LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Williams Earns Praise at 49ers Camp

The third-year defensive lineman has been given the bulk of first-team reps at nose tackle and has earned high marks from his defensive coordinator and fellow teammates.

"Ian has been amazing so far," six-time Pro Bowl inside linebacker Patrick Willis said. "He's been a part of the system for a while now, but to step into a starting role like he has so far… he's been unbelievable."

Willis went on to rave about Williams' "natural ability to move" as a 6-foot-1, 305-pound defensive lineman.

Williams' conditioning has improved, but he's always been a talented player. Alex Boone feels like Williams has consistently been a tough matchup in practice. "He's the kind of guy you like to play against," the starting right guard said. "Gives you good reps, really gives you a good feel for how it's going to be in a game."

Williams has turned into a quality professional lineman in a short period of time. Fangio couldn't exactly pinpoint why Williams went undrafted, but thinks the 49ers are fortunate to have the young lineman competing on defense.

"Trust me, he should've been drafted," the respected coordinator said.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Williams-Earns-Praise-at-49ers-Camp/c9b65979-3391-4ce9-8cc6-bd29dfeee873
Possible wild card right there with Ian Williams...hey, they all passed on Montana round after round.

Just sayin

Love our front office
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Possible wild card right there with Ian Williams...hey, they all passed on Montana round after round.

Just sayin

Love our front office

did you just compare Ian Williams (good story in camp, definitely will make the roster and potentially start) with the greatest QB ever?

( I love our FO too, but that's a Grand Canyon-stretch there!)
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Just sayin

Love our front office

did you just compare Ian Williams (good story in camp, definitely will make the roster and potentially start) with the greatest QB ever?

Well if we're going to talk about value, then Brady was the biggest draft steal ever.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Just sayin

Love our front office

Well if we're going to talk about value, then Brady was the biggest draft steal ever.

This is true, there are some other good ones too...

Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder too
  • buck
  • Veteran
This is true, there are some other good ones too...

Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder too

There are 14 undrafted free agents in the Hall of Fame; talk about big steals.
uys
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/nfl.hall.of.famers.not.drafted/content.1.html
[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
There are 14 undrafted free agents in the Hall of Fame; talk about big steals.
uys
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/nfl.hall.of.famers.not.drafted/content.1.html

Interesting. Five of the fourteen are defensive backs. Some huge names too, WIllie Brown, Emlin Tunnell, Willie Wood, Night Train Lane.
Started a whole "nuther" conversation right there lol.

Look, I'm not comparing Ian Williams to Joe Montana. All I meant is the 49ers find diamonds in the rough, over and over again.

For all we know, Ian in very large.

When the whole staff telegraphs it its either a diversion or straight on.

Its why they call us 49er faithful.

I'm going with straight on until proven otherwise.
We are now seeing real player development - Ian, Kilgore, Looney, TBrown - this is what championship caliber teams do.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We are now seeing real player development - Ian, Kilgore, Looney, TBrown - this is what championship caliber teams do.

And what our previous management teams simply could not do. At all.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

we lost our starting NT to FA and also our backup. And yet we are upgrading

‏@MaioccoCSN 49ers DL Ray McDonald: "Nothing against Isaac (Sopoaga) or Ricky (Jean Francois), but we think he (Ian Williams) is an upgrade."
I agree... Ive watched him for two years and he is missing heart. The way he plays now is all physical and nothing more. He needs to add heart and stay above the game to become anything in this league. personially if he makes roster this year then he needs to put up and if he doesnt then move on. B/H knows what they are doing and know when to let someone go... I just hope this guy steps up to the next level and distroys the cains of luckworm playing.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Interesting. Five of the fourteen are defensive backs. Some huge names too, WIllie Brown, Emlin Tunnell, Willie Wood, Night Train Lane.

I have to think many of them did not get drafted because they went to small black colleges and the established racial tenor of their times.

I might be wrong, but that is my best guess.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM ]
If we get strong competent play from BOTH Williams and Dorsey, we are going to be way way ahead of the curve from 2012.

Imagine Williams = 400 - 600 snaps, Dorsey = 400 - 600 snaps. Imagine these guys subbing in here and there for Ray, Justin but mostly keeping the beef off our designated running back punishers Patrick and NoVarro. Just what the doctor ordered. And we're not even talking about Tank. If we get 100 - 200 snaps from, that will be just what the doctor ordered.
Share 49ersWebzone