exposed in multiple areas in the first two games of the season. Yeah, I know not every team is the same caliber as GB or Seattle, but the blueprint is being created. If adjustments aren't made and some players start playing a whole lot better, this might not be the only ugly beatdown this season. That said, the 49ers have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and good coaches, they are more than capable of figuring this s*** out.
ill take your word for it but im not watching that s**tstorm again. just seemed like they were running a normal offense to me for most of the game. but i do think seattle is the toughest game on our schedule. i cant see any other team that is that physical on both sides of the ball and has talent everywhere for the most part. that being said i think we will get them back when we play them in SF in december. we will have a much better receiving corps by then with crabs and manningham back, hopefully patton can get his feet wet by then and our coaches can get the run game going. plus tank and dial will be ready to play by then as well so we'll have more talented depth on the d-line and some more attitude. i was very happy with the defense yesterday, the score is not indactive of what happened. seattle couldnt do s**t for most of the game but our offense not giving them any kind of rest eventually was just too much for them. we can learn ffrom this game.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Come on, Niner fans. That Seattle defensive front completely dominated the Niner o-line. Nobody could have run on that defense last night. Give them their due. It wasn't Frank Gore. It was the Seattle defense - they were awesome last night. And, there is no doubt about it. The silent count gives their defense an added little jump. When the o-line can't really hear and is waiting for the snap, there is a split-second of delay that they don't have in a normal game situation. It's a tremendous advantage for the Seahawks at home - even more than I thought going in.

Agree with this, but think the OLine played better pass blocking than run blocking. CK actually had some nice pockets and it looked like Seattle was trying hard to contain him...which didn't work very well. He ran outside for the most part because the middle was really closed off. Wish the 9ers still had a mauler type center to help a bit more but Goodwin has been better than I expected. Have no idea what A Davis' problem was last night! Good grief!
i think its kinda naive to say its time to move on from gore if we did that wed throw away the season. i wudnt say a change is necessary but use of what we did int he run game last year....USE OUR RUNNING BACKS. it makes absoulutely no sense we got all these backs with suc diversity an suchb great line AN USE THE OLDEST SLOWEST ONE. watch last year.. HUNTER GETS YARDS. hunter gets yards whenever hes on the field YET I DIDNT SEE HIM ONCE LAST NIGHT. that boggled my mind. vance mcdonald too this year whens he been on the field hes had huge catches so what do they do, keep him on the bench. our running game issue falls solely on our coaches because they are the ones deciding to use only gore or oldest slowest option. i realixe james cant play for aweek or 2 but we have hunter an dixion who can get yards against any D. that was not our players fault last night that was the coaches decision making. against GB too gore was gettin stuffed an they put hunter in an he got yardage but of course they took him out. this staff seems to do this alot which i dont get. with vance too, players that make good plays they leave on the bench an its costing us games. its going to cost us the season if they keep it up
59 yards on 22 carries.

47 yards on 20 carries.

42 yards on 17 carries.

This is Frank Gore's production the first three games under Jim Harbaugh two years ago. Some of you wanted to put him out to pasture then. Then Frank burst through 127 yards on 15 carries. It's already been said. Get back to the real power running, pulling guards, wham blocks. There has to be some holes. The few times Frank has gotten anything (over 3 yards), he basically made something out of nothing.

BTW, I'm with you DefenderDX.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedAndGold4Life:
I miss delanie walker as well

that makes one of you,, what is it with some people here today crying for x niners like walker, goldson and ginn. none of them would have made a difference, our rookie tight end will be just fine. none of the above were worth keeping and they or the lack of them is not the reason we lost the game last night, good lord with people and their x niner love affairs. i may like alex but certainly do not want him back and certainly know he would have made no difference last night.
Originally posted by cciowa:
that makes one of you,, what is it with some people here today crying for x niners like walker, goldson and ginn. none of them would have made a difference, our rookie tight end will be just fine. none of the above were worth keeping and they or the lack of them is not the reason we lost the game last night, good lord with people and their x niner love affairs. i may like alex but certainly do not want him back and certainly know he would have made no difference last night.

Agree--it may be a bit rough early with the changes but I'd rather have McDonald, Reid and Patton than Walker, Goldson and Ginn...any day and in almost every way!
No.