LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Glad you brought him up. I think he's got a shot this year; been developing for a couple years and should be ready once Sopoaga/RJF depart. He may end up going the Boone-route. Boone it Ian!

PS: We MAY see more of a rotation on the DL this year...I hope!

i cant see any scenario in which both RickyJ and Soap are gone.

You're right. They can't leave the position completely bare.

could Ian make the roster as a 3rd year PS player?
He will be able to show if he belongs on the team this training camp. He will most likely be competing against either RJF/Soap and a drafted rookie.
[ Edited by Wrathman on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM ]
Glad you brought him up. I think he's got a shot this year; been developing for a couple years and should be ready once Sopoaga/RJF depart. He may end up going the Boone-route. Boone it Ian!

x3. They'll sign one or the other. My money is on Ricky Jean-Francois. He's younger and I feel he could be much better at NT than Sopoaga. He's about 30 pounds lighter than Sopoaga, but he's an inch taller and can bulk up if need be.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
My guess is he is a borderline NFL talent who we kept as an emergency reserve. Depending on how this off season goes he could end up on the 53 or gone all together. I think the zone gushes to much about practice squad players like they are all superstars in waiting. Boone is the exception, not the rule. Our practice squad is not full of future probowlers that the coachs are refusing to put in the line up. Odds are dramatically in favor that the answer to our Wide reciever issues wont be found there and that Hampton isnt Gore's successor either. I hope they are just as much as the next guy...but I wouldnt count on it the way some do.

Boone was also a potential 1st round pick if he hadn't turned into an inebriate. Context is key to everything, Boone's off the field issues took him completely out of the draft, not his performance issues.
Basically he's camp fodder

could Ian make the roster as a 3rd year PS player?

He's been on the 53 man the last two years.
I'd like to see the Niners get serious about the 3-4 nose tackle position. Johnathan Jenkins, a 6'4", 360 lb player with a non-stop motor could be available if they trade some picks to move up in the second round for their second pick. A player that size absolutely needs multiple blockers, probably still crushes the pocket even with two blockers and is tall enough to get in QB's faces on top of that.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
My guess is he is a borderline NFL ent who we kept as an emergency reserve. Depending on how this off season goes he could end up on the 53 or gone all together. I think the zone gushes to much about practice squad players like they are all superstars in waiting. Boone is the exception, not the rule. Our practice squad is not full of future probowlers that the coachs are refusing to put in the line up. Odds are dramatically in favor that the answer to our Wide reciever issues wont be found there and that Hampton isnt Gore's successor either. I hope they are just as much as the next guy...but I wouldnt count on it the way some do.

Williams has never been on the PS. How is the quoted post relevant to the topic?
I don't think he'll make the team this season. If we draft a NT/DE early (like I expect) that should tell us all we need to know about Ian Williams roster spot.
  • mod
  • Veteran
reminds me of RJF with his progression

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd like to see the Niners get serious about the 3-4 nose tackle position. Johnathan Jenkins, a 6'4", 360 lb player with a non-stop motor could be available if they trade some picks to move up in the second round for their second pick. A player that size absolutely needs multiple blockers, probably still crushes the pocket even with two blockers and is tall enough to get in QB's faces on top of that.

I thought there were questions about his motor?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theginz2004:

I thought there were questions about his motor?

Non-stop at the dinner table. Doubts on the football field.

I watched the video of him (see below). I like his size but he seemed to be cut-block rather easily and wasn't very strong or elusive at the POC; pushed back a lot (recovers well) He looked like he was blocked one-on-one easily too (even by a TE solo - see :25 mark). And it appears like he's playing DT in a 4-3.

Post #10, first video.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/168942-2013-defensive-line-prospects/

You guys have any other insight? On a better true two-gap NT who can hold AND collapse the pocket?
I watched the video of him (see below). I like his size but he seemed to be cut-block rather easily and wasn't very strong or elusive at the POC; pushed back a lot (recovers well) He looked like he was blocked one-on-one easily too (even by a TE solo - see :25 mark). And it appears like he's playing DT in a 4-3.

Post #10, first video.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/168942-2013-defensive-line-prospects/

You guys have any other insight? On a better true two-gap NT who can hold AND collapse the pocket?

He's playing a lot of 3-4 DE (5-tech) in this video, as well as a little nose. Seems the predominant look Georgia shows is just the base 3-4 with the OLBs rolled up on the line of scrimmage.

Difficult to judge his ability to occupy multiple blockers or get push on stretch and other outside zone plays, a lot of which went opposite him. The one thing that does jump out is his movement, which is pretty damn solid for someone that's 6'3", 360.

Also, that's Auburn's RT blocking him at the 0:25 mark and he does a fairly solid job of holding his ground on the play in question. 3-4 DLs in base sets are not asked to penetrate gaps. It's a two-gap scheme, as you indicated.

If you want someone that's a little more explosive but doesn't eat up quite as much space, Sylvester Williams is probably the guy.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Post #10, first video.

He's playing a lot of 3-4 DE (5-tech) in this video, as well as a little nose. Seems the predominant look Georgia shows is just the base 3-4 with the OLBs rolled up on the line of scrimmage.

Difficult to judge his ability to occupy multiple blockers or get push on stretch and other outside zone plays, a lot of which went opposite him. The one thing that does jump out is his movement, which is pretty damn solid for someone that's 6'3", 360.

Also, that's Auburn's RT blocking him at the 0:25 mark and he does a fairly solid job of holding his ground on the play in question. 3-4 DLs in base sets are not asked to penetrate gaps. It's a two-gap scheme, as you indicated.

If you want someone that's a little more explosive but doesn't eat up quite as much space, Sylvester Williams is probably the guy.

Fantastic assessment and much appreciated. I really defer to you draft experts this time of year. I'll take over once they become Niners! LOL.

Thanks for the clarification...thought #51 might have been a TE. The one point you noted that I did notice as well was the fact that teams did typically run away from him (and he does have good movement esp. for his size).
Share 49ersWebzone