There are 162 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
yeah that is mammie made
I got paid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIThvK-zIM

Peanut butter and jelly time!
I guess they see enough that he should be a part of the rotation next season. With the recent success of NaVorro Bowman after the departure of Takeo Spikes, Isaac Soaopaga after the departure of Aubrayo Franklin (for one season at least), and Alex Boone over any RG over the last few years, I'm confident in this staffs ability to identify good talent on the roster. I still think we will draft a NT in the first three rounds however.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
rotational and backup player to take RJF's place. I see us drafting a true nose tackle, and maybe resigning Sopoaga as a stop gap solution.

Ooops.
DT Glenn Dorsey set for a visit to 49ers on Wedsday. He was a beast in College but has not lived up to hype in the NFL but we need bodies up front bad!!
I personally like that we didn't shell out extra money for Sopoaga and RJF. We'll miss their experience and skill, for sure, but I think we would've had to overpay... especially for Sopoaga. The guy doesn't play a lot of snaps for us, with the league going pass-happy.

I think we'll get similar, cheaper results by getting young guys who will rotate in and out. Only thing I worry about is when we DO play physical teams that can run the ball (Seattle).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This shows me that they want to keep young guys and build the team through the draft. This will allow us to keep our own players later instead of losing them to FA.

what has this guy done to make you think he deserves this kind of money? he had a nice pre season??

He must be doing pretty well in practice. We do not see them practice.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
I could see him taking over at NT. I dont think hes quick enough to be a DE at all

He played four years at Norte Dame.

Three of those years, he played 3-4 nose tackle.

The other year, he played 4-3 tackle.

He is listed at 6-1 305.

Coming our of college (at the Combine) his listed weight was almost 320.

If he gets back to a solid 320, this could end up being a positive surprise.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
I'm liking the buzz so far ....

Ian Williams has been getting reps with the first team base defense. The third-year nose tackle out of Notre Dame shows good explosion off the ball and quickness into the backfield. He was a handful for Alex Boone when the first team offense was lined up against the No. 1s on defense. Williams is lighter on his feet than the 49ers' former nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga and more apt to rushing the passer in base situations. The question about Williams is if he can be stout against the run. Run stuffing is where newcomer Glenn Dorsey might have an advantage.

http://sfo.scout.com/2/1310874.html

Ian Williams continues to practice with the first-team defense at nose tackle. On the first play of team drills, he got underneath guard Alex Boone and flushed Kaepernick from the pocket. Williams has an excellent motor and he won't be easy to dislodge from the starting unit.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/training-camp-d4-spillman-starts-but-reid-shines-at-safety.html#storylink=cpy
And maybe this is part of the reason Ike wasn't offered a contract? Good things so far

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Glad Williams is showing he belongs, I wanted the 9ers to draft him in the 4th round. And I was trippin even more when they signed him as a UDRFA.
Says a lot about our player development if this guy can hold it down at the nose
I am happy for Ian. I am a ND fan, and never want a Notre Dame guy on the 49ers, just hate it, dont want to see them turn out bad. But Ian is a special player. NT will be his position, he will be a new, young and better Sopoaga, and Dorsey better RJF.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm liking the buzz so far ....

Ian Williams has been getting reps with the first team base defense. The third-year nose tackle out of Notre Dame shows good explosion off the ball and quickness into the backfield. He was a handful for Alex Boone when the first team offense was lined up against the No. 1s on defense. Williams is lighter on his feet than the 49ers' former nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga and more apt to rushing the passer in base situations. The question about Williams is if he can be stout against the run. Run stuffing is where newcomer Glenn Dorsey might have an advantage.

http://sfo.scout.com/2/1310874.html

Ian Williams continues to practice with the first-team defense at nose tackle. On the first play of team drills, he got underneath guard Alex Boone and flushed Kaepernick from the pocket. Williams has an excellent motor and he won't be easy to dislodge from the starting unit.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/training-camp-d4-spillman-starts-but-reid-shines-at-safety.html#storylink=cpy

+1. I heard how he was a top undrafted FA a couple of years ago and, after learning more about him, was happy he came to the Niners. Then, the team extended him this past offseason so they must think pretty highly of him from his practice time and the work he puts in. If he can be a reliable part of the DL, we're in good shape and could definitely be better off with him and Dorsey vs. what we had last year in Sop and Jean-Francois. Regarding Dorsey, maybe Tomsula can bring out the best in him and have him fulfill more of his potential than in KC?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I am happy for Ian. I am a ND fan, and never want a Notre Dame guy on the 49ers, just hate it, dont want to see them turn out bad. But Ian is a special player. NT will be his position, he will be a new, young and better Sopoaga, and Dorsey better RJF.

Even though this may be irrelevant, but he never struck me as a special player in ND. Maybe he's one of those rare players that were mediocre in college and excels in the pros....
Share 49ersWebzone