LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 321 users in the forums

Your Concerns And Issues Discussion And Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Concerns And Issues Discussion And Poll

We looked lost N got pushed around like little b*itchs get back to smash mouth football stop tha hype no one will roll over for us.....
I think we missed Delanie Walker in this game. His blocking and ability to get open. No knock on Vance, he's a rookie so I don't expect him to be Delanie yet. The pistol was so much more effective with Delanie's elite blocking and speed to get open. Maybe the idea behing Marecic, if he's still an option, is for blocking out of the diamond pistol line up. Just some food for thought
any word on the Vernon Davis hamstring injury? ::::::fingers crossed for not serious::::::
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I think we missed Delanie Walker in this game. His blocking and ability to get open. No knock on Vance, he's a rookie so I don't expect him to be Delanie yet. The pistol was so much more effective with Delanie's elite blocking and speed to get open. Maybe the idea behing Marecic, if he's still an option, is for blocking out of the diamond pistol line up. Just some food for thought

Sounds like the need for two fullbacks.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

Harbaugh didn't run those formations at Stanford..didn't need to
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
any word on the Vernon Davis hamstring injury? ::::::fingers crossed for not serious::::::

seriously...him and ray need to be ok...who knows for eric reid
The offensive line's run blocking is what currently concerns me most.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

I think the fact we haven't heard anything probably is a sign it isn't serious. Normally serious injuries are circulated in the media's reports continuously.
Hopefully it will be back to the basics against Indy.
28 and 31 look like crap

Originally posted by 5280High:
It's f@ckin Seattle in Seattle, this is their Super Bowl, pretty much what I thought would happen.

quote for the f'n truth...

only thing i'm worried about is the Secondary...running game will get sorted out...GB was selling out to stop it. seattle is always tough up there...we'll be fine. 13-3 #1 seed. we'll see seattle 2 more times this season and both times will in SF.

NOT WORRIED AT ALL.
Hope the recent signing helps in straightening out our run game.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Hope the recent signing helps in straightening out our run game.

It has nothing to do with the runner, is the O-line. They have been stuffed 2 games in a row now. Sometimes is hard for us fans to spot what is going on or going wrong when we watch the game. I will take Greg Cosell's word cos he always goes through film with a fine-tooth comb. This is what he saw :

NFL analyst and NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell watches as much NFL game film as anyone. Throughout the season, Cosell will join Shutdown Corner to share his observations on the teams, schemes and personnel from around the league.

In Cosell's first post each week, he will feature a few of the games from the previous week and break down the coaching decisions and players who stood out.

Seahawks 29, 49ers 3

• Overall this was a poor performance by 49ers offense both tactically and physically. The Seahawks are not that multiple schematically; against San Francisco they predominantly just lined up and played.

• The 49ers do not ask quarterback Colin Kaepernick to do a lot of progression reading. They scheme his success. Against the Seahawks, the 49ers struggled to scheme open receivers. Shifts, motion, bunch and stack formations were not a part of the 49ers' approach, as they were against the Packers.

Kaepernick played fast without a lot of poise. He was uncertain and tentative in the pocket. Kaepernick stayed too long on primary reads and left plays on the field, including a touchdown on third and goal at the 3-yard line in the third quarter, when he showed a lack of patience and vision. On Earl Thomas' red zone interception, it was an inaccurate throw by Kaepernick, He had Vernon Davis wide open and threw it too far outside.

• The Seahawks' secondary was better than the 49ers' receivers. Normally Seattle's Richard Sherman stays at left cornerback, but he followed Anquan Boldin much of the game, including in the slot. Boldin cannot separate against quality man coverage. He needs help to get open, from formation and play design. Boldin gets exposed when you line him up outside the numbers against quality corners. This was a game in which the 49ers' loss of receiver Michael Crabtree was a factor.

• The 49ers' offensive line got handled in run game for the second consecutive week, which is a concern. This was as poor a game as I've seen left guard Mike Iupati play. Right tackle Anthony Davis also had a bad game, especially in pass protection.

• In the first half, Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch's success running the ball came out of three-receiver sets versus San Francisco's nickel defense. From "11" formations (one back, one tight end) he had eight carries for 71 yards. Lynch was a sustaining factor in run game; quarterback Russell Wilson made a few throws but the Seahawks offense did not dominate the 49ers defense. Wilson was again tentative in the first quarter, and had an inaccurate throw to tight end Zach Miller on what would have been a touchdown in the second quarter.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM ]
Coaches people. The Seattle front 8 knew exactly what was going with our 2te/hb formation. It should've.been obvious after the 1st series I guess it didn't help that technically seattle dn't have to play a deep safety either. I'm starting.to think they don't make half time adjustments which is why I'm not gonna blame the players. Roman was out coached and blaming any individual player makes no sense at this point. Harbaugh didn't rally his troops but they played.their.heart.out none the less.
As crazy as it sounds, my biggest concern is our supposedly "elite" defense. The fact of the matter is, we haven't been able to stop a good offense in about a year. Sure, there were games we won, but we won in a shootout and the D made a key defensive stop or two, but teams put up points on us at will.

What was the last good (playoff caliber) offense we really shut down? I guess the Bears last year? But IIRC they weren't playing so hot at the time.

We didn't shut down Seattle last week (29 pts). We didn't shut down GB the week before (28 pts). We didn't shut down Baltimore in the Superbowl (34 pts). We didn't shut down the Falcons in the playoffs (24pts). We didn't shut down the Packers in the playoffs. (31 pts). We didn't shut down Seattle in the regular season last year (42 pts). The Patriots (34 pts), We were solid, but not shut down against the Saints (21 pts), We did shut down the Bears (7 pts), and an ugly game against Seattle where nobody scored (6pts), but the Giants put up plenty on us (26pts), and we got the win week one against the Pack, but they scored on us. (22pts).

So, for the past year plus, including the playoffs, our average against good teams with playoff level offenses is pretty much 28 points. 4 touchdowns. All the numbers that made our defense "elite" came against inferior opponents. (And of course, you should dominate them). But our D is not doing what an elite D should do against teams that execute well offensively.

I think much of it may be coaching, but regardless of the reason, this is far and away my biggest concern. If we are a team that prides itself on having a dominant defense and is built around that mentality, we need to be able to stop the dominant offenses in the NFL, not just the average or worse ones so that our stats look good.
Share 49ersWebzone